PC Tools Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by noway, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Registered Member

Stem,replace local port range into the rule, for the closed ports issue,can you please explain more because i dont understand,thanks

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Waters,

You mean my post
    Just edit that rule, as example, if you are only using a browser then edit the rule as remote ports 80/443.
    (from what I see, the firewall gets confused as to what is inbound/outbound,... the rule gives possible inbound, and shows as closed due to nothing listening)

3. JCorliss

JCorliss Registered Member

Run as service

I notice that this firewall is not listed among services installed on my computer. I assume that's a bad thing? Does this mean that I'm not protected when I'm at the logon screen, for instance?

4. waters

waters Registered Member

PCTFW.EXE 2,888 K

5. JCorliss

Sorry. I was referring to services only. I'm aware of the single process.

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Re: Run as service

At logon screen the firewall is not active, So you are not protected during this time.

7. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

Version 2.0.0.9 came out. One of the changes is the firewall strts now as a service.
    See here:
    New PCT FW

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Thanks for the update.

Regards,
    Stem

9. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I had to go back to COMODO because the new PC Tools Firewall Plus v.2.0.0.9 jamned my surfing. I'm waiting the next release untill I'm trying again.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

10. waters

waters Registered Member

With the new version anyone know how to set rules for utorrent.With last one i allowed the port but dont know with this version

11. waters

waters Registered Member

pctools

In the advanced rules ethernet type is ticked ipv4 or ipv6.What does this mean.
    Can these always be selected when making rules for bittorrent and online games.The new update seems ethernet type ,must be selected before other selections can be made.

12. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Just couldn't resist anymore and reinstalled PC Tools Firewall Plus 2.0.0.9 without those custom rules I've got from PC Tools Forum to the former 1.0.0.10 version and everything goes just fine so far. :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

13. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I just saw the announcement on Neowin about the 2.0.0.9 release which is Vista compatible. I am going to try it out when I get home this evening. :)

14. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

The same rules as with previous version work.

15. JCorliss

Anyone else get a false positive (I hope) from NOD32 when trying to install this?

16. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Re: pctools

IPv6

At this time, you should be ok to just use ethernet type IP (with >winXP).

Vista does need rules for IPv6, as this OS is already sending/using these types of packets.

I only installed for a short time, but you should be able to make the rule the same,.. just select ethernet type IP.
    I will be installing again later, so will re-check.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

One of the temp files of the installer. I will be installing again, so will post it on to Eset (and double check with online scan).

18. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

ARGH!!

Has anyone made a successful rule for Ximeta's LPX protocol with this FWo_O

19. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Help will be appreciated. I don't know what rule or setting to configure to allow the servers to download in Call Of Duty.

20. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Cannot get rid of PC Tools Firewall Plus from Windows Security Center. It has been uninstalled and I cleared it from the registry.

21. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I didn't have this with PC Tools FW, but I do with my AVG Firewall whenever I uninstall it to try a different Firewall. I just turn off Windows Management Instrumentation in Services and then go to Windows System 32 folder click it open and then click open the wbem folder and delete the Repository folder that's in there. After that I start the WMI again and reboot. This always takes care of any Firewall remaining in my Security Center. ( Comodo actually did this recently) You can find the exact procedure by googling it, but I'm sure an expert in here will help you. I would wait to make sure they agree with doing this however, in case it can harm anything by doing it. I haven't had any problems so far myself from doing it, and have done it at least six or seven times already.

22. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Modified from a post I made a few days ago.....

To get rid of PC Tools Firewall in Security Center you can do this...

1. Click on "Start"
    2. Click on "Run"
    3. Type in: services.msc <click "OK">
    4. Locate: "Windows Management Instrumentation", right click on it and select "Stop"
    5. Go to the "wbem" folder (C:\Windows\system32\wbem)
    6. Locate the "Repository" folder and delete it (DELETE ONLY THE REPOSITORY FOLDER!!)
    7. Repeat steps 1 - 4 but this time right click on "Windows Management Instrumentation" and select "Start". This will recreate the "Repository" folder.
    8. Reboot your computer

I had to do this to get rid of Comodo after giving it a try awhile back.

NOTE: I have been told this DOES NOT work with Vista

23. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

OK. I finally figured out how to get this thing stealthed. I tried Stem's idea of adding a remote range, but ports still showed up closed rather than stealthed. That is actually fine, as closed is just as secure. However, this 'stealth' thing became a challenge to me and I was determined to find a way to stealth it. The idea is simple: Allow TCP/UPD only for the ports you need for your apps. In other words, I created rules for each port I use (wish you could do that in one rule like Kerio 2.1.5): HTTP (Port 80), HTTPS (Port 443), FTP (Ports 20-21), SMTP (Port 25), POP3 (Port 110), NNTP (Port 119) - that's it. Each rule is configured the same way. For example, here is my HTTP rule:

where the ethernet is IP
    and where the protocol is TCP or UPD
    and where the remote port is 80
    and where the local IP is equal to my address
    and where the local port is in the range of 1024-5000
    Allow
    and stop processing more rules.

I created the exact same rule for the other ports. For other programs that may use different ports, you could just create a rule allowing it for the necessary port(s).

Then right after those rules I placed the "TCP/UPD: Block Any Other Packet" rule. I also have all of my ICMP and DNS rules before my TCP/UDP rules. Kind of a long-winded way of having to do things, but it works. I think it also adds a little bit to my security since no TCP/UPD traffic is allowed out of those specific ports.

Also, I just wanted to add that I use NOD32 2.7, and have had no conflicts with the firewall whatsoever. I really didn't like this firewall at first, but it has grown on me since I've come to understand the rules a little better.

24. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

Did you try passive FTP?
    Download using a browser from http://download.drweb.com/bases/ . I think it will not work.

25. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I tried to download one of the zip files, and couldn't get it to download even after allowing the port range it was trying to access. So, I guess if you need passive FTP my trick won't work. I haven't needed passive FTP for any of my programs so hadn't tried it before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.