AV Definition update caused error

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ThomasAdams, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wingman23

wingman23 Registered Member

Same here, im not getting any error messages at all, the thing just updates the virus database, i get a pop up telling me so, then the PC just locks up and i have to reset using the on off switch at the back of the PC. im on XP and 4.2.58.3 version...

What being done about it, i lost a page essay of deep thought last time :eek: , and today a long forum post. If this carries on im going to have to uninstall the thing while it gets sorted :rolleyes:

2. dwood

dwood Registered Member

I've stopped the ESET RA HTTP Server service tp stop the update rolling out until a fix is released.

3. ChaseMe

ChaseMe Registered Member

People saying 'same problem'. Is this after a reboot? Does a reboot fix the issue once updated to 5419?

4. tabingz

tabingz Registered Member

Are you running the admin console. If so turn off the update mirror in tools, server options, updates.

5. jtplawton

jtplawton Registered Member

A reboot does fix the issue, but a big problem when you have production severs that hang.

6. wingman23

well for me a reboot does fix it, till the next update, then it all locks up again :oops:

7. sghpedsb

sghpedsb Registered Member

We have over 150 servers running windows 2003 R2 SP2 with ESET nod32 version 3.0.695.0 with (5419). I've updated and restarted and it is still not working correctly.. I'm going to try to disable the nod32 system using the ERAS for the time being.. Oh yeah. Everyone is mad..

8. stridert

stridert Registered Member

Once the machine updates to 5419, it freezes again. Reboot the PC, user logs back in, opens internet explorer and freezes again.

9. jtplawton

If your using Eset Admin Console stop the services, you could also
    just remove the username and password from the eset update tab.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's related to a problem with update 5417 described here. Just update to the latest version 4519, restart the computer and everything should work fine.

11. olavski

olavski Registered Member

Our clients are downloading the updates directly from the internet. Thanks though

12. thom68

thom68 Registered Member

5419 does not fix the issue in fact it completely freezes XP machines.

13. olavski

olavski Registered Member

5419 is giving the same, if not more, problems.

14. jtplawton

Same here, but I have the internal mirror first, as I have stop the services it will use the internet update server from eset, not good.

You could edit the policy you push to your client to remove the update server, if you using them

15. outsider73

outsider73 Registered Member

5419 froze my computer. Impossible to start the Services Manager to restart Eset Nod32 service. Cold Reboot. Seems to be ok right now. :doubt:

16. ChaseMe

Is there a way to just stop the ekrn service in Windows? If the clients are hung up they are not taking Tasks from the management server.

17. wingman23

If you mean virus signature 5419, im already on that one, and PC still crashes. o_O

18. jhurrell

jhurrell Registered Member

Windows XP, NOD 3.0.695.0

5418 caused a Windows error (something about a proxy service) which resulted in the inability to browse anything on the internet. Rebooted, all OK.

5419 just came through, resulted in another Windows error, but did not cause any adverse affects

19. jtplawton

If you can get into services.msc

just stop the Eset Service this is the service that runs ekrn.exe

20. ChaseMe

Yes this I knew, but ACCESS DENIED, I'm local admin....

21. wingman23

well ive gone into the advance tree mode, andset updates to never update, so lets hope that stops the crashes, i did have it to ask to install updates , but it seems to ignore that command, unless this part of the update is something else

22. jmcvay

jmcvay Registered Member

That is inaccurate information.

The ESET Service inside services.msc should not have any options to Start, Stop, or Restart the service.

23. ChaseMe

It does not, effectively ESET has deployed a perfect malware...good job guys. Must be a hell of a QC dept over there.

24. AJStevens

AJStevens Registered Member

No.

Nope, there won't be any options to start, stop or restart.

Yes, this is by design.

Correct.

Wouldn't be very good AV if it could be stopped so easily, malware could just push it over then.

5419 is causing headaches... but hopefully after it's applied and the PC rebooted (or rather killed and start up again) things should be back to normal, I hope.

25. Banger696

Banger696 Registered Member

I found that 5419 took ages to complete the update and in the meantime everything froze up, ESET Gui completely froze as well. Jury is out on 5419 updates so far on my seats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.