AV Definition update caused error

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ThomasAdams, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdnadm

mdnadm Registered Member

thanks it took a couple of times on some of them to straighten them out

2. chvss

chvss Registered Member

We all understand that things go wrong. There's a huge difference between an application having a problem and an antivirus update shutting down (in my case) Citrix, OWA, AD, SQL and web services for your network, along with causing dozens of user PCs to grind to a halt.

See, antivirus software is supposed to prevent system wide problems, not cause them. That's why people are upset.

3. jmcvay

jmcvay Registered Member

The positivity in your post history makes my heart warm. You've been complaining about ESET for 2 months solid.

4. nologique

nologique Registered Member

Hi all

We got hit hard... but now things are comming back to normal.

How can one prevent somethings like this to happen?

It doesn't happen often, but in our case we have 300 servers (mostly 2003) and 3000 (mostly xp) users so when we got hit, we got hit hard, thanks to the eset management console we were able to push the new definition in less 30-45 minutes and we were up.

I think Eset should be able to send an alert of some sort, to advice their business clientele before....

Any thoughts...

Thanks

Nologique

5. ChaseMe

ChaseMe Registered Member

So your literally saying you have nothing to do right now but lookup a users history? In which case you are not affected, and thus become the definition of a troll.

On another note, as bad as this is the McAfee one was WAY worse. Suppose I'm going to be holding defs back from the prod servers going forward as well.

6. jmcvay

jmcvay Registered Member

Ouch! That's a lot of machines. Glad to hear you straightened it out so quickly. I was able to clear up our issues with the management console as well, but I didn't have near the machines you had to contend with.

I'm not sure how the alert system would work out. They update several times a day. They did implement an RSS feed, but I haven't looked into it.

Someone mentioned, rollbacks, which I think would be a great idea, but I'm not sure what side effects that could entail.

7. 3one5

3one5 Registered Member

Hey, I'm just glad it's not my Exchange Server this time! :D

8. jprudente

jprudente Registered Member

30 servers and 1200 PCs here...I'm slowly getting things running again. Thankfully our financial system and Exchange have survived unscathed.

What I'm more concerned about though is a couple of Win2K servers I have that are simply not coming back up after the update and reboot. They never reach the login screen. Anyone else seeing this?

Also, out of curiosity, what is the McAfee issue mentioned? This (ESET) issue is the worst I've seen, and it's at least the second from them in the past year or so.

Thanks,
    James

9. wlr3

wlr3 Registered Member

Yeah, I'm seeing this as well. Not resolved as of yet.

EDIT: I was able to RDP in, remove nod32 and restart. Seemed to fix the issue. I'm reluctant to reinstall though ;)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  10. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

11. chvss

chvss Registered Member

ESET test updates before they release them.

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

FYI...Here's info about the faulty Mcafee update:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=270833

13. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

Does updating to 5419 really solve this issue? Several people earlier in the thread indicate that machines are freezing/hanging at intervals even after installing 5419 and rebooting. If that's the case, then the offered solution doesn't seem to be valid.

14. ramsus

ramsus Registered Member

Seems to fix it for me. It has been about an hour and no problems reported.

Two Windows Server 2003 Machines - 30 XP SP3 machines

15. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

Just got done updating and rebooting all computers with 5419 def. No problems to report now.

We don't run A/V on our servers, so we didn't have issues there.

And for those who are wondering what "McAfee issue" we are talking about, do a simple Google search for 5958. :) They had it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY worse than what we had.

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

@Carbonyl

I did a brutal shutdown and afterwards the 5419 update came down, and then I restarted (normal way) and since then everything is back to normal for me anyway:)

Just wondering Carbonyl, does this issue affect your Mac running OS X as well?

17. mookie

mookie Registered Member

Got 30 servers and roughly 200 "on the network at the time" computers.
    Had 7 pc's with issues (only xp) and 2 servers hung.
    Basically only because we forced the update.
    The servers/workstations that we did not touch updated by themselves from 5417 to 5418 and to 5419 without issues.

I am going to reboot the servers later on at night to be sure no issue will come up tomorrow but so far I am still happy that we use nod32.
    Nod32 is faster then the other ones I used before, it's cheaper and sh*t happens from time to time anyway.

18. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

Clearly not today. ESET need to be saying stuff like this.

19. 3one5

3one5 Registered Member

Did someone say that they were alerted to the problem via an RSS feed? I found the following feeds and none of them mention it.

http://www.eset.com/rss

I would feel a lot better about the problem if I was notified about it. That way I would be scrambling to find an answer while 1000 angry people start calling. People are a lot nicer when I can blame it on someone else. :D

20. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

If the provided resolution does not fix the issue we recommend for the customer to please contact their local support for assistance. If anyone needs contact information for their local support please respond here or send me a personal message.

Thank you,
    Richard

21. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Clearly you're quite new to the game.
    "Brought up a server that had a problem"...yup, we build and deploy lots of servers, and yes sometimes you get a lemon. But the point you and Eset QC are clearly missing, is you TEST IT before deploying it and putting it into production where people depend on it.
    Same thing with deploying an application.

Again..it boils down to track record. Be with a product long enough, and that track record will speak for itself. Around last year for the big FP with MS Word Docs? Yeah....I was doing remote restores from tape backups for over a week all of the US with that one.

22. jprudente

jprudente Registered Member

Just realized my VCenter server is still running 5918 and I apparently have no VMWare licenses as a result. Which is just wonderful since I can't reboot the VM containing VCenter because of the lack of licenses.

James

23. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

Thanks much for the info, Rmuffler. I'll keep that in mind as I bite my lip and update my Windows 7 machine.

SweX: Oddly enough, the machine I have running the OS X beta hasn't had a single problem this morning. It updated to 5419 before I really had a chance to stop it, and leapfrogged over 5417 and 5418 though. Regardless, I haven't noticed any issues so far.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Wasnt this also the issue when version 4 was released to begin with.

25. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Yes - for quite a long time we fought v4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.