ShadowUser ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by hollywoodpc, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Some people have sort of pushed Shadowuser as something special . I have read about it and have seen the price . Is this a joke ? My question is this : How much difference is there between ShadowUser and BufferZone ( formerly AntiMalware ) ? I know BZ is still kind of a beta but , it works great ! Not that free is all that important to me but , $69.95 compared to free . And they seem to be comparable products . Any info would be appreciated .
    thanks in advance .

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

ShadowUser sandboxes the entire OS, where BufferZone just sandboxes a few apps of your choice. AM also doesn't have the ability to "commit" changes, although you can selectively move files in and out of the BufferZone.. not quite the same, though. So in theory, you could tell SU to "commit" the new bookmarks you just made, then clear the sandbox, and have those bookmarks available inside and outside of the sandbox. With BufferZone, you would have to navigate into the virtual folder and make a copy of the bookmarks file, then release that copy from the BufferZone each time. From what I understand, SU will show you the changes when you exit Shadow Mode, giving you an option to commit or trash.. where BZ has to be "cleaned" manually. I've not really used SU, though, so I'm mainly going on what I've seen around here vs my experience with BZ. Maybe someone like Spy1 can give you a more experienced comparison.

Keep in mind, too, that BZ is going to be $50 after it's out of beta.. $20 isn't that great of a difference for what it does, and I'm sure you can find deals around somewhere.

3. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Thank you Notok .
    I knew how BZ worked . Just could not figure the difference . And BZ WILL be $ 50 out of beta ? Ok . Hmmmm . Actually , SU can be had for that now . Instant $ 20 off . I think that will ALWAYS be the case though . I will be surprised if they sell it for $ 69 . 95 all the time .
    I really like BZ . I have for quite some time . I think I will stay right where I am and not even test SU at this point . Thank you again

4. BufferZone

BufferZone Guest

First, we are considering how to leverage the usability of the BufferZone clean mechanism (e.g. cleaning only certain extensions or paths). You are welcome to post suggestions in the community(http://www.trustware.com/forum)

Second, Beta testers group members of the BZ community will keep on getting the prereleased and released versions free...so you can join this group.

Have a nice day,

Tal

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Hi,

I´ve recently installed Sandboxie and I really like the ability to test apps without actually installing them on my real system. However, not all apps will work because they are restricted in the sandbox of course. So I wonder what´s the best solution? At first I thought that Bufferzone, VELite might be a possible solution, but they will also not allow to install any software I guess? So is ShadowUser the best solution, for someone who wants to test software? :)

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

In my opinion, any of the Instant Recovery programs such as GoBack, RestoreIt, Rollback RX, or FirstDefense-ISR will suit you perfectly, plus give you their many other benefits. Whatever you choose, good luck.

Acadia

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't know about the others, but ShadowUser requires only a simple reboot to recover your system.

8. nicM

nicM nico-nico

As Notok said there's a difference in how theses two programs handle virtualization, the whole computer files for one (SU, with the ability to exclude files however), "untrusted" apps and files separated from the rest of the system in "real time", without reboot to change its mode for BufferZone.

I've not played too much with that feature, but I think it's making BufferZone more close to SU: you can run BufferZone in "Desktop mode", meaning that all processes are going "untrusted"; then you can go back later by leaving desktop mode, and all files created during this session mode can be deleted with a Bufferzone cleaning: that's still different, but comparable to SU on this point.

One substantial difference yet: BufferZone does have dedicated protection features, upon its main virtualization layer, something we don't find in SU: http://trustware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38

Cheers,
    nicM

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

At least two of the programs, GoBack and FirstDefense, require only a simple reboot; don't know about the others but I suspect that they would be the same: they don't call them Instant Recovery for nothing. :cool:

Acadia

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not familiar with Buffer Zone, but a couple quick differences between shadow users and FDISR.

Shadow User you reboot to enter and reboot to exit and your system is back like it was, with changes commited if so desired.

First Defense you also have to reboots with a copy in between.

From talking with a Shadow User user, the 2nd reboot takes longer as it has to clean up, so the time difference isn't that great.

First Defense offers the ability to work in two different snapshots and leave them both the way the are when you leave them, and return and continue. I don't believe once you leave Shadow Mode in SU there is anyway to return to the state it was in when you left.

Finally there is a tech support issue. I live in the US so phone is an option. I can call Raxco and talk with FDISR techsupport with ease. Tried that with SU and couldn't get past an answering machine that takes a message and has them call. They never called.

Pete

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I think I will buy ShadowUser, I need it mainly to test new software, I´m not going to use it as a real security tool, and from what I´ve read so far it looks impressive to me. :)

12. controler

controler Guest

The only program I know of that lets you try anything including kernel & drivers is VMware but with this program you are using another operating system in the virtual world, weather it be linux, windows 98 or what have you. Then again VMware is not cheap.

This would be the big difference between go back programs wich use your current OS as the guinne pig.

VMware is really not that tough to install and use.
    Way easier then some great firewalls.
    For the freebie users here I would recommend Microsofts Shared Toolkit which is FREE

con

13. You might try ShadowSurfer first, it's very much like ShadowUser. Here's an aincentive - It's free right now. go to http://www.shadowstor.com/download.html It will be the free trial. Then they email you your validation key. Great deal on this program! $30.00 value.

14. PeterVO

PeterVO Registered Member

Hello,

I tried to "buy" ShadowSurfer but you've still to enter your credit card details for a free product. That's a bid strange, isn't it?
    Or is there another way to acquire it?

Kind regards,

PeterVOo_O

15. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

When I tried it you did not have to enter your cc details

- there is a coupon code on the web page that makes the sum payable zero from memory -

16. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

This isn't really strange.
    ShadowStor has an application that is designed for PAID software and is trying to use the same application for FREE software and the coupon is used as a trick to neutralize the payment and makes the total zero.
    That's why you also have to enter your credit card data, because the application is designed for PAID softwares.

17. Notok

Notok Registered Member

On the last page I just had to enter the coupon code in the "Purchase Order" field (not the Coupon field) and it gave me the reciept and emailed me the code :) (did not have to enter a card number)

Thanks for posting the link, awesome freebie :)

18. Peter2150

Hi Notok

How quickly did you receive a key. I tried it both with the card, and like you did. Wasn't charged, but haven't received a key.

Pete

19. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

20. Peter2150

21. nicM

nicM nico-nico

hmm :blink: , I did try to get it too, few weeks ago, and the methd explained in the link didn't work, I finally ended with an order for 29 $ but without cc, just a phone number...

Shadowstor support was incredibly fast :eek: , and friendly, to cancel my order, and explained me there was a bug in their order process, and that I had to re-order a second time.

But I didn't try a second time, because all was showing like at the first order, on the last page before to submit the order o_O ...

Their offer is great, but IF you manage to resolve the order enigma. I gave up :doubt:

Cheers,
    nic

22. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I just got it for free also. The coupon code is "SURFER" in case anyone wants it.

23. WonderBread

WonderBread Guest

ShadowSurfer is really cool. When you try it, and while in ShadowMode, wipe out some files off the c: drive. copy files to the c: drive that don't normally go there. That kind of thing. then..........
    Reboot ----------it's all gone! Very cool.
    Very nice addition to the arsenal and simple as pie to use. Can't beat the price. (free) :)

24. Peter2150

How did you guys get the key. I went thru the order process twice once with CC, and once telling it I had a coupon. Same result came to the last page, where you get the download. Never got an email with the key. How quick did the key come?

Pete

25. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Pete,

What do you mean by same result? You received a page which had a download link, correct?

The key should be received within minutes.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.