ShadowUser ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by hollywoodpc, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

BigC,

There are some configuration options involving prespecified autocommit that could yield this behavior, as well as the obvious persistence option which will span reboots and a few other ways I can think of off hand. These things might seem too obvious, just guessing.

There can be glitches as with any software, however I'd certainly verify configuration details before entertaining a reformat. As for Winsock, I've reset that more times that I care to remember either manually or with the prepackaged apps and I've never had that path fail when it was a true Winsock issue.

Blue

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have faith the app I sent him will fix the winsock, it has always worked in the past. And not once did I say that shadowmode (shadowuser) wasn't any good. I just said that the one time he really needed it to work it failed completely. And that you shouldn't have blind faith that an app will work as advertised all of the time.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Indeed! I've had Shadowuser for 5 months now and it has ALWAYS brought my system back to square one. I get a kick out of people using any opportunity to blast an application they haven't even tried to promote their latest choice. You haven't replicated the problem your friend had with First Defense, and internet connections problems might very well be beyond the software capabilities.

@Acadia. The thread is about ShadowUser and not a comparaison with First Defense. As far as I see the issue, the two applications work in very different ways - SU creates a virtual volume and FD a snapshot of the system. Trying to play one against the other is counterproductive particularly without hard evidence.

4. bigc73542

And I wasn't and did not blast any product, all I did was give a heads up that it wouldn't recover the internet due to a winsock problem in the case of my friends computer. And no I didn't replicate the problem with first defense and why should I, it is not the software he chooses to use. Besides I saw the way it works. I don't have to be shot four or five times to realize that bullets hurt. And as most people here that know who I am realize that I am fair and impartial with all software applications. If I have an issue with any particular app I will post what it did so others know that it can happen. I do not tell anyone what software they ought to be running I always tell everyone that they need to try the different apps for them selfs so they will know which is right for them. So I would appreciate it if you didn't accuse me of something I didn't do.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It was not my intention to create a situation whereby you might feel accused. We are talking about softwares and I have learned a lot mainly from people like you at Wilders. My feeling is that sometimes there is a rushed consensus about what seems to be right or wrong, and inevitably that leads to controversy.

6. bigc73542

Possible misunderstandings all around lets just move on.;)

bigc

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Who's trying to do that? I think that ShadowUser and Surfer are excellent products and I highly recommend them.

Acadia

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

When I tried ShadowUser I also had a problem getting to do what I wanted. I suspect I just didn't have something set right. Like any of these programs you need to test and play with them to understand what and how they work, before depending on them. This is equally true for Shadowuser,Rollback and FDISR.

There also was a comment back further in the thread that maybe FDISR couldn't handle network configurations. Not true, it can reset ANYTHING on the computer.

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Yeah, i can vouch for that. Nice gift if you ask me. I've done tons of research and all that on alternate boxes over the years and even lost a laptop once to a hard drive killer i was testing.

Using ShadowSurfer now myself and thoroughly enjoying the peace and tranquility of having matters returned right back again as they were after a simple reboot from any Shadow session. Makes it really a breeze to surf the net virtual, and takes that uncertainty away that's always been expected when you run into something that's designed to intrude your machine.

Great product IMO. Dunno much if anything about ShadowUser but i understand Suzi over at Spyware Warrior was pretty high about it for a time.
    Is there much difference to going the ShadUser route as compared to ShadSurf?

10. BlueZannetti

The feature comparison list at the vendors site, here, see question associated with item 4, pretty much says it all.

Blue

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Recently i tried installing following software with ShadowUser,s shadow mode.

Prevx1R
    Antihook
    PG free
    SSM
    Neova beta

I could not install SSM, Neova and PG as the window did not start normally on reboot and did system restore automatically. I tried PG free withpout Shadow mode and it was successful.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm not quite sure I understand what you did, but if you want to test programs in 'Shadow mode' and expect them to survive a reboot, you'll have to make sure that 'Shadow mode' is set to 'persistent', and that can only be done when you are in 'normal mode' from the ShadowUser GUI under 'options'.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes I did this and shadow mode did persist but the problemhappened on reboot as I mentioned above, however some programmes I was able to install, I think SU need some improvement, some body in this forum told me that he does not have this problemwith FDISR or Rollback Rx.

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I would be careful before I conclude that SU needs improvement (no product is really final anyway), sometimes it could be an unknown conflict. When I first got SU I got at times some blue screens when testing programs particularly in persistent mode.

I contacted support already thinking I had made a mistake buying the program, and to my surprise they replied that the symptoms I had described where typical of a known conflict with an old version of Kaspersky AV. Needless to say I had exactly THAT version of KAV, and as a matter of fact, uninstalling KAV killed the bluescreens (I currently have NOD and no conflicts, recent versions of KAV don't conflict anymore with SU).

If you think it's too much of a hassle to investigate the problem, you can obviously look at other solutions that might give you good results straight away.

I honestly think every software is very good at certain things and not really suitable for others. I use SU first and foremost to surf the web knowing that my system with a simple reboot can flush out all sort of undesirable stuff, including mail attachments. If I were into beta testing as a hobby, I would probably look at different software, and one has the embarassment of riches in terms of choices.

15. BlueZannetti

That's a pretty good one sentence overview of ShadowUser's primary usage.

Although SU, FD-ISR and Rollback Rx are being mentioned with the same goals in mind in various threads here, and they do have functional overlap, they're really very distinct product offerings.

SU is designed for continual flushing of recent content/changes to restore the state of the last shadow session start, with the opportunity to commit anything desired. However, once committed, that is it, there's no going back.

FD-ISR/Roolback Rx do not constantly flush the system state to a previous condition, but have prior snapshots to recover a specifically saved state when directed to do so at any time in the future.

The asymmetry is design ethic is clear, as are the intended primary applications. I do not view these products as directly interchangeable.

Blue

16. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

The latest version of FD now has the feature to automatically revert your system back to a previous state every time that you reboot.

Acadia

17. BlueZannetti

Acadia,

Trying to capture the essentials in a simple fashion, I did state this somewhat too casually. Obviously, if you can set back to a previous snapshot at any time in the future as I noted, that includes each reboot as a subset with automation finessing the result. One really needs the prior description of SU for the comment to be completely within context and I should have been explicit that
    My main point remains, they are really two different classes of programs with some significant overlap. I realize that you are not trying to perform an explicit direct comparison, but making a point-counterpoint feature set comparisons basically accomplishes that.

Blue

18. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Oh, yes, the technologies of FD and RB are COMPLETELY different from one another. They do basically the same thing but arrive there from two completely different directions. :)

Acadia

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You might be right, infact as i did not make my mind to buy it, so I did not discuss it with the support.

20. ashwin

ashwin Registered Member

FYI: I followed the "freebie" process above, and the download version I recieved for ShadowSurfer is a 15 day trial...

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes, it will be trial and u need to enter the key sent to u by post.
    Also make sure the offer is still valid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.