Ad Muncher

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I just installed Ad Muncher on Windows 8.1 and I've found nothing what ever is blocked, All the ads that used to be there, on the home page and any other site are still showing, how do I configure this thing?

2. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Due to the Security changes Microsoft made to IE11 Ad Muncher isn't able to filter it currently.

We are making the necessary changes for Ad Muncher v5.x

Any other browser will work just fine with Ad Muncher on Windows 8.1

3. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I hate Admuncher so much I love it.

This is the thing..

It's outdated, it's interface is garbage. It doesn't filter HTTPS. Now it doesn't support Windows 8.1 properly, totally ignoring IE11. Version 5 has been promised for 4+ years, and when I bought it 2 years ago I was told version 5 was less than 6 months away..

BUT it's the best adblocker on the planet, bar none if you can ignore the above. But what blocks ads in IE11? Nothing really.. Adblock is very very buggy, and at times, non-functional in IE11, largely due to those security changes Jeff mentions.

OMG I bought 3 more licenses last month. It's like that girl you keep sleeping with, that you really want to stop sleeping with, but she's just so good. She isn't good for anything else, and that drives you nuts.

So here I sit with 10 lifetime licenses to Adguard that makes my Quad Core machines feel like old 486 boxes, crashes windows, slows boots, and only works properly on some pages. Adguard is that hot chick you met at a bar, you get her home, and find out she is really a guy. Not workable at all.

That's admuncher for you.. Hate the hell out of most of it, most of the time, but it's the best out there still.. o_O I keep threatening to leave Admuncher for good. Murray needs to STOP whatever the hell he is doing, lock himself in a basement, and finish version 5. This is like Duke Nukem Forever here, my god. Version 5 cannot suck, if I wanted that I would run Adguard, but we cannot wait another 3 years for v5!!!

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Guess I'll have to wait for that version then...whenever that maybe

5. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Or don't use IE11.. Personally I found IE11 to be pretty lousy, but that's just me. I was in a pretty big hurry to install something different after messing with it.

6. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I needed a good chuckle and you sir have provided that for me

The above quote made my day, hahaha

7. avatar

Hi! My name is Andrew and I am Adguard's tech leader.

This is not common, could be a compatibility issue.

I'd like to help you fix it. The fastest way is to give me a remote control through teamviewer. You'll be in control watching everything I do. Please let me know if you ok with it.

Maybe she had some issues with one of other chicks living at your place?

8. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Why don't you just install Adblock plus in IE11 until Admuncher gets 5.xx update.

9. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Once you go Admuncher, you never go Adblock.

As for Adguard, I will like to resolve the issues no question. Problem is, over 5 machines the issues were consistent, and that's 5 different platforms. But I am still open to suggestions.

I tend to not like firewall type applications, and I believe Adguard really functions like a Firewall in it's filtering so it can snag HTTPS? Neverless, with 10 licenses, I'd really love to resolve this so I can deploy it to those 10 machines, and another few dozen I maintain.

10. avatar

Different Windows versions too? As I've said, the fastest way is remote access. I can take a look at all machines, bet they have something in common.

We use network driver for traffic filtering. So yes, it is firewall-type.

11. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Common links;

Malwarebytes/Chicalogic on all machines. Windows 7 on all machines (32 and 64 Bit). Otherwise, everything else would be fairly different. I just installed 8.1 on a development machine here, and will test Adguard again. But again, it will have MBAM/CHICA on it. I may try it on a 100% clean machine.

Problem is, I found it slowed boot by up to 100% or more. Anyway, we need to take this to the adguard thread if possible. I'd love to be able to use my licenses, and license more - if we can find the common denominator in the issues.

12. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Opera 18 not compatible with Adguard?

I installed Adguard again, loading Drudgereport.com with all adguard settings at default, I cannot click any links.

Loading IE11 it appears to work great in this respect.. ??

13. avatar

Don't see an Adguard thread here yet:(

One thing (just guessing, but it could help).

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 has a known issue with NGEN windows services.

Here is a good discussion:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ows-down/4476f6ab-3355-4ed6-bec2-bfe18dd408b0

You could use the solution from the link above or you could install the latest .NET Framework version:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653

14. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

15. avatar

16. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

easy said than done for example Firefox, some say it's faster , others disagree, Me personally I have an issue with comments about that, It may be true but the one thing you cant ignore is that Firefox needs Flash to be installed in some instances whereas IE 11 does not. ( at least on Windows 8.1 it does)

17. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Firefox is bloated, and slow IMO.. FasterFox makes it useable, but it still needs a lot of tweaks to feel good to me.

I roll with Opera.. Out of the box it's fast, and slick. Tweaked? It's amazing.

18. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

A lot of stuff I depend on, such as AdMuncher, LastPass etc won't work in IE11. There's little reason to use it.

19. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Do you have a time frame for the release of version 5.x ?? Is it in beta yet?

20. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Soon ™ You must not follow AM too much. V5 has been "coming" for so long now that the question has been asked and left mostly unanswered numerous times. We're talking years here. I'm sorry if that sounds rude to the devs, but eventually it either has to show up or no one is going to believe it'll ever come. To be fair, it's two guys working on the thing, but still.

21. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

When we are finished with it you'll realize why it took so long. :)

Good things come to those who wait.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  22. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

This is what I am banking on - with my cash.

I don't want another Adguard Fiasco. Nothing I do makes that run the way I need it to run, and it doesn't even block popups. Nevertheless, I have about $300.00 invested in Murray Hurps, he better not let me down. If v5 comes through, I can guarantee another $3000-$4000 in enterprise licensing.

23. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

There's a million conspiracy theories about v5.x and they are all just plain silly.

This is our full time job, it pays all the bills.

We want v5.x finished and released more than you guys. ;p

24. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Jeffrey, your mistake probably was mentioning v5 ages ago. In hindsight you should've kept quiet until the product was available for all to see. That way, it would've been a surprise and users be none the wiser about its development in the background while updates for v4 continued. It certainly would've prevented all the "conspiracy theories". ;)

So when you decide to work on v6, don't tell us till it's done.

25. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

indeed.

that's why I don't give a release date anymore.

All I know is we work on 5.x and support 4.x, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.

There's nothing left to give. :)

Luckily I love my work so it doesn't seem like work to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.