Ad Muncher

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

The old opera or current chromium version?

2. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Sounds good. :thumb:
    No sneak peek ? (Well you can't say I didn't try. lol)

3. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

4. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

5. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

he was working on the video, don't think he meant it was coming tonight...

just soon

6. sukhen

sukhen Registered Member

Ad Muncher failing on Chrome also

Problems are with Chrome also (Win 8.1). The (Social Media) widgets are no more blocked. Is there any setting available?

7. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I'm sorry to say this Jeff, but Admuncher is becoming a disgrace. I've supported this product for years, and recommended it to a pretty substantial number of people. But I cannot in good conscience, continue to recommend it. I've seen more patches this week for Adguard beta, than we have seen in 3 years with Admuncher. Adguard has reached the point where it is an entirely positive replacement to Admuncher, sorry to say..

Think about it, the problems with Admuncher are pretty obvious;

1) No HTTPS scanning. Giving the prevalence of spying, and the desire for more privacy, most people are moving to HTTPS (HTTPS Everywhere, etc). Nevermind the fact Admuncher now offers no blocking for Facebook, and other applications..Not having this level of scanning in an adblocker is unacceptable.
    2) No IE11+ support whatsoever.
    3) Growing issues under 8.1, loss of some blocking functionality.
    4) Lack of features, such as malware checks, parental controls, safe search, and other potentially useful additions. Most adblockers now include malware databases, at least as an option.
    5) No active self-blocking mechanisms. Adguard you can actively create your own list - by clicking elements in realtime. Admuncher requires reporting - and - your opinion. I've submitted many links, to which you won't block, or claim they aren't popular enough to add.. With no way to 'easily' add elements, this is a pretty big weakness.

You give great support, and the lists are updated extremely well. However I do not believe that is enough to offset the major downsides. We've been told V5 is 'just around the corner' for possibly 3+ years now. Murray has been working on other projects, and we can almost assume he's lost passion for Admuncher, or he'd of finished it.

it's been well over a month since he promised a 'new video' showing features of v5. https://twitter.com/Murray/status/423192619057836032

I keep seeing Murray pop up working on other projects, constantly updating them, but never.. EVER anything to do with Admuncher other than more promises not being realized. http://murrayhurps.com

This is Duke Nukem Forever. By the time that game came out, competitors were so far surpassing it, it was irrelevant. Adguard (and other upcoming products) are working on some amazing things - and implementing them. They have an Android/iOS blocker in development. The program is progressing, it's developed. I think Admuncher has lost the battle, and it's time to move on. Sorry to say. With respect.

8. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

In regards to #4, malware specifically, Ad Muncher has many malware blocking abilities. mostly generic, that have been there for years.

Just because we don't draw your attention to the details doesn't mean they aren't there.

#5 is not true...

that's what the "My Filters" tab is for...

I use it to create the default list...

There aren't any updates to Ad Muncher because there is a brand new code base that isn't out yet...

there are no small updates to release for v4.x

all changes needed are big updates and that's what v5.x is for

It's a very simple concept. ;)

Once v5.x is out there will be as many updates as needed to fix bugs etc...

As for having lost the battle, I don't know what that refers to...

We aren't going anywhere.

9. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

In regards to Malware, I assume some are prevented by blocking some scripts, generically, but I don't believe that is to the level of generic blocking, and a database of roughly 4 million such as Adguard.

Also, I don't believe people as a rule use the user-filter option of Admuncher because there isn't really any easy way, or user friendly way to add elements. Adguard pulls up an extensive in-browser system to allow you to simply add/remove elements by dragging over them.

Murray seems to have a lot of passion for non-Admuncher projects. I think after all of these years, and given the fact that Admuncher is barely functional right now.. With over 3 years of promises we still don't have an alpha, beta, or even a screenshot of v5. We deserve better. I cannot recommend Admuncher any longer as a result. All good things come to an end i guess.

Attached Files:

10. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

lol, you sure have a penchant for the dramatic. ;p

Ad Muncher is very good at preventing malware from infecting your system from compromised sites.

(I like your barely functional comment, that's really funny, I laughed out loud.)

Ad Muncher is 10x more powerful than ad guard which is why there isn't an equivalent for adding custom filters. It just isn't possible with the way Ad Muncher works at the raw HTML and HTTP level.

It's just not finished yet, when it is released all "promises" will be fulfilled.

Good things come to those who wait.

Nothings ended, this is our full time job, it pays all the bills and our passion for all things ad blocking continues unabated.

You're judging Murray on a tiny slice of his public life.

By all means use and recommend whichever product you like but withhold the judgment based on such little information.

11. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Not really. I just don't like pandering.

Any evidence of this? Tests? Logs of blocked malware? I can see logs of blocked Malware in MBAM, Adguard, Avira, even Adblock. But where can I see them in Admuncher, or any tests done by anyone?

When AM doesn't filter HTTPS, hence work on any HTTPS site. When it doesn't work with any IE version past 10. When it doesn't work on a recent Chrome update. I consider that barely functional. Don't you?

Can you substantiate this claim? What evidence of it? How does this 'power' equate to better blocking to the end user? If the end result to the consumer is - all ads are blocked, the page loads faster, then how does '10x' enter into the equation for the 'average' user? Is this 10x figure also taking into account problem areas such as IE10+, Win8X, HTTPS? If so that's a remarkable claim!

No alpha. No beta. No screenshots. No videos. No development journals. No bug tracker. After 3-4+ years of saying it is 'coming soon'? If you had something to show, even something small - you'd show it. So the logical conclusion is - you don't have anything, and it's not being developed actively. I've developed software, this is not an actively developed project.

Aside from the passions of "Intercourse" or whatever he calls it now, and that air swiping application, and Fishburner projects...

I'm not judging anyone. I am pointing out his public profile, which is full of non-admuncher things, with a zero-profile of all things admuncher. Including a THREE YEAR absence from the Admuncher forums. His last post on YOUR forum was in January of 2011.

Such little information from Admuncher? That's precisely how I hold accordance with this. I think you guys really need to stop taking money for Admuncher at this point. It's lost so much functionality it wouldn't really pass any real testing at this point, and it continues to lose functionality as the months progress. I'm sorry if all of this makes you feel angry, but everything I am posting is researched fact, and all I hear are promises. To continue to take money from an undeveloped product is bad business. To continue to promise something, 3-4 years after it was due, is misleading business.

I'll tell you what. Refund my 6 lifetime licenses to Admuncher and I will go away and never bother you again. Because I purchased those licenses under the promise of v5 coming 'soon' (your words). It's a product I can no longer use (HTTPS, IE11X, Etc), I will admit I feel cheated. What better way to show your strong commitment than that?

12. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Why don't you just use ADP and use Chrome with Switchboard? You'll be far happier than trading back and forth arguments with the developer of vaporware. Few people believe this 5.0 thing will ever happen, and even fewer at this point care. I see where Jeff is coming from in his claims of malware blocking, as a lot do come from loaded ads and 3rd party scripts. Don't get so hung up on claims of "10x power" and junk either. The guy is marketing his product, marketers do that. I call complete BS on them paying all their bills, unless they somehow are hiding hundreds of thousands of paid users who aren't saying anything, anywhere about the product but simply using it. That or they live somewhere like Oymyakon and don't have a hell of a lot to pay for.

Either way, if you can get your refund and move on, cool. If you can't, move on anyway. The burden is on them to put up or shut up.

13. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

these are the most important issues (at least for me). in our days, buying an adblocker that doesn't support IE11 and doesn't filter HTTPS, is plain stupid. on 2 of my 3 computers i moved away from AM, and guess what: it's perfectly all right using the free adblockers out there. i'm 99% convinced there won't be a v5 of AM. maybe 3 years ago the intention of releasing v5 was genuine, but today it has become just advertising. sadly.

14. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Given how everyone has moved to HTTPS, I agree - it makes it tough. I need to explain to my wife why she sees no ads on Drudgereport, but is blasted with ads on Facebook? Sorry, that's not cutting it. Virtually everyone I see is using HTTPS-Everywhere these days.

Now the question for me is - what to do with my 6 licenses? Even my relatives/friends don't want AM due to no IE or HTTPS coverage. I've done some research on a chargeback because my CC company has a 'fitness' guarantee for all purchases, but I need to find the transactions. It would be much easier to simply have Jeff honor a refund so I can move on, obviously the promissory of the product on my purchase wasn't valid. Heck, I will accept a refund on 3 of the licenses, and move on. I want to recover at least a percentage of this misleading transaction.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  15. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

Our refund policy is clearly laid out on our site.

16. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

30 days, while you keep telling people 'just around the corner' for v5. That's really ethical. You should implement a moratorium on sales (of your product that hasn't been updated in 2 years) until v5. That's the honest thing to do, and would show you are 100% moving forward with it.

Thankfully, my credit card company chargeback policy supercedes your refund policy. You should know that by now - including those unpleasant extra hits with chargeback fees.

17. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

While feedback and heated debate is always welcome, threats are not.

18. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

sorry Jeffrey I need to agree with doctorpc and I think you are been immoral.

I think admuncher is a good product and was excellent years ago but now its becoming dated.

This is mainly because you are failing to implement new features, apparently every new feature requested requires a full code rewrite so as such will be in 5.x of course 5.x is a phantom version which has no screenshots, no videos, no release dates etc.

I can only conclude that you are telling people its still in development simply so you can carry on getting an income from new sales.

No gzip support.
    No https
    Modern browsers limited or no support.

As others have stated you have been promising the next version for years not months.

19. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

From your site:
    Is it really so difficult to edit this advertisement on your home page to make it accurate instead of misleading?

20. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

You do realize there's a trial that answers questions better than any site possibly could?

We still have people who think it works on Macs...

21. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

So wait, you are blaming 'people' for fraudulent, misleading, and at vague web pages and marketing? Nowhere on your front page do you specific it doesn't work under Mac - by the way.

You claim a bug/feature lock on the current version because v5.0 will 'fix it all', but is that claim still a reason to take peoples cash on a product that - with each passing month/year, loses functionality? So right now; MacOS, Gzip, Https, Regex, Google Instant, Internet Explorer are all not supported.

Consider this;

by Jeff » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:57 am
    Gzip is being worked on and will be included most likely in v4.8

by Jeff » Fri May 20, 2011 9:51 am
    It can't be fixed by us until we finish adding gzip support.

Frankly, and I hate to say this. But you are immoral for continuing to sell a 'semi' functional product at this point, and making claims that aren't true. Also, given the outright false advertising on your page, I'm quite sure you are legally obligated to offer a refund. So how about it? The false advertising aspect alone would guarantee a 'fitness' refund from my credit card company, but why not simply do it as a gesture of honesty, and good business?

Murray has been absent from your forums since 2011. Most likely because he is ashamed at this point, and he should be. He continues to take money from a semi-functional, no longer developed (not including filter lists) product. It might actually be illegal, given the false claims, and truth in advertising laws.

22. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

immoral for selling a software product?

well you've just jumped the shark.

23. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

For selling one under false pretenses, with misleading advertising, that is largely abandonware. Look, you do this for a living, we get it, you want to protect your livelihood. But the facts are facts. Why not offer refunds for Wilders folks that find the product largely not as advertised, and generally unusable? Wilders folks generally use HTTPS, and thus, wouldn't really benefit from your product. How about simply saying "Wilders guys that want refunds, contact me", and let's move on? In business I always find it is better to refund, or assuage an angry customer than to keep them around, it never works out. Version 5 won't be out this year, as it wasn't in the previous 5-6+, therefore why not fix the issue with folks that feel cheated? Maybe Murray can check in on his forum (after a 3 year absence), or perhaps check in here, and show development logs, or internal patch notes, or a shot of a GUI with a strong commitment to a firm development cycle? He's pretty open, and talkative about his other projects -we've noticed. It's really time to put up.

moral (immoral is failure to adhere to moral principles, which are;)
    mor·al [mawr-uhl, mor-] Show IPA
    adjective
    of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical: moral attitudes.
    expressing or conveying truths or counsel as to right conduct, as a speaker or a literary work.
    founded on the fundamental principles of right conduct
    capable of conforming to the rules of right conduct: a moral being.
    conforming to the rules of right conduct

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  24. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

do you not understand what a trial version is?

anyone can install it and see if it does what they need it to.

no one is forced to buy anything.

If we didn't have a trial and didn't have a 30 day refund period, THEN you'd have a case.

We are working as fast as possible with the resources we have.

it's that simple.

Anything else is FUD.

25. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

The site stopped being updated about the same time the program was last updated. Hurps probably has the keys to both. You are left to fend off questions and problems while he is away doing other things. Plus you update the ad blocking list. Whether the program ever sees version 5.0 is probably a moot point to most people at this juncture because the damage to the reputation has already been done...and continues to be done with every question/answer post. The logical answer is that you are making up excuses and answers as you go hoping Hurps gets back to developing the program at some point. That's what I'm going with. It makes a lot more sense than the bullarkey you keep posting.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.