AV Definition update caused error

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ThomasAdams, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomasAdams

ThomasAdams Registered Member

I received this error (see attached) immediately after Nod32 update the AV definitions. Virus signature database: 5418 (20100902).

Windows XP w/SP3 32-bit

Anyone else getting the same error?

Edit:
    Version 4.0.437.0 (updating now, I had not realized there was an update).

This issue seems to have been corrected with subsequent AV definition updates, and restarts. I was unable to come back and reply as my machine had went down for a bit. However I appreciate the quick response! Thank you Eset.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you are using the latest version 4.2.64, download Procdump and run it with the parameters "procdump -ma ekrn.exe". When you have the dump ready, let me know so that I can provide you with further instructions.

3. zloyDi

zloyDi Registered Member

Hi Marcos!
    I have this problem too
    After run procdump with the parameters "procdump -ma ekrn.exe"
    I have error Error opening ekrn.exe (1080)

What to do?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That could be due to active Self-defense. If it's possible to reproduce the crash easily, disable self-defense, restart the computer, reproduce the crash and generate an application dump using Procdump.

5. PhoenixUA

PhoenixUA Registered Member

Same error with 5418.
    NOD32 4.2.40

6. Phonemes

Phonemes Registered Member

I am also having these memory errors with def update 5418. It happened during the def update itself, once during a reboot, and after right clicking the trash bin, after which my computer froze and I had to use the power button to shut the system down.

Next I got a warning that a serious error had occured in Outlook when the addin eset\esetno~\eplgou~1.dll was last opened.

NOD32 is wreaking havoc on my computer.

Edit: forgot to tell that I also got a message from Eset that my windows update software was outdated. Checked that on the windows update site and no updates whatsoever showed up.

Win XP Pro SP3

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  7. mastj25

mastj25 Registered Member

Same error with 3.0.695 and 3.0.684 Sig 5418

8. minerat

minerat Registered Member

A lot of our XP SP3 machines are just flat out locking up with this update ( 5418 ). We're on the 4.0.437 client. How do we roll back?

9. yadnom

yadnom Registered Member

We are having the same issue with the PCs on our network. Latest update 5418 causing lockups and getting blank threat alert triggers.

Running Windows XP SP3 workstations.

10. dwood

dwood Registered Member

Yeah we are seeing this error on a few machines 4.2.35 installed.

We are seeing these error in the System log.

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 26
    Date: 02/09/2010
    Time: 14:22:31
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    Application popup: ekrn.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x7c809823" referenced memory at "0x009b2f00". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
    Click on CANCEL to debug the program

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 26
    Date: 02/09/2010
    Time: 14:24:28
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    Application popup: ekrn.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x7c809823" referenced memory at "0x009b2a68". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
    Click on CANCEL to debug the program

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

11. brou

brou Registered Member

Same behavior here. I've been resetting machines (all happened to be XP SP3) for the past 30 minutes. Phone doesn't stop ringing for this.

12. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I have had eset service shut down on a machine with XP SP3 - it manifested itself with an error between ESET & Outlook plugin when Quickbooks 2008 tried to send an email on another XP SP3 machine, and on my personal Win 7 Ultimate the eset service ended abruptly as well - 5418 on all machines.

13. AndrewGVS

AndrewGVS Registered Member

Good grief, 5418 has done the business, not only PC's hanging, but unable to log onto Terminal Servers with RPC not available errors...

Interferring with internet explorer as well...

Everythings hit the wall... phones going mental...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  14. the6thday

the6thday Registered Member

Hi,

we are experiencing the same issues on our network, right after the pc's update to 5418 some of them freeze for ~30 seconds multiple times, others have issues with webbrowsing(http traffic), and some of them send false reports:
    "02.09.2010 15:54:02 - Modul Echtzeit-Dateischutz - Alarm ausgelost auf Computer xxxxxx: enthalt ."

we are using windows xp SP3(32bit) and Windows 7(32bit)

nod 32 AV BE 4.2.64

15. Colditzz

Colditzz Registered Member

Arghhh...

Have the same problem appearing, 30 + servers suffering already :mad:

16. stridert

stridert Registered Member

Also having the lockup problem. Affecting 25 PCs so far however no servers as of yet.

17. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Registered Member

Same here, I have a number of systems becoming unresponsive and forcing a cold boot to recover.

18. grdotnet

grdotnet Registered Member

Same here - 4.2.64 client that have all been pushed the 5418 update. Server 2003 R2 and Windows XP clients (with a handful of Win7 clients also).

19. rembert

rembert Registered Member

Here several servers gone down already due to 5418 (win2003). Reboot solved problem. Some workstation froze as well. Terminated the remote administrator server so updates wouldn't be spread for now so people can just continue to work. Hopefully a new update will be available soon.

20. simplicissimus

simplicissimus Registered Member

Same here, nearly all PCs (XP SP3) freeze and must be resseted.

21. jamesb

jamesb Registered Member

We have a large number of customers on Windows XP workgroups, SBS 2003 networks and 64bit SBS 2008 networks all calling up because of the same problem, not helped by the fact that a large proportion of our staff cannot access customer records because our TS server is also suffering from the issue.

Has anyone had any luck resolving this problem yes? Cold reboot does not seem to be working in most cases.

22. outsider73

outsider73 Registered Member

4.0.437.0 + 5418 (20100902) = same issues on some of the PCs.
    My Outlook froze and the scan started by itself thinking I was starting my computer...
    Worse case : lots of XP SP2 and SP3 do not have anymore internet connection.

Anyone knows how to rollback a patch and to force to redeploy the previous one ?

Thanks for sharing any thoughts.

23. mastj25

mastj25 Registered Member

Marcos, can't Eset just repackage up and earlier sig file that didn't have this issue and release it as the next version? We have many servers and clients experiencing issues.

24. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

Hi everyone - I just wanted to let everyone know that ESET most certainly must have taken notice. I just flipped on my machine just now, and I'm seeing that definitions 5416 are the most current according to my ESET. So the 5418 definitions have most likely been suspended and ESET are hard at work.

25. orton

orton Registered Member

No error message here, but when 5418 downloaded my machine totally locked up. Had to do a hard reboot, all seems normal now. XP SP3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.