The latest lightest Anti-virus?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sweater, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Well you can't have "tested" it too many pc's, because it's simply not generally true (yes i have used/tried it in many setups already) what you're trying to imply, not that it can't slow a particular setup, but that goes for Nod32 as well and most other AV's in general.
    Also generally untrue.............but what i do not understand is why some (like you do in this thread) try to support your choice of AV by trying to discredit other AV's, why not simply try to convey what you think is positive things about your choice instead of fanboyism, which most users can see right through anyway........just a thought and meant in a much more friendly way than you probably are going to think.:)

2. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

KAV 2006 is much lighter than NOD32 and you can choose which modules to use. I don't know why you would say it is "over-featured" when NOD32 has that horrible HTTP scanner that slows your computer to a crawl. KAV 2006 has the same thing now and it too slows a computer to a crawl ( I have a Dell XPS600 gaming computer with 2GB RAM yet either of these AV with the horrible HTTP junk enabled kill my computer). I did not install Web antivirus or the mail scanner because my ISP scans all incoming and outgoing mail plus Microsoft has always recommended that Outlook Express never be subjected to AV scanning.

I have the file antivirus and ProActive Defense running and no one can claim that makes KAV "bloated" with too many features. I never used the NOD32 mail scanner either.

Version 5 of KAV was a total disaster and caused me much pain and horrible problems in getting all the crap off my computer that it left when uninstalled. KAV 4.5 was outstanding though and KAV 6.0 is outstanding as long one just uses the "useful" (IMO) parts of it. Same goes for NOD32. If you can most of the junk in NOD 32 and just use the file scanner it is a fine AV although the scan time has drastically slowed over the years but it is still faster than other AV on a full scan of your files. I never run a full scan though as that is unnecessary.

3. pykko

pykko Registered Member

NOD32 and perhaps Dr.Web. Avira is also light

4. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Yub, you're right. As usual such problems you always have with small distributors. They all tend to be uhm how did you call it.. oh fanboyism. Of course you should stand behind your product what you sell, but you should not overdo it. Most of the AV Distributors do not even know that there is a very good relationship between most of the AV Vendors, even if they are competitiors. People do know each other and they do drink beer together from time to time. So basically bashing another AV while reselling another solution is not really a good idea. But these guys will find out very easy when they have to resell something else and nobody is really interested in them.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , I am now tired of such discussions . Everyone's has its own favourite software -mine is NOD32 . All I can say about it is that it is perfect . About Kaspersky ... you understand me in a wrong way . I appreciate their fast responce to threats , I appreciate their all pack support but I hate their slow engine no matter how deeply it scans.Their slow engine is admitted by PCWorld and many other people . Something else , I trialed KIS 6 and I can't stand three things :
    @ the slow engine (other AVs are much faster with the same files and configuration)
    @ the firewall (it is difficult to be controlled especially for home users , how can they know what ports are , other stuff)
    @ behaviour analysis (proactive detection) which displays false positivies (too much , I think ) When it was installed I wanted to listen to music and I tried to start Windows Media Player 10 and Windows Medial Player 11 beta on two machines which were flagged by invaders ,non-sense . It also showed me a well known site as a password stealer which is not possible .

And things like that which should be fixed .

And guys , let us stop it because we'll never agree with each other , right:D And how can Don agree with me when he is from KAV's forum

6. Inspector Clouseau

:D :D :D А, предполагам, че имаш предвид главната страница на NOD32 - по същество, дори не е погрешно да се каже, че можеш да загубиш пари на този сайт. :eek: :D :D

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

:D Май българският стана много популярен в този форум , това ме радва . :D А ти как проговори на бълг.ез . Пишеш , че си от Скандинавия:cool: Грешка , пише , че си в Скандинавия (Hope you understand :D )

8. Inspector Clouseau

О, благодаря за комплимента, но аз имам много добър учител; името му е Веселин Бончев. :eek: :D
    But we switch back now to english otherwise other people might complain that they do not understand this (easy to learn) bulgarian compared to the more complex russian. ;)

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Let's go on private :D ( I mean private messages)

10. Inspector Clouseau

Разбира се, че разбирам - аз вероятно говоря по-добър български от тебе. :D :p
    (Which means yes of course i do - my bulgarian is propably better than yours) :D

OK - PM's now.

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Really, I have NOD32 installed on over 1000 computers and have never seen this, not a single instance, period.

Blackspear.

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Me , too but how can it be explained to someone who now don't believe it ;)

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I wish the engine was faster. But NOD32 is much slower than when it was version 1 and really fast and didn't have all the junk it does now.

The KIS firewall I don't use. I tried that when I beta tested KIS but I didn't like it.

As for Proactive Defense flagging WMP as an "invader" ...well it is! I am so glad it stops all the MS crap from making registry changes! I LOVE Proactive Defense! ProcessGuard has had its wings clipped by nVidia's latest drivers so I am happy that I have Proactive Defense.

