avast! updated to 5.0.507

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iravgupta, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Got a program update notification and avast! upgraded to build 5.0.507 from 5.0.462. Changelogs?

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58539.0

3. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Thanks.I think it has slowed down my connection a bit :eek: , the web pages are kind of freezing but not so sure yet .Why is every upgrade so scaryo_Obut the best there is,for free:D i think its more of a sandboxie and opera 10.51 problem. The boot up after a few times is ok.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  4. gery

gery Registered Member

my computer is freezing after this update. Probably switch to something else for a while:( :(

5. entropism

entropism Registered Member

I had to swap after their Easter update. My net speed dropped from 30mbps to about 5mbps (at most), constant disconnections from my router, etc. I didn't experience it with .507, but things seem to be running quicker using MSE instead of Avast.

That being said, I'm not 100% comfortable with MSE, looking for Avast to get fixed or something else to take its place.

6. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Every thing is working fine now after updates.I was also using MSE:doubt: for a while but i went back. MSE was not bad but i wasn't comfortable. I have been using avast for ever, never had any reason to change :cool: .

7. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

As is the case with 99.9% of end users, including myself. I now have all of the shields enabled and notice no slowdown at all. It's running just as light as Avira Personal 9 did for me. I remember v.4 causing slowdown, not this one.

I'm extremely satisfied.

8. entropism

As I said, I tried the .507 update, and it just seemed a bit bogged down, especially using Skype. It's not like I'm using an out of date computer, or a slow connection at all. 30mbps, yet Skype tells me I'll barely have audio connection, let alone video.

9. iravgupta

.507 installed and is running very fine on my Dad's system (and mine too). Took a risk (as he lives very far away from me) when upgrading his version but it all is well. This is another 'runs well on mine, dunno whats the problem with you' post. Completely ignorable.
    @entropism, I hear you, having some issues with skype myself lately. Will diagnose if its a result of any conflict with avast! over the weekend. But there is one issue I can pretty much say with certainty is caused by avast!. When I click the avast! icon in my Windows 7 Professional 32-bit start menu, there is a very noticeable lag in skype actually launching, which goes without saying, does not occur when avast! isn't there.
    The question here is, even if there is a glitch between avast! and skype, is there any worthy, free alternative? Cloud apps as main defense don't interest me, and I have unignorable issues with Antivir and MSE(on 32-bit). If this issue persists, I may just have to get a KIS license.

10. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Switching AVs b/c of Skype launch lag? Eh... kinda overkill? Why don't you exclude Skype from IM shield, report this and wait for a fix?

11. iravgupta

1. Never said it was the 'launch lag' that was bothering me, I was referring to what entropism said about flaky audio signals, and that too if I am able to diagnose it to avast!. I have been putting up with the launch lag since avast! 5 released just because its the finest free AV solution, for me.
    2. I do not even have the IM shield installed. As far as reporting goes, I am not sure that unless I have measurable data to base my reports on, there is any point raising a finger.

12. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Looking at the "Immunization" thing in his signature... wondering what that means. If it's the obnoxious MBAM IP blocker, then no wonder he's having problems. Otherwise, could be pretty much anything, see this thread for debugging hints.

13. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

well it still doesn't un-install properly.............i had to use removal tool to remove it...........

14. entropism

Umm, I don't have a signature? I was using MBAM, and since have stopped, but Skype is still unusable for me. And yes, Skype is a MAJOR priority for me, as my girlfriend is studying overseas for 6 months and this is the only way we can talk to each other.

When this problem started, I was using MBAM, SAS and Avast in realtime. I've since turned MBAM to on demand only, which still didn't help much. Avast still gave me connection problems, so now I'm using MSE and it works fine. Simple fact is, I don't care how inefficient your web scanner is, if you take a consistent 30-35mbps downstream and 5-10mbps upstream, and degrade it so badly that Skype thinks you're on dialup? There are issues that need resolving.

15. iravgupta

You are yet to realize the true power of the uninstall utility. Just make some configuration changes in avast! like setting the third automatic action in file shield to ask etc. Now run the uninstall utility. Reboot. Reinstall avast!. Reboot. You will find the setting change preserved. What did you learn? Its smart enough to preserve your preferences. They are backed up in the cloud and are applied again after the first update. Now thats what I call magical. Eat that iPad.
    And don't even try to question why does it back up the settings, why does it not just go-away completely from your system. You see avast! has a very magical product, and they know sooner or later you are coming back to it. They just want to be ready for that moment, knowing your choices inside out like an old friend.
    This uninstall utility is not like some old school Antivir registry cleaner that will forever severe ties between your successive installs of Antivir by making the program actually forget you. Hell, I always knew German engineering was over rated.

16. progress

progress Guest

It's a great day for RejZoR :D

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I prefer programs in english but certainly a good thing for other users from my country.

18. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

haven't seen more absurd reply then this........

19. Get

Get Registered Member

When it's backed-up in the cloud then it's not on your sytem I guess, so what's the problem? Let's do it err never mind.

20. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

In the real time shields settings, it has the option for Scan for PUP's in each shiled i.e File/Mail/web/P2P/IM Shield/ do I set Scan for PUP's in all these/ or just file Shield? as executing a downloaded file seems to take forever with PUP's enabled in All o_O

21. iravgupta

@Legendkiller and @Get, guys I am disappointed. You actually thought that uninstall utility thing was serious? Come on, it was just to make light of the situation. I guess reading 728 strips of xkcd non-stop will have its side effects. Loosen up a bit people.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  22. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Can I ask why your not using Avast on the 64 bit machine as I'm considering a 64 bit system?

23. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I haven't seen reznor around in a while. I love that polymorphic Sheep!!

24. iravgupta

I love MSE. But on 32-bit systems I have found its performance to be below par.
    On 64-bit systems it runs fine though. Lately, after ditching Antivir Personal, after dedicated usage of about 3+ years, I am liking avast! more and more. Detection wise yes it may be a tad below Avira, Kaspersky etc. but its impact on system performance, and overall usability are just too good.

25. Get

Get Registered Member

@ravi16aug: Ok, now it's clear to me. Now I know it's not serieus it's a different post alltogether :) .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.