Prevx RC 3.0.4.191

Discussion in 'Prevx Betas' started by Baldrick, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Re: Prevx RC 3.0.4.183

3.0.4.191 installed here...and running well...but did not install automatically. Had to check for an update manually and say yes to download/install.

SafeOnline Browser Security option has had a major update...at least the GUI has...and I like it...although it looks a different to the olders elements of Prevx...so am presuming that it is showcasing a more widespread change in the GUI?

:D

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

any screenshots of the new Safeweb GUI?

3. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Yeah looks great:

Attached Files:

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello all,
    We've now released the first update for Prevx RC1 - the details are the same as the older download:

32bit: http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?grab=edgebeta (ignore the "edgebeta" part of the URL - this download is RC1 )
    64bit: http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?grab=edgebeta64 (the web security functionality is not 64bit compatible yet but there are significant improvements "under-the-hood" of Prevx for 64bit still)

We had Immunity Inc. review the technical proficiency of the secured browsing provided by Prevx in this document: http://pxnow.prevx.com/zeroL/SecureBrowserWhitePaper.pdf

You "can" upgrade your existing installation to this build but it will automatically disable the new browser security features so it may be best to uninstall and the install this build fresh to get a better feel for the functionality right out-of-the-box.

Current known issues/incompatibilities are:
    - Incompatibility with Comodo
    - Incompatibility with Sandboxie
    - Incomplete Safari support
    - Partial incompatibility with KeePass/KeeForm
    - Incompatibility with BS Player PRO
    - Conceptual incompatibility with screen readers
    - Possible remaining issue with Opera v10 on XP
    - Incompatibility with Keyboard Express and ShortKeys from Insight Software Solutions

This build fixes a number of issues and now the "Stop Protection" (or Stop Monitoring) button from the Prevx tray icon will allow you to suspend browser protect at any point so if you need to take screenshots, this should be a much easier way to take them of secured data.

You'll see a new configuration screen now, as well as streamlined protection behind the scenes which should make the user experience much more friendly.

Let me know if you find any issues and thank you again for the extensive testing! :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  5. PrevxHelp

Yes :) SafeOnline is using a new GUI design which we may end up including in Prevx 4.0. The bulk of the GUI will remain the same for the duration of Prevx 3.0 just for continuity purposes and to reduce any user confusion but we are planning some major improvements for 4.0 a bit further down the road :)

6. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Problem when installing to non-default folder is confirmed fixed in this latest build. However, the UAC elevation prompt is displayed the first time you clicking on Options during install, rather than when the installation is about to take place.

Also, problem with web browser being brought to front after manual scan appears to be fixed. I will keep an eye on this though.

Will Web security make it into the 64-bit version soon ?

7. sded

sded Registered Member

Installed 3.0.4.191 and so far no issues, still detects badpx5.rar. Using with Opera 10 under Vista Ultimate SP2, will see how it goes. Turned on SafeOnline browser security.

8. firzen771

ill give this update a try

9. Baldrick

Hi Joe

Just been trying out the scenario where the when specific site protection is removed Prevx does not check to see if there is a generic rule, ie, http://* in the list for it to use/refer to. As detailed in the following post:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1536693&postcount=89

and as far as I can see it is still happening. Is this supposed to be fixed in the 191 release or is it still in the oven baking? Or could it be that unless I uninstall the 183 build and fresh install the 191 build the fix does not come into play.

Not sure what I am doing wrong here. o_O

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  10. dlimanov

dlimanov Registered Member

Joe,
    I've been away for a little while and missed all the news. Congratulations, looks like a lot of good new stuff is making it way into v3.0.
    Have few questions:
    - Any word on the Enterprise version and when it's coming along?
    - Do you intend to use other vendors' engines for the in-cloud scanning (similar to Hitman Pro's)?
    - Is there a post or a document describing any major changes for v3.0, namely in detection techniques?
    Thanks and again, congratulations!

11. PrevxHelp

Yes, this is a bit of an annoyance. Part of this is to ensure that we will have write access into the folder once we do try and install but I agree that it would be worth streamlining this down further :)

Great :)

We're waiting until we finish all of the rest of the functionality but it will be coming into the 64bit version as well - 32bit is the current priority, however.

