The latest lightest Anti-virus?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sweater, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

All,
    I like the thought of replacing my expiring CA EZ with NOD, but I believe anything above $30 for just AV is to much. :rolleyes: I know some will say got to do it to get good protection...get what you pay for...bull#%*.:p

At this point I am looking hard at F-Prot. Dr. Web talks about their migrating discount but try to find a price without filling in a form. I like companies who are up front with their pricing. I am sure someone will post back with a link or pricing . So I'll say thanks in advance. Belgamin says it is light.

Got a few more months. So I'll keep looking. :doubt:

I think there is to much risk involved in Mele20 set up I am human and can make a mistake even if I do think before I click. I do need some security help.

2. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Uhm F-Prot is actually quite nice, i use it myself from time to time :D

3. .....

..... Registered Member

I hope F-Prot 6 comes out soon... that "leaked" BETA made me hungry :D

4. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I've been an F-Prot user on and off since 1999, I like it, it has served me well over the years. I too, look forward to version 6. It's a pure av without all the bloat, hope they keep it that way. Of course, incremental updating, file quarantine and enhanced real time monitoring features would be a welcomed improvement in the new version. The small glimpse I got of version 6 looked promising. Keep it lite and keep it simple Frisk. I eagerly await your new product.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

You only have to provide Dr Web with some evidence of your present AV, simply fill in 4 boxes, and you can obtain a migration discount which makes the price a very reasonable $18 for 1 year or $33 for a two-year license.
    Will be interesting if Frisk keep their policy of 1 license for 5 Home computers with the new release!

6. mercurie

Blackcat,
    Saw that screen. Thanks for the pricing. Very, very reasonable. $18 one year most reasonable. Wonder how light it is on RAM and CPU useage, disk space not an issue.

As for 1 license 5 computers on F-Prot, I only have one computer where resource useage is an issue, but your point is well taken, also a good deal. New release or not. ;)

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

On most systems SpiderGuard ( the Dr Web RTM) is very light and takes up practically no CPU usage. BUT you will have to test it on your system first. Worth at least trying, as with some other AV's, as your present license for EZ runs down.

Further, Dr Web's HTTP scanner should be out of beta soon ;)

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

? ? ? From time to time ? ? ?

9. waters

waters Registered Member

Nod,authentium,and antivir have been the lightest for me.Authentium let some trojans in,so although i can get it free,i use antivir.

10. carioca

carioca Registered Member

How is It possible to become F-prot 6.0 If they are promissing for years to reach F-Prot 4.0? My license will expire at the end of june, 2006 but If It won't update to get more modern and competive scanner, I wil give it up. Because It doesn't scan compressed files, no password and It doenst quarentine the infected files, the only option is to delete them. I may recognise its lightness but it is not just this the most important! The most important is to become effective in cure and light in resources! Both together gets a good antivirus. Perhaps I will shift to KAV 6.0 at all.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Take a small glimpse into the future...

12. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I am no expert by any means, but just thought I would add my 2 cents to this. After reading this thread, I have come to the conclussion that HTTP scanning is something I want in a AV for that extra bit of protection.

That being said, I have only used two AVs with HTTP scanning, KAV 6 and NOD32. With NOD32 I didn't notice any slow down in my connection speed, whether browsing or testing at speed testing sites. With KAV 6, and HTTP scanning enabled, browsing speed was affected slightly. At speed test sites is where the difference was noticable. I have cable internet service with download speed of 6000kbps. When I ran a test with KAV 6 with HTTP scanning enabled, my speeds dropped to about 2200kbps. Not too good. With HTTP scanning disabled, speeds were back to normal. I didn't have these discrepancies with NOD32.

As much as I like KAV 6, I'm not going to use it because of the way HTTP scanning affects my computer. And like I said, I now believe HTTP scanning is important. JMO. Before I go back to NOD32 though, I think I might give Avast a try. I want to see how it performs on my computer.

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

in addition to avast, u can try both GDATA AVK (maybe?) and F-Secure which also have HTTP scanning.

14. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Thanks WSFuser.

15. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Oh i guess there will be no doubt that this will change (or better has changed already) :D

16. TAP

TAP Registered Member

I've used avast! with its Web Shield (HTTP scanner) for a quite long time since its first release and I've never found any internet/web speed slow down or any other increasing real-time performance impact or any problems at all. When Web Shield stops something via HTTP traffic, I just simply press "Abort connection" button (or using so-called "avast! silent mode" to automatically disconnect from malicious packets without any pop-up warning) and then the malicious contents are gone without any dazed warning pop-up dialogue.

Attached Files:

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

LOL I don't disagree at all with what you said. I said that I thought AV was needed for beginners and average users and that would include HTTP scanners if the AV that comes on their computers has that. They wouldn't know if their broadband connection was cut in half or less because of the webscanner because most of them have never tested their speed and don't know how. I was replying to Stefan who made a blanket statement. I realize I am not at all average when it comes to computer security and I wasn't trying to compare myself to the majority of computer users. I was addressing my comments to Stefan and to the members here none of whom fall in the category of being newbies or average users. In the case of recommending security measures to the vast majority of users it is a "do as I say not do as I do" thing. :D

But gee....there really are folks who don't kiss, stroke and pamper their machines? I thought everyone slept with them! :D :rolleyes:

18. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I was overwhelmed by lots of infos you've provided me guys...:thumb:

I am now trying out NOD32, and I think most of you are right...:D it's really light and my pc becomes more responsive than before. :eek: and surfing is more faster than before...

After trial ends, I will then try out another antivirus maybe..F-Prot and other "lighter than feathers" anti-viruses mentioned here. :D :-*

Attached Files:

19. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Abacre AV is the lightest of them all, but it also fails to detect -- according to the experts -- anything!

Dave

20. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

LMAO, I WANT that one :gack: :blink: :D

21. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I've noticed that you are running an outdated version of the NOD32 engine 1.1458. Even though NOD32's heuristics protects you against a majority of new threats without update, I strongly recommend that you update it to the latest version 1.1567 (it will upgrade also advanced heuristics so that you will be protected against emerging threats even better).

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you want a light antivirus program you have to try Fprot. see screen shot

Attached Files:

23. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Actually from what I've been told Poopscan and Diddlyscan are the fastest scanners on the planet :blink: ;) :D

:D :D :D

Further details on Poopscan can be found in posts 31 onwards here

24. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

:D Thanks for the laugh and trip down memory lane. I MISS Rod.

25. mercurie

Sweater,
    Good to hear that NOD is performing so well. Hope you do try F-Prot and post back. ;)

BigC that really is light. Thanks for the info. Looks like it is on a compaq running Zone Alarm too. ;)

I know I should likely try them myself...I know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.