Norton 2013 Products Final Released.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brocke, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Updated and installed 2013...first off NIS 2013 Installer wants you to remove any conflicting software...in my case it was WSA Essentials...not impