The latest lightest Anti-virus?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sweater, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Maybe, some threads were already said bout this subject...:rolleyes: but I want to know the latest comments on their latest versions. ;)

What is the lightest on our system, with less RAM consumptions and will not slow down internet surfing? :cautious: :doubt:

At present, I uses Avast and I am happy with...:D but still...I am wondering then if some are better in terms of performance, detection and has no affect on net speed. :blink: :rolleyes:

What's your personal experiences with those Anti-viruses? o_O

2. tansu

tansu Registered Member

KAV 6.0.0.300 does pretty well on my PC.
    With one page open on Opera, thunderbird and msn messenger is running...

Attached Files:

• avp.gif
      avp.gif
      File size:
      741 bytes
      Views:
  3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

NOD and Dr Web would be good choices here as they both have very light footprints. VBA32 is a bit heavier in memory usage but this also a lightweight primary scanner. IME, all 3 of these AV's on my systems have very little effect on system performance and surfing speed.

KAV 6 is also very light as tansu mentioned BUT you may find that the Web AV may slow you down while using the Net and some tweaking may be necessary.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

DrWeb is light and fast. Very fast.

5. TAP

TAP Registered Member

From my personal experience, on my machine, AVG is the lightest antivirus software ever, no other antivirus software can beat it, AVG is extremely light (fast) in real-time performance. avast!, AntiVir, CA eTrust EZ are also very light (fast in real-time performance) on my machine.

I personally don't care how much RAM used by antivirus software as long as the real-time scanning is still fast and doesn't cause unacceptable slow down.

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

F-Prot 6, coming soon....:D:D

But really, you should try the various AV products yourself and see which one suits you best. Every AV will be lighter/heavier on different computers.

7. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    How about NOD32, BitDefender, Kaspersky and Avast...? which one of them is the lightest and will not affects surfing speed? :rolleyes: o_O

8. TAP

TAP Registered Member

May be...

1. NOD32
    2. avast!
    (on my machine, NOD32 and avast! both are very close in real-time performance)
    3. Kaspersky
    4. BitDefender

This guess based on my personal experience, it may different on other machine.

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

CA EZ AV on my machine is fairly light. When my license expires in a few months I may try NOD. A light AV is a must on my older machine. ;)

10. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

/me mutters something about that a machine with XP and less than 2 GB RAM is not really fun to work with...

BTW, did you check the *virtual* memory usage of KAV2006 aswell?

11. marcromero

marcromero Guest

In my opinion, nothing compares with F-Prot Antivirus for lightness and efficiency on my system. It is simply the best antivirus software I have ever used and I look forward to version 6.

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I tried the last version of KAV, and the for me and for my system, the lightest AV is NOD32, without any doubt!!!

13. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

On my pc the lightest are:F-prot, DrWeb, AntiVir and surprise............KIS 6.0.

14. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    NOD32 from my experience..on many many different machines of all sorts of various hardware specs, feels substantially lighter than Avast or AVG. I find AVG somewhat average..but Avast quite a bit heavy, if I install Avast on computers, most people will complain on how slow it got.

CA is also quite light.

Gotta admit Kapersky's latest version lightened up quite a bit too.

15. Redbullina

Redbullina Registered Member

The latest lightest antivirus is BitDefender Beta2
    Have open Internet Explorer and Msn7.5 and it using so less resources, while internet and msn is open, Not clicking or surfing anything it showed that is using so less resources, take a look

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

NOD32 and F-prot - the lightest two.

NOD32 is much better in protection,by the way . F-prot is pretty good for known viral malware whereas NOD32 detects all kind of malware and has advanced heuristics. Both won't affect internet speed/surfing .

http://www.eset.com
    http://www.f-prot.com

:D { Try Panda or Symantec and then compare } :D
    { and I disagree with the others , KAV/KIS 6 are both so... slow and so overcrowded } ;)

17. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

In this order
    fprot
    nod32
    the lightest there are.

18. Don Pelotas

You can disagree all you want, the fact is that is actually very light on many pc's and on some pc's Nod32 is slow (for lack of a better word) and vice versa. Generally it is light.

May i ask what you mean by overcrowded?

Btw. Why does "everybody" only seem interested in memory usage, when the really important issue regarding "Lightest" is CPU usage (IMO), i mean what good would an AV that uses 2mb memory, but has 50% CPU usage.:eek:

Especially in these days with 512 or 1024mb being very common? :)

19. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Don, I agree 100% :thumb:

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No , it isn't . It is even higher on all computers and clients we have tested .
    Don, I won't argue with you especially for Kaspersky (for reasonable reasons)

NOD32 is as light as it should be on all computers and clients I have seen.

Yes ,of course , too much feautures which are unnecessary and make the program slower and "over-feautured" . I like previous Kaspersky versions , not v6

21. Durad

Durad Registered Member

DrWeb is also light but i hate when it freeze system for a second during each update..

VBA32 is light if you select that it scan only "new" files...

Its not all in memory usage... if software is coded well it may use more memory but still be light for system.

22. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I am new to this forum,correct me if i am wrong. F prot is light but there have been some compliants of slowing the web which has video streaming . Basically it is slow while scanning videos.

23. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I use kaspersky since someone in my family bought me a license, but it has insane cpu spikes. The ram usage is very low though. The only way to circumvent this problem is to make it only scan new files. However, when I install a new app, and start it, the thing runs very slow until all of it is scanned.

However in my experience, NOD32, avast!, and antivir are extraordinarily light and I feel no impact on my system. KAV, Bitdefender, and other antiviruses not so much. I still have a copy of the f-prot beta (chuckles to himself), and might try that out, or download the latest f-prot v3 trial and see how it runs.

Cheers,
    Alphalutra1

24. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If your computer is working slow, it's a virus or a anti-virus. ;)

25. Don Pelotas

That would be very consistant with you having enabled "Application integrity control" in the proactive defense which is default not enabled because for some (like you) it will give CPU spikes, it doesn't for me and it will be fixed in maintenance pack1, it actually already is in the beta i use right now (not much use to you right now oC), so try to uncheck the AIC like it was default.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.