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

BOTH NOD32 and KAV 2006 HTTP scanners ruin my computer. My broadband speed is cut to ONE-THIRD of normal and for what? A stupid piece of junk from both venders that is irrelevant and totally unnecessary. I had a lot more respect for both companies before they came out with junk like this. It is not needed and it cripples everyone's computer unless you are back in the dark ages of dialup connection. Mail scanners are unnecessary also and I just do not understand why AV companies insist on adding more and more crap. You need a file scanner and that is it. I like Proactive Defense from KAV 2006 only because ProcessGuard has been neutered for those of us with nVidia cards, otherwise, it would be unnecessary junk also as PG is superior (as long as you don't have an nVidia card with the latest drivers). I do not understand the insane fear some users have of viruses. There is no need to stop a virus before it touchs your computer. You have both the real time and on demand scanners to protect you. You do not need the other junk. I have viruses on my computer much of the time so that I can test various AV. I am not terrified of them. I simply don't execute them ...accidently or otherwise. :D An intelligent user doesn't even need an AV. I have gone long periods without a real time scanner...just an on demand scanner is all that is really needed. All the bloat in both Kaspersky and NOD32 saddens me. But then they are all bloated...except perhaps BitDefender free version and F-Prot.

15. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I run Fprot and I have never experienced the problem you mention.

16. Don Pelotas

Well, then don't post such bashing type posts and expect users to just let it go when it is clearly not true.;)
    Real-time protection is definitely not slower than other AV's (including your choice), on-demand , yes it is slower than some, but it also (whether you like it or not) scans deeper and the difference to Nod32 is not that great anyway (with regards to time) and yes, i have tested this with both in the same setup and with all guns blazing.
    Doesn't this also apply to every other FW worth it's salt and just so you know, it can be configured only used for inbound much like XP FW, just protected by the selfdefense in Kaspersky, if easy is what the user want (it's called basic when you install btw).
    Well thats proactive behavior in action, it react's according to how it's programmed and just like with all other programm's of this kind (RegDefend/Appdefend/ProcessGuard) you add them to trusted so you don't have to click ok (deny) everytime. I as said in the first post, you don't have to the options you do not like, you can actually deselect any module you do not have a use for!

As for the:
    If you had taken the time to report this as a phishing FP, just like FP is reported eith any other FP made by any other AV, it would be corrected.
    Thats lame, yes, i'm a moderator in the forum, but if you had taken the time to read my posts, you would see that i do not belong in the "my eye's have blinds on" catagory, i'm not particularly high on Nod32, but i think it's a good AV and just so you know i'm an ex user/customer of it both version 1 & 2 and trial it regularly, just as i do with other AV's.

And unlike some i'm not a reseller...........................................:D :p :eek: ;) :D

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

100% agreement :thumb:

I think I am intelligent enough to pass by viruses since I haven't been infected for a long period. But I keep NOD32 always on because I am human and humans can make mistakes :D

To DON : If I was KAV user I would definitely prefer to use KAV5.0.388 :D

18. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Your computer seems to be in a complete league of its own; being that it simply is not seen on thousands/millions of computers around the world.

WOW, that is a very bold statement to make, never seen it myself on over 1000 computers, that would have the odds at the very least 1000 to 1.

Another erroneous and wild statement, care to back this up with a least a minute amount of tangible evidence.

Try telling that to a network administrator, the laughing would almost kill them.

Well I know Michael the Inspector would strongly disagree, so who are we to believe :blink: :blink: :blink:

Blackspear

19. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I'll put my money on the Inspector :thumb:

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Nor I am ... I do realize all the advantages and disadvatages that NOD32 has + Kaspersky . I still remember times when only KAV was able to clean some infections , still remember when only NOD32 detected and quarantined another infection . Still can say there is no 100% perfect product , you know this very well . And I stop here , don't want to argue no more about these things . Nice day , Don;)

21. Don Pelotas

You too.:)

22. Inspector Clouseau

Yes i do. Of course i do. Stopping viruses before they can target your system is always the best way. There's absolutely no doubt about it. That you do not need a mail scanner MIGHT apply for some users, especially if you use a provider who scans this already for you. (But then again: The provider scans it - so it's not completely without ANY scan)

This is especially important for companies, which are running their own network and emailing systems. Otherwise you would get tons of Mytob, Mydoom and Lovgate Worms. This i can already gurantee to you even without knowing the infrastructure of this company. If you have a few email addresses like John@Whatever or Jason@Whatever or Mike@Whatever you ALWAYS will get this, because most of the worms including such names (the first names) in their send to data and just constructing out of an existing domain name the email address. So the chance that you might get a Mytob Worm these days is VERY VERY HIGH. If your provider scans and stripes it already then you probably don't even notice this. But as i said already before not every user has a provider this email scanning. Next thing is (and this is actually a very important fact!) that you have a lot of more time available for checking attachments from a local desktop. That said: You can inspect all incoming files on a local system (as long as it's not a gateway) VERY CLOSE even if it takes longer, because nobody cares if you get your email within 1 min and 20 sec or 1 min and 38 sec. The chance that you might find something "strange" or "suspicious" is by FAR much higher than for the gateways which are trimmed on speed checks! Antivirus business is easy - you just have to understand how it works!

23. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Prevention is always better than cure :D

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

On my computer KAV6 with everything running is much lighter than NOD32 was when I tried it.
    I never noticed either slowing anything, and the same for Avast.

All three of those are lighter than Bit Defender 9.0, and scanning speeds are much faster.

Jerry

25. Redbullina

Redbullina Registered Member

That is true that these 3 are lighter then Bit defender 9.
    But what do you other/you say about bit defender 10 - beta2 that is using only 7 to 8 mb resources and even with my firefox and msn in background!
    when idle it using 7 to 8 highest. This beta2 is very light

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.