Ashampoo Antivirus 2014 (emsisoft + bitdefender)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by marciocruz, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

2. anon

anon Registered Member

=
    -----------------------------------
    A similar offer here =
    Review and giveaway by Techtiplib: http://www.techtiplib.com/2013/09/freebies-ashampoo-anti-virus-2014-review-and-giveaway/

3. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Softpedia Review

The Good

It is extremely simple and fits the needs of the average and beginner user perfectly. Signature updates are downloaded and installed several times a day.

The Bad

We have experienced various glitches, from errors generated by the user interface to occasional failure to detect threats when scanning from the context menu. Double-clicking on the system tray icon does nothing.

There is no scheduling function for scanning.

The Truth

Ashampoo Anti-Virus 2014 has impressed with its detection rate thanks to the two Emsisoft-Bitdefender scan engine duo, but at the moment, it lacks the flexibility and additional protection layers present in competing products.

http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Ashampoo-Anti-Virus-2014-Review-386246.shtml

4. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

"Signature updates are downloaded and installed several times a day."
    AAV_update.exe can be set in Task Scheduler. Every 30 minutes works just fine. There are updates nearly every 2-3 runs.

As of this posting, the A2 engine version is 3.00.583 and BDcore is 11.0.1.6. EEK is at 3.00.589 and the same for BD.

No conflicts noted as of yet with Online Armor 7 beta Free, MBAM Pro and Zemana AntiLogger Pro; none are expected.

FWIW: Downloaded and saved to a directory 12 files from the front page of malc0de. Left-click detections of folder...
    HMP 9
    MBAM 7
    EEK 9
    AAV 9

No perceivable slowdowns experienced on a E8400/G35 system running XP SP3.

I had good experiences with their previous Anti-Malware v1.2.1 on a three XP machines for a few years a while back having taken advantage of a couple of giveaways and some (really) deep discounts.

Right now I don't see the need to replace avast! Free on my two Win7 systems even at less than their $24.99 pricing. But that may change depending on how avast! 2014 strikes me especially if Ashampoo giveaways or (really) deep discounting rolls by.

5. anon

anon Registered Member

Ashampoo AntiVirus 2014 Free 6 Months license:
    -http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/registration/php/trial_step1.php?session_langid=2&edition_id=jk9r0f36ajwdsvwm8ffjmspcbq3cqkj3&ref=linktarget

6. siketa

siketa Registered Member

6 months?
    Why does it say "Request your personal full version key to permanently and fully activate the software." ?
    o_O

7. marciocruz

marciocruz Registered Member

because you can use the program forever, but you only get 6 month of updated definitions :)

8. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Thanks, marcio!
    Is there a way to manually update definitions after that?

9. marciocruz

marciocruz Registered Member

No,ashampoo don't provide manual updates

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Manual update with subscription only. just purchased it for a year. Got an offer from Ashampoo to name my own price and they accepted $10.00. Pretty decent deal. It is working great so far.

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Been running Ashampoo antivirus 2014 for a couple of days and it does seem to work well. It will alert to any activity on the computer by apps. and programs or downloads.

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Does it come with surf protection, Mamutu, etc.?

13. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

It without a doubt contains surf protection. Unlike many programs where a URL block notice will appear within the browser itself, AAV instead will alert via an AV popup with Allow and Block choices.

When downloading a malware file that AAV detects it is dealt with in a novel way. Immediately one will get a popup with a Block and (amazingly enough) an Allow choice. If Blocked however one will keep getting a Block alert- in order to actually delete the file there is a "other Options" dropdown where Block and Delete can be chosen.

As to a Behavior Blocker, it does exist but I haven't run sufficient samples against it as of yet to determine its value.

14. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Emsisoft is Bitdefender + inhouse So Ashampoo is Bitdefender + Bitdefender + Emsisoft inhouse ?!

15. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

HitmanPro also uses the same combo, plus Kaspersky. I guess the overlapped component is neglected, i.e. Ashampoo = Bitdefender + Emsisoft inhouse.

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Or Ashampoo = Emisoft.

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

18. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Good timing, Vic. Just ran the program against some newer nastier stuff and wasn't impressed by the results. The worst was a FUD banker/keylogger that happily created datafiles awaiting transmission with every keystroke.

19. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

No they are not. They don't spam people. When you give Ashampoo your email address you give then permission to email you. But, you can opt out of these emails if you want. The emails don't bother me since it very rare for me to check my email these days. Quite possibly I still receive a lot of emails from Ashampoo, but I really haven't taken any notice.

You can opt out of receiving their emails.

20. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Ashampoo's spam policy is abysmal. Their servers do not always "remember" that you have opted out of receiving spam. I have to go back to my account at least once a month to reset my no spam settings. It always comes anyway. Also, whenever you update or try out any other Ashampoo product your settings revert back to receiving daily, sometimes multiple daily spam emails. Once you set up an account your email address is hosed. So use an address you do not mind the Ashampoo spam because it's coming whether you want it or not.

21. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I did not know that. Personally I'm quite happy to still be receiving their emails, which I presume I am.

22. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! Victek123...I wholeheartedly agree with Neil R's...review of the Ashampoo A/V. Having said that I'm usually very cautious in taking P.C.Mag's advice...due to the fact that a certain bias is slanted towards well known vendors. And acr1965...is accurate in his critique of Ashampoo's Blitzkrieg Spam Marketing practices. As I mentioned in a previous thread Ashampoo is first and foremost a Marketing retailer...riding on the successes of legitimate vendors research and development. Sincerely...Securon

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

There's a section in the settings of all the Ashampoo apps called Service Channel where email can be configured. I'm guessing that all of those options are enabled by default when you first install one of their apps. You have to know about it and choose to opt out afterward. Yes, their marketing is very aggressive, but some of their software is quite good and can be had for a very low price if you wait for a special offer. I understand that not everyone is willing to put up with it.

Regarding Ashampoo's antivirus I'm leery of using re-branded security products because I feel they're one step removed from the actual developer, eg Bitdefender, whomever. When I have questions or problems I think there's a better chance of a solution when going directly to the developer. Just IMHO of course :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  24. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Hi hammer, meet nail.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  25. waters

waters Registered Member

tried it ,then dumped it.Slowed browser down too much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.