PC Tools Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by noway, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi waters, (Just finishing the posts now)
    Utorrent uses the same port for both TCP and UDP, so you only need to add one rule.
    Select "Filtering Rules" -> "Add"

Attached Files:

• add.JPG
      add.JPG
      File size:
      64.8 KB
      Views:
  2. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

stem thank for all you help, got it working now :)

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

In the rules windows,
    Step 1: select "where the protocol is" and "Where the local port is"
    Step 2: change the "Undefined": for protocol to TCP or UDP, and enter for "local port" the port used for Utorrent.

Attached Files:

• rule.JPG
      rule.JPG
      File size:
      136.7 KB
      Views:
  4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Once done, click next. (In my example I have selected local port 50000), you then select allow:

Attached Files:

5. waters

waters Registered Member

Thanks you helped again, all is now well.

6. waters

waters Registered Member

Just got all stealth apart from port 113.
    In filtering rules 2nd rule tcp authorize 113 ticked by default,Does this need this setting

7. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

How does shields up do against this wall

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have personally never needed this. You can change this to block (set the rule to log, then if there are any problems, you can check the log to see if blocking this is causing the problem)

9. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I like this firewall so far. Just have some questions and need a little help. have a lot of UDP stop broadcast in my logs, and believe this is ok because it is set to be blocked in filtering rules. is that right? and do i need special rule for my wireless pc to be able to communicate with router by sending ip address to router or vice versa? hope i am making this clear.

10. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

went with Ashampoo Free Firewall. has help section that is better than PC Tools FW. It's lower in memory usage than PC Tools FW. And when i tested it all ports were stealthed. have hardware firewall so it don't matter anyway. Ashampoo is simple outbound FW for me and with Spyware Terminator and hardware firewall i am good to go.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  11. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

Installed on an old desktop and it very like a light with smooth web browsing and easy to use rules based firewall. The fact that it is based on a great firewall and I have a free lifetime license for the furure versions is a good deal all around.

12. Jimpdx

Jimpdx Registered Member

I tried this today. What a letdown! It worked fine on my admin account, but failed badly on limited user accounts. Each time I logged out, the program lost the Application Control instructions. Each time I logged back on, the field was blank and I had to start from scratch "teaching" this thing what to accept. Was this written with Win9x in mind, without regard to modern Windows versions?

It seems that there are two approaches that would work: 1) Use one configuration for all accounts, or 2) Create separate, fully functional profiles for each account. This program chose 3) None of the above. Too bad.

13. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

New version is out http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44697

If this getting better, I may replace the Kerio2.15 with the PCTools FW.

It runs well now, but some bug fixes that others are experience doesn't hurt.

I liked the Look n Stop firewall. Maybe the new suite for the desktop will be KAV6, free SSM and the PCTools fw.

12fw

14. waters

waters Registered Member

Gone back from comodo to this new version and it is super light,seems i have different computer.

15. cet

cet Registered Member

Are you happy with this firewall.Iam also thinking to uninstall comodo and install this pc tools firewall.Since I have only got 512mb ram comodo uses 24000kb, it is too much for me.But there are no tests done I wonder if this firewall could easily be disabledo_O?If not I can install it.Any comments?*

16. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

Why not try the free SSM with it and the firewall will be protected and at the time the security is enhanced. Both are light and should work great together. Two very good free applications providing a user with good security. JMO

12fw

17. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

How does Comodo compare to this firewall in terms of what you stated here regarding how an application is checked?

18. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Based on these Firewall Leak-Tests, Ashampoo doesn't look good at all and L'n'S (i.e., PC Tools?) was only so-so. Comodo was the very best of all FWs tested and would appear to be well worth the additional memory it wants! :blink:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  19. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

have switch back to pc tools fw. much lower memory usage now. ashampoo was light and easy with good help section. would try comodo, but not sure how easy it is to use. pc tools seems very good now on my pc, and i like it so far. i am just not sure if i need special rule for my pc to get new ip address from router.

20. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Comodo is very easy to setup and use. Just choose automatic during the installation and after restarting you will just need to allow a few access requests. The only problem is that so far I haven't been able to d/l the latest version (released today)!

21. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I tested a bit this firewall, and, like LnS and almost all firewalls has a flaw. It doesn't let me set a "Deny all applications" rule. This is probably not a problem for most of the people, but for me it is :)

22. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

If you are trying to block all applications from accessing the internet there is a very simple fix; disconnect from the internet. You have then successfully denied all applications.

23. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

lol :blink:

24. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

lol

Hipgnosis has a point, if you wanting to deny ALL applications from net, why not simply disconnect? I like the usage of IPCONFIG /RELEASE

As quickly as that was to disconnect, it can be just the same to re-connect with IPCONFIG /RENEW

You could even use batch files, :D

25. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I guess you misunderstood me... :) I want to be able to create a "Deny all aplications" rule, I didn't say it's going to be the ONLY rule. I thought I didn't need to explain that, but I was wrong. So, the problem is I want to create a rule to deny all apps that weren't permitted by the rest of the rules, like:
    * Allow App 1
    * Allow App 2
    * Deny All

I hope I made myself clear this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.