ShadowUser ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by hollywoodpc, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicM

nicM nico-nico

...hm :shifty: , I did try a second time, following Notok's instructions: that simply doesn't work :mad: (received an order confirmation for 29 $, but no serial in the mail). Or their order process looks like a labyrinth, or its working irrational o_O .

Cheers,
    nic

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

There do appear to be some minor logic problems in the process, but they're of an understandable origin.

Personally, to get the process to work, I resorted to the call me option (as already mentioned in a post above).

An attempt to use a credit card process yielded a disallowed charge of $0.00, they obviously flag for amounts greater than zero (which is good, don't want to be randomly offering credits without some clear checks and balances). If you entered the coupon code early on in the process, it will reject a second attempt to enter it at the final transaction screen ($0.00 balance shown, this check probably guards against cascading price reductions). Selecting the Call Me option does work. You are presented with, as I recall, an invoice like screen with a download button in the lower section of the screen. At least when I did this, the e-mails for the key and "order confirmation" were received before the download finished.

Blue

3. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi Blue,

Thanks for your confirmation about the way to proceed :)

That's what I did the first time, when it didn't work (what support confirmed in emails, after I asked them to cancel my order of 29 $ instead of 0; they said there was a problem at that time, it was fixed later), now I've tried a second time, and will probably have to ask them a second time to cancel an order :oops: . Well, now I really give up.

The problem is you have to create an account to do, and you can't "reinitialize" it later after an unsuccessful attemps, what means to create several accounts if you want to try again. Now I've two, I just don't want to bother them more for a free product ;) .

Cheers,
    nicM

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Holy Catfish Andy

I did what Blue suggested, created a new account, and did it by phone with a different email, and it worked. I wonder if it's this difficult to actually give them money.

Pete

5. Danky

Danky Guest

what the heck is the place wheres bufferzone located what is thsi
    http://www.bufferxone.com/

6. securityx

securityx Registered Member

o_O??
    I'm confused. What does this have to do with Shadowuser/Surfer?

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I had the same problem, it said my coupon code wasn´t valid or something, but I will try again. :shifty:

8. PaSSingPhaSe

PaSSingPhaSe Guest

Thanks for the link. Shadowsurfer is too cool. I have been using it for the past several hours and it does everything it says it does. I started with a clean system from an image, installed Shadowsurfer and waded into the abyss. I visited warez sites, let loose a trojan or two from some of my test files, all in all messed up the system with spyware, a virus or two and had it totally infected. I then rebooted the PC and it returned in the exact same configurations as when I began my malware assaults. I compared the image with my system snapshot and they were identical. Shadowsurfer dumped everything and returned my ssytem to a perfect state. I cannot believe this was FREE! I almost bought it a year ago for $50. It would have been worth it.

I use C drive only for OS and programs. All programs point to files on another drive and/or partiton, so I have no worry about saving and then losing files on the C drive.

Thanks again to whoever posted the link. It took me a few times to figure out the process, but following the 'coupon code' and 'call me' directions I was able to download and the validation key was sent immediately to my email.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm glad to hear it works and it will work for undiscovered and brandnew threats as well.

10. nicM

nicM nico-nico

I did try - AGAIN :ouch: - with the coupon and "call me" option, and this time, that worked!! :D

nicM

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I did get the serialkey after I mailed them, but anyway, what I don´t like about ShadowSurfer (and I assume this is the same in ShadowUser) is that you have to reboot to get into ShadowMode, with Sandboxie this isn´t the case, I mean I don´t want to reboot every time I´m testing new software. :rolleyes:

12. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I totally agree! I am testing Shadowuser and everytime I want to go on or off shadowmode I have to reboot.... I hope they can find a way to go on and off of shadowmode without having to reboot each and every time?

Also, is there a way, when in shadowmode, to see what changes and/or what files and folders have been changes? If so, is there a way to also choose the files and folder changes from that list and tell shadowuser to save those changes in to the original files and folders so that way we won't lose those changes at the next normal (not shadowmode) rebooto_O?