12. PrevxHelp

Could you try removing all of the current rules (or just uninstalling/reinstalling to 191)? That should reset the rules and present you with a new dialog which will let you configure it easier/more accurately.

If not, let me know and I'll see what went wrong :)

13. Baldrick

Hi Joe

I think that the Security Configuration slider option is really first class but I do think that it would be extremely useful to have an option on the slider called 'Custom' that if set opens up all the fields an allows the user to set their own combination of options as checked/ticked.

Alternatively, you could have the option (as an Advanced button) to open up the setting what ever the slider is set to and modifiy the slider selected settings by ticking/unticking the releavnt individual options...at at that point the slider is moved to the 'Custom' setting.

Or have a combination of both the above.

What do you think? Complicating things too much? :D

14. PrevxHelp

The next Enterprise version should be out in the next few weeks - we won't be supporting the secure browser out-of-the-box in Enterprise just yet but will be soon.

No, all of our detection is in-house and have no intentions of leveraging other vendor's scanning (Hitman Pro uses our engine as one of their scanners).

A whitepaper describing the new web protection via tests done by Immunity Ltd can be viewed here: http://pxnow.prevx.com/zeroL/SecureBrowserWhitePaper.pdf

15. PrevxHelp

We've moved to the slider bar from the individual settings because the settings all go hand-in-hand with each other (i.e. it isn't possible to have solid browser addon isolation without browser memory protection). We've placed the options in such a sequence so that reducing protection by one level only disables the protection which is dependent on the higher levels.

I agree that the old screen was much more "advanced configuration friendly" but this new screen should reduce potential incompatibilities and dramatically reduce user confusion/insecurity if they untick the wrong combination of boxes.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts/questions on this :)

16. Baldrick

Hi Joe

Removed all the default rules...so that the option showed as effectively switched off on the main GUI. Closed down the browser and then restarted it. Clicked the Add button in the option which added in the HTTPS & HTTPre-alted rules automatically and then clsoed the option. The Tab on Wilders was still BLUE. Added a site specific protection as before and Tab went GREEN. Removed the site specific protection agains as before and the Tab went back to BLUE.

What am I doing wrong here. o_O

17. firzen771

Yet again ive lost all internet connection

18. dlimanov

Joe,
    Is there a mailing list to subscribe to get notified when PrevxE is released?
    Documentation says v3.5 in it, download says 3.0.4.xxx, what's the correct current version?
    Lastly, does the app still invoke BSOD as a method to unload modules for cleaning, when it's unable to do so safely?
    Thanks!

19. dlimanov

P.S. Sorry if this has been asked, but is Opera supported for secure browsing plug-in? Currently, Opera 10 build 1750 seems to load the Prevx tab but 90% of the time pages do not load altogether or take a very long time.

20. firzen771

well after several reboots it seems my internet works now :doubt: strange...

21. PrevxHelp

Opera should be supported properly but we've had a few complaints about compatibility. We'll look into this closer but in the meantime, could you save a scan log (by clicking Tools > Save Scan Results) and send it to report@prevxresearch.com? This could expedite our diagnosis if we find anything obvious in there.

Thanks!

22. PrevxHelp

Hmm... :doubt: Had you blocked a website at all or did this happen directly after installing the new version?

23. PrevxHelp

We downgraded our version number back to 3.0.4.xxx from 3.5 to save user confusion with the 3.0 branding. The official released version will be 3.0.5.x, not 3.5.0.x.

In rare cases, yes, a BSOD may be required to clean the system but this is primarily just to clean the MBR rootkit which exists below the OS level so we need to perform some harsh measures to remove it properly.

24. PrevxHelp

I *think* the behavior you're describing is correct. By default, the HTTP protection results in a blue tab - if you click the "Configuration for all HTTP websites", you can move the slider bar to increase the protection generically (no need to add an http://* rule anymore).

Adding the rule and then removing it should bring it back to blue as you experienced, but let me know if you're expecting something different :)

25. Baldrick

I can go with that. Seems logical and well thought out! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.