Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0.657.0 Final

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Nanobot, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

It's in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services

It's also listed under the other CurrentControlSet's. To see which one you are presently using, go to this key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select and in the right hand pane, note the Current number/value.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, but I was replying to user sm1. I meant that I wasn't seeing any of those entries under the hidden devices in device manager. I just forgot to mention to whom I was replying. Sorry for any confusion. :D

3. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

My hidden devices of that were in a different location in the registry and I also had plenty in there as well.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Greg, I took a scan through all 3 of those directories and so no mass of repeated entries like in the screenshot.

5. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

It could just be my old laptop or something I'm running in addition to MSE. I've always had issues that others haven't, lol. When I uninstalled MSE, I manually deleted the listings from the Services key. On a hunch, I decided to look in device manager at Hidden Devices. That's when I saw all those entries. Scratching my head, I went back into the registry under enum/root and saw the Hidden Devices there as well. When I install MSE again, I will post screenshots of mine. I did reinstall MSE in another snapshot yesterday and my CPU issue was cleared up so I will probably reinstall soon. I don't know why a definition update would have caused such high CPU for so long of time but it did.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Was it running Windows 7?

7. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Yes it was

8. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Hi, to see those entries you can do this:

Open Command prompt (cmd in admin mode).

Write command "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" without quotes and press Enter.

Write command "devmgmt.msc" to open device manager.

Don't close command prompt yet.
    In Device Manager
    --> View --> Show hidden devices

Alternative way:

Windows Button -> Control panel -> System -> Advanced system settings ->
    System properties -> Advanced tab -> Environment variables

Then add a "New" System variable
    devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices with a value of 1

Press OK on all screens.

Then, go to device manager. Then enable "Show hidden devices" in the View menu.

Then navigate to "Non Plug n Play devices"

I got these steps here but I forgot the threads:D

9. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

@Chris

I don't get a constant stream but I do research a good amount of malware samples/links. What requirements are needed to work something out? Most of my samples are just links but I grab new files every once in a while.

10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, I'm aware of those steps. But, what I meant was in my system there was no such mess, like the other user has show in the provided image.

11. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Then does it have anything to do with UAC settings? Is your setting default, maximum or disabled? My OS is vista in which the UAC is always maximum and cannot change it. Or do you use any system maintenance utility which cleans these unnecessary junk?

12. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

How does this free antivirus compare with other free antivirus like Avast 6.0 and AVG 10

13. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

sorry we cant compair them here. I use MSE

14. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

I don't see any reason for you to be switching from avast! or any other AV for that matter unless you are having issues with it. Of course, this is more true IMHO in case of avast. MSE like they said about Neo in the Matrix, has the potential, but looks like it's waiting for something.

15. element119

element119 Registered Member

PERFECT

16. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

it is less customizable (maybe the least customizable AV) and this is a major minus for me

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Really? How is it less customizable than other AVs? I find it adequate.

18. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, is this a rhetorical question or what? MSE has about zero customization/settings available. Everyone knows it. It is good for people that cannot handle any AV settings/prompts or for those who are just fine with it, it is not for me though.

19. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes! That's exactly what I like about MSE. It doesn't bug me with prompts, is simple & just gets on with its job. "Perfick!" as Pop Larkin would say. :)

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

No it wasn't rhetorical. You must be the rhetorical one, thinking that settings for updates, history, scheduled scans, alert levels, real-time protection modules, exclusions, scan locations, online community, etc means zero customization.

21. doktornotor

Geez, go, install Avast, AVG, or heck even Avira Free, and look... Then go, look at MSE. Thnxbye. :rolleyes: :thumbd:

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

There nothing major missing from MSE settings. Just minor tweaks and other components.

Go install Panda Cloud, Ad-Aware Free, or even ZenOK.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  23. doktornotor

Eh, you are just dense. Bye. :rolleyes:

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Instead of pathetic name calling, how about you tell me exactly what important settings are missing from MSE?

Also you haven't even tried to reply to my list of AVs.

25. robinb

robinb Registered Member

It is perfect for the average user who doesn't know how to configure an antivirus program like Avast, or AVG, because there is really nothing to configure unless you want to set up a scan other than the default.

Since most of my clients are 50+ it is way perfect for them. I also find it works great with Windows 7 (go figure) better than with XP.

I have it on 3 of my business machines and i have tested it with the best of them and it does do what it says it does.

I have Avast Free on all my XP machines, I had MSE but it seemed to slow them down.

just my opinion.
    robin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.