Thanks,

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You can try this

See my post if you still fail to get it.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=119758

No need to give CC details at all.
    I agree tht reboot again and again is big trouble. I have one question about Shadow User. When you install a new software in Shadow Mode to try the software, some software after install will ask you to reboot before you could actually use it. Now if you reboot, the software will be lost due to ShadowUser and if you reboot with system safe, it,s useless as you have not yet actually run the software in Shadow Mode to see whether it is safe or not. What is the solution for this?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  14. BlueZannetti

Re: You can try this

aigle,

If you are using ShadowUser (the paid application), you can continue a shadow session across reboots without committing the changes, so this works fine for the scenario you pose. If you are using ShadowSurfer (the one available for free at the moment), you cannot span reboots in shadow mode.

Blue

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It is not the case as i am using the trialversion of shadow user, for reboot you have 6 options as follows:

1- Reboot,disable shadow mode and loose all changes.
    2- Reboot,disable shadow mode with file save only
    3- Reboot,disable shadow mode and full system save

4- Reboot,continue shadow mode and loose all changes
    5- Reboot,continue shadow mode with file save only
    6- Reboot,continue shadow mode and full system save

So obviously you can understand that once you reboot saving any changes( whether you continue in shadow mode or not),the changes become permanant( I mean shadow user can,t discard these changes now). So here you loose your purpose as you want to try the new software under cover of shadow user but after saving the changes the uninstallation of software already goes out of scope of shadow user,although it can still monitor the actions done by the new software if you continue in shadoe mode.

Infact as you know one of the first problemens countered with any software is that once you install it, it might not be easy to uninstal it. So the programmes who prompt us to reboot immediately after installation can,t be uninstalled(erased 0 by shadow user.

I hope I could clear my point thoufg it,s a bit confusing talk.

I will say this Reboo Requirement by shadow user is the only bug so far I could find,but it,s not small.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

you don,t need to see,if you feel your system is Ok,you can ask for full system save and reboot( in shadow mode again or in norm boot ---- but this option is not present in shadow surfer, only in shadow user.

17. BlueZannetti

aigle,

I've not used the trial version, but I assume the same basic structure as the commercial package.

When you are outside of shadow mode, the Options selection of the main menu bar is available (it is not while in shadow mode). If you select this, under the General tab, you can toggle the program to allow Persistence. By default, Persistence is disabled. If you toggle Persistence on, sessions will continue across reboots (which are handled as a normal reboot, don't go to the Mode menu, just allow the system to work as normal). On a quick look at the documentation, they really don't even mention this, but as far as I know, this is what you want to do. Then, on exit from ShadowMode, you will be able to commit or clear any changes made.

Blue

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Option is there, I will try and and tell you the results.

19. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Just a little note on shadowmode. While I was in Kansas two days ago a friend ask me to network his computers so he could have them both on line. After they were online my friend thought he might should run his AOL disc again in case networking did something. i suggested against it but he ran the disc and it screwed the internet connection by corrupting the Winsock. But not a problem since he was running Shadowmode and was enabled and set to restore the system to the same configuration at every reboot. So he rebooted knowing it would put the system back to working order. Shadowmode did not restore the system to a working order and we were not able to get it to connect to the internet. I am sending him a Winsock repair app that we hope will fix the problem, if not it will have to be reformated and restored because of having to much faith in Shadowmode.

P.S.
    He did have it running in shadowuser mode

20. Peter2150

Take a look at Rollback Rx. This would have worked for him.

Pete

21. bigc73542

got First Defense ISR i know it works.

22. Peter2150

I agree. Absolutely no doubt FD-ISR will do the job.

Pete

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Absolute speculation. It's amazing how something that happened in Shadowmode that hasn't been thoroughly analysed is attributed to ShadowUser malfunctioning. Solution: Go First Defense! Do I have to take your word for it?

24. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

FirstDefense works as advertised on any system that it is compatible with, I'd bet my next week's pay check on that. :cool:

Acadia

25. bigc73542

No one ask you to do a darn thing, the choice is yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.