Question about BoClean

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by woobook, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woobook

woobook Registered Member

In BoClean online support website I find there should be three icons appeared on Windows system traybar after Boclean installed, but I only have the left one. Is it right?

Attached Files:

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Yes, you will get only the left one if BOClean was the only Privacy Software Corp. product installed.

Blue

3. woobook

I have another security software is Panda titanium 2006. Panda combining with boclean is very fine in my pc.
    I also drag Panda's apvxdwin, avengine, avlite, avtask, pavsrv51 and tpsrv in boclean's programe excluder, I think above programes usually use more memory and boclean shall scan them. It must uses more resource. Maybe it is unnecessary, I don't know.

4. john2g

john2g Registered Member

Almost certainly it is unnecessary. Only programs that BOClean detects as malware, (that aren't malware) should be added to the excluder.

5. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Those non grey coloured icons are an example of some of their other available products that could also be installed, eg IEClean.

IEClean mentions the yellow icon on here. NO ICON ON THE TRAYBAR http://www.nsclean.com/supiec.html

The different icon colours in BOClean are listed in here > BOClean in normal operation http://www.nsclean.com/supboc.html

StevieO

6. woobook

Maybe it is unnecessary. But I think Panda's programes shall use much memory resource when it runs. It must cause Boclean's attention to scan them, and this behavior shall casue additional resource. So I drag them into excluder.

7. woobook

Thanks StevieO,
    Now I understand the other icons are not Boclean. They are other products of the company.

8. skbaltimore

skbaltimore Registered Member

After reading through Sysinternal's blog about the Sony protected CD/rootkit horror story, I came across the post that mentioned BoClean. It caught my interest, so I went to their site. Then I read a review of BoClean that said BoClean could be easily disabled, contrary to BoClean's claim. And the review was also critical of the fact that BoClean does not incorporate file scanning, only memory scanning.

http://www.anti-trojan-software-reviews.com/review-boclean.htm

Any thoughts from the folks here who have so much security expertise? (I know whatever gets posted here will be objective, with no commercial interest in the product. Thx)

9. ftwynne59

ftwynne59 Registered Member

Hi skbaltimore

I would not attach much credence to the review as it is written by an Inkjet Salesman..:rolleyes: ..and would therefore question his 'security expertise'.

10. skbaltimore

Well, while that might or might not address the part of the question as far as that particular review is concerned, it still leaves open the question of what people here feel about the product.

11. john2g

john2g Registered Member

12. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Termination protection is only necessary if malware is undetected by your anti-malware scanners. At that point, they have failed and are likely to be of little further use so protection is less important for them than it would be for other software like your firewall (which could alert you to any new program attempting Internet access, which almost all current malware requires).

However many anti-virus scanners do now include termination protection (in some cases this can cause problems since it stops you from shutting these programs down). Nevertheless, the most effective counter would be process control software - Process Guard is currently the best developed and has a forum here if you need more information.

As for BOClean "lacking" a file scanner (it does actually have one but it is not intended for normal use - do a search to find more details), this has been discussed dozens of times - there is no point when you have an AV that does all the file scanning. If malware slips past it then it is likely to it being packed or encrypted in which case a memory scanner is more likely to detect it (when it unpacks/decrypts).

13. Gigabyte

Gigabyte Registered Member

Woobook,
    I have Panda IS 2006 and use Boclean. Everything works fine until Boclean finds something and then Pandas Trueprevent will stop Boclean from clening the infection. I have trueprevent disabled and have notified Panda numerous times about this and still havent gotten a response as to what the solution may be. You can go her www.grc.com and click on shield up and do a leak test and you will see what i mean.

14. woobook

15. woobook

I rebooted pc, downloaded and tested leaktest again. this time BOClean caught it, meanwhile a error pop-up, showed "BOClean has encountered a problem and needs to close."
    I closed boclean and launched it. I did a second test, then boclean was silent again.

16. Gigabyte

Gigabyte Registered Member

Yeah,that error is caused by Panda. I get a pop up that Panda has stopped a program from starting and then I have to close Boclean and restart it and everything is ok. Maybe Panda will fix this.

17. R. Morris

R. Morris Registered Member

This "test" was questionable several years ago.. putting it mildly.
    The link and it's associated "partners" are involved in a spam operation that has recently graduated to comment spam that plays with Google rankings.

18. skbaltimore

Wow. that sux. Thanks for clearing it up. I appreciate that.

19. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Baltimore: BoClean is used by many many users worldwide. It is one of the best pieces of security software you can buy, and is maintained by a company that is top-notch as far as service goes.

I have seen BC kill things that bypassed my AV without a peep. It works.

The article you reference is not worth the space it takes up in the internet ether.

20. skbaltimore

Cool. And that's exactly why I came here after I read it -- because I knew I'd get the real-world answers here. But that review did impact me, I don't deny that. Nevertheless, I still came here with an open mind, and appreciate all the input.

21. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Good for you. That's what you should do. ;)

I have used Boclean for years. I have used several different firewalls and several different AVs over the years. But one security product has remainded constant. BoClean. It is my last line of protection against keylogging, trojan horse types and other such malware. I would not do any business on the internet without a dedicated program such as BoClean.

BoClean is stable, light and I have never had a conflict. Service from the company is top rated. I have never had such good service from a security product.

I highly recommend it. :thumb:

22. skbaltimore

And even though it runs in the background, you find it's not a resource hog? That was one of the questions I had, especially since it would seem to have to cycle pretty constantly to be effective.

23. mercurie

No it is not a resource hog. Yes, it cycles constantly. But only upon start up of the program does it seem to tie up some resources. This would be when it is running blue in the icon tray. After that it lays back. ;)

I have had some lock ups (years ago) when I was using ME OS and Norton AV with Zone Alarm when using 128 RAM. Kevin assisted me in tweaking the program to work on my machine. He worked with me until we got it right.

Later I added extra RAM and of course the whole system worked better. Then I upgraded to XP and things got even better in the performance department. The hardware remained the same except for the extra RAM. ;)

24. skbaltimore

Thanks. Cause I have XP Pro and 2GB of Corsair ram, so I really wouldn't think it'd be a problem -- I mean, it's not like Adobe Photoshop, where you could just see the hole and all the memory draining out. LOL. But I still like to keep away from anything that'll really put a kabash on the resources. (It still amazes me that I now have 4 x's as much RAM as I had hard disk space on my first computer -- DX2-66 with 500MB HDD and 16MB ram. Wow. What a powerhouse it was. Heheheheh)

25. mercurie

Understood. Good luck in what ever you decide to do. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.