Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0.657.0 Final

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Nanobot, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm average. I do like MSE's Zen-like simplicity. There's a lot to be said for being simple. I have tried Bullguard, Norton & McAfee in the past. There's way less to go wrong with simple IMHO.

Well, I'm average but not 50+ & it is way perfect for me. It does work very well on Win 7 64 bit. However, the system tray icon hangs red at start-up sometimes. It is fairly rare though. I have read other people have had the same problem, I take it is a known bug. It works well on Vista as well.

I have a lot of faith in it. Avast! free would almost certainly have been my second choice if MSE had proved to be troublesome.

That's interesting. I wonder why it slows XP?

2. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

"It does work very well on Win 7 64 bit. However, the system tray icon hangs red at start-up sometimes. It is fairly rare though. I have read other people have had the same problem, I take it is a known bug. It works well on Vista as well."

Any easy fixes?

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Hugger, I used to have the red icon and sometimes no icon, but ever since I performed the fix in this Post, the icon stays green all the time. Greg S Post has a registry tweak to hide the window. Just FYI.

4. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

After the new engine update a week or so ago i have not seen the problem in Vista so far.

5. Daveski17

JRViejo's fix looks interesting. To be totally honest, it is rare for it to happen either on my Vista 32 bit laptop or Seven 64 bit desktop. I am sure MS are working to fix this as it is a known bug. It could be a fix in the last updates for all I know.

6. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

My email notifications are all screwed up with Wilders so I don't know if I've posted this info or not in this topic. My red icon issue was fixed by setting Win 7 Security Center to Automatic intsead of Automatic (Delayed start).

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks JRViejo, no icon was my issue also.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Kerodo, you're welcome! Take care.

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'm not sure if my solution would be effective or not, since I never experienced that problem (that I was aware of, anyway), but MSE adds the following autorun entry:

Code:
    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    And, it's added for Local Machine (every user).

Has anyone tried the following approach: Create a scheduled task to run MSE with option -hide -runkey and start this task under user name SYSTEM?

You could try that and see if it solves it.

10. robinb

robinb Registered Member

You know i just noticed that my icon for mse was not there on my 64bit Windows 7 Pro. I tried the suggestion about putting it in startup but what happens when it boots up is MSE loads in your face with the full program opening. So i deleted the shortcut.

I only want it to load in startup without having to reboot the machine. This happens to me on and off.

I also notice it turns red then when everything else loads it turns green when it does load in startup.

BTW when it doesn't load it is still working in the backround because i did a eicar test and it popped up screaming that i had a virus so at least I do know it is working but when it is doing a scan I will not know since the icon is not there.

What does the registry key do? does it make it load in startup? only or does it do the same thing as the other fix?
    I do not want it to popup in my face on boot up, i just want it to sit pretty in the taskbar like the other icons that are there.

This doesn't happen on any of my other computers running in 32bit.
    robin

11. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

JRViejo,
    Great. Thanks for the help.
    Hugger

12. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

This was a major annoyance for me with MSE, but even applying this setting did not resolve things. Initially I thought this had something to do with the fact that I have an oldish machine with 5400 RPM drive, but I observed the same thing with 7200RPM and SSD drives too. So it looks like it's a problem with MSE. Totally unrelated but avast! and Norton AV never have issues starting up fully-functional.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Hugger, you're welcome as well. Take care.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

robinb, I can not answer that, because I did not perform Greg S registry tweak. In my case, I like the fact that the MSE GUI opens in the Desktop so I can manually download definitions first thing in the morning. That same start-up procedure might not fit everyone. Perhaps Greg S will come back and explain if the tweak was ever applied.

15. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Presently, I do not have MSE on board. The code is just the path to where MSE is on your hard drive. Partition letter would have to match your install of course. Actually this is not a reg tweak. The info is already in the registry at the startup/run location, be it Local Machine or Current User. Since I don't have MSE installed, I don't know for sure which location it writes the startup values too. It's going to either be at
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    or
    Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    The -hide is what will hide the UI on startup

16. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

It creates the Local_Machine entry.

As I previously mentioned, those having problems with MSE, and do not wish to follow JRViejo approach, could try what I mentioned:

Using user name SYSTEM, will make the task start to every account.

Make sure the task is started before session start. Not sure if it makes any difference, though.

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Greg S and m00nbl00d, thank you both for your contributions to the topic!

18. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I agree here. This would be the more preferred way of doing it for those who are familiar with Task Scheduler

19. Daveski17

OK. thanks for the info. :thumb:

20. robinb

robinb Registered Member

interesting, MSE is set to Automatic- not delayed automatic and today when i started the machine- there it was in the taskbar.
    As said with me it is on and off
    If microsost doesn't fix this in next upgrade I will just either reboot or use the method of shuffing it in my face on startup :p
    Just for this small annoyance i will not uninstall it because it still works fine otherwise, unless someone has another solution
    but thanks for the ideas
    robin

21. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Maybe we are talking the same thing here but I was thinking that the Security Center is a separate service than MSE. Security Center is the service I was referring to about being set to Automatic. At the time, mine was set to Automatic (Delayed start). Switching it to Automatic cleared up my MSE tray icon issues. It's been a while since I've had MSE on board.

22. Daveski17

OK, it seems to be behaving itself on both of my machines at the moment. I wonder whether it is some systems tray bug. On my Vista laptop I have had odd things happen in the tray on start up. It is comparatively rare, but I have had icons missing, sometimes I would get two McAfee icons appear! (Double scary! LOL :eek: :eek: )

My Win7 (64 bit) desktop seems to be free of these problems. Anyway, a reboot will solve the 'red' icon hanging for MSE. I'm pretty sure MS are trying to solve this. Well, I hope they are! ;)

23. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I get this tray icon issue with Win 7 frequently. Just today as a matter of fact was the latest. I was missing three tray icons. A look in Task Manager shows that they are all running but the tray icons are Awol. I can select customize icons for the tray and those icons for that boot period will be missing. It will just have the text label listed as what the app is. It bugs me to no end so I usually kill the app and start it again.

24. Daveski17

It seems much rarer on my Win 7 computer, if it happens on either computer I just reboot & it normally fixes itself. From what I can remember this bug used to happen to XP as well. I have a strange feeling that this is the root of the problems people are experiencing with the MSE tray icon. I don't think I have ever known anybody who has never experienced this 'tray icon disappearing behaviour'. For all we know MS have been trying to fix this for years!

25. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Exactly. Like the infamous partial hidden taskbar/tray tooltips. It took them until XPSP3 to fix it. This is the one where for no particular reason, tooltips would be partially hidden under the taskbar when hovering over taskbar or tray icons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.