MRG Rogue Software Test

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LoneWolf, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It seems odd that Online Armor++ missed one sample considering it uses the a-squared/ikarus engines that on their own detected them all.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

A note: personally I do regard tests performed by any "group" that has a conflict of interest not to be taken serious.

As for the MRG, it is known one of their members is member from the Comodo-MRG as well, uploading a massive numbers of samples from MRG to Comodo, before MRG testing. In my opinion, this is a conflict of interests, since Comodo software is tested by MRG as well.

For that reason, I would suggest not to rely on tests like these, but focus on real independent testing organizations like for example av-comparatives.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

This test is rubbish, yes some of the samples ARE rogue, but most of these other samples I've sent to nearly all vendors and 90% of them would email me back that they wouldn't add it to the list, because it simply wasn't malware.

Just look at what Avira "missed".

Why in the world should AV vendors need to bloat up their DB with such rubbish?

5. Astech

Astech Registered Member

Humm, which member is that?

If that was the case one would expect Comodo to perform better, am I right?

6. icr

icr Registered Member

Yeah i can't believe Avira missed so many although it has by far the 2nd highest detection rates(according to MRG)

7. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I totally agree with this statement :thumb:

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

+ 1.
    I didn't know about that conflict of interest.

9. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Neither did I.

10. Paul Wilders

The person in question uses the nick name languy.

That's beside the point here. I'm merely stating the conflict of interest and therefore the reason why only to rely on indepedent testing organizations. MRG does not qualify as such.

11. Sveta MRG

Sveta MRG Registered Member

Malware Research Group is a completely independent organization with no ties to vendors and that includes COMODO group.
    I would advise you to show some evidence of what you just said as your comment is causing damage to our reputation.
    The member you are referring to is not a member of Malware Research Group, he is a member of COMODO!
    From my point of view you mixed some things up, or somebody is feeding you dubious information, ether way you are wrong.
    If you do not show any proof which can back up your statement and don't retract from it, we will be forced to take this to another level.

Regards,

Sveta MRG

12. ssj100

ssj100 Guest

I'm actually quite surprised that Comodo and Online Armor even missed one sample. I would have thought the classical HIPS components of each product would block everything, even in default configuration.

Sveta_MRG care to comment?

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Kudos to Prevx. Another one in the bank for these good people.:thumb:

14. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Well, my first intention was to stay far away from threads regarding unreliable "test organisations", because they are not worth my valuable time.

But factual you "invite" me to react and I of course I accept an invitation of Paul Wilders. :thumb:

Lately the web is overfill with all kind of nonsense "test/review groups", same for individuals, pretending to be real, knowledgable experts. These fake groups and experts confuse the community, and even worse, damage interests of users as well serious vendors.

MRG is just one of these fake/unreliable groups. I can only advice people to stay far away from them, same is valid for all that is offered by them.

<S>

15. Chris_MRG

Chris_MRG Suspended Member

Just to let members know, Paul Wilders has been contacted via email, see below:

Re: Your accusation in this thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=251113

Dear Paul,

Malware Research Group, referenced above, is an independent organisation and as such has no affiliation to any organisations or software vendors, including COMODO or its agents.

The statement you have made here is untrue and implicitly damages MRGs reputation and as such is libellous.

The member “languy “ you are refer to is not a member of Malware Research Group, instead, he is a member of COMODO.

I am sure you have just been given false information and that you did not intend to make the defamatory and libellous statement in the above thread, however, it has been made and therefore we require a full and immediate retraction or we will commence legal action against you within the next 24 hours and have your host suspend the Wilders forum.

Please note, deleting the post will not be sufficient; we require a full retraction to counter any damages caused.

Regards,

Chris,

Malware Research Group
    Internet Security & Solutions

16. Paul Wilders

If you care about symantics, I'm willing to rephrase my statement:

A person using the nick name languy, having access to the MRG malware database, uploaded a massive amount of malware samples to Comodo for a long period of time.

From my point of view, this is a conflict of interest, especially in case Comodo is one the the tested softwares.

All I will do has been done: rephrasing as mentioned above. In case you feel the need to take his to another level, I do refer to our AUP/TOS.

On a side note: please refrain from using different nick names posting over here, like for example Astech earlier on this thread. One will do.

Regards,

Paul

17. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Typical the way MRG work, your forum is overhelmed with examples of such foolish actions. Now you have also the "guts" to attend the crowd on Wilders to your condemnable attitude...:isay: :thumbd:

<S>

18. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Sorry to sound stupid, but why am I always redirected to graphic.php when I try to access the site? Just a TOS without anything to input or similar... :/

19. Dr who

Dr who Registered Member

This is quite unethical having read quite a few replies by Astech in other topics...how can he claim to be independent tester if he posts at Wilders promoting a select set of softwares:shifty:

So do we call you Chris or Astech:rolleyes:

20. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

Why did you test Comodo Internet Security (with all features enabled) and not Kaspersky Internet Security (with all features enabled), instead you tested Kaspersky AV, NOD32, Norton AV...? Almost all mentioned companies have "suites", you chose to test AV only for some and "suites" for another group of participants. Why you did that? It does not have any sense ...

21. Paul Wilders

And, Chris_MRG: please pick just one user name over here as well. Either Retadpuss or the one used last.

It's getting rather annoying as well as confusing for all if you gentlemen keep signing up using different user names and posting from different accounts. A matter of trust as well. Quite unusual for members from a test organization.

Apart from that our TOS clearly states:

While participating on this forum, using multiple identities for purposes such as but not limited to bumping topics, supporting a position stated by one identity through use of another, or to mislead or misdirect in any way is prohibited.

22. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

This is all coming together nicely now, I can see by post history of those 3 accounts how the great reputation of MRG is showing. Nice scandal we've uncovered here.

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

you mean Puss, is one of them. Damn, it makes you wonder who else is sleeping in that bedroom. This really is unfair to consumers like me who have come, or at least we thought we could, to trust so called member/vendors here.

24. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Well I've just downloaded PC Doc Pro from Cnet then uploaded to VT and no engine is flagging the installer o_O

25. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Well, let's summarize facts:

Members of a "test organization" are pushing, dropping and commenting their "tests" by keeping signing up using different user names and posting from different accounts belonging to 1 person: e.g. Chris_MRG alias Retadpuss, Sveta MRG alias Astech and who knows what else nicks they use.

This "test organization" have severe conflict of interests: e.g. a person using the nick name languy, having access to the MRG malware database, uploaded a massive amount of malware samples to Comodo for a long period of time. Comodo, a vendor that is "tested" by MRG too.

Conclusion: these "tests" can't be taken serious at all. They are prepossessed for certain vendors, not independent, not serious, in short: unreliable and not the paper worth they are written on.

MRG - Malware Research Group: a bunch of non serious dilettantes.:thumbd:

<S>

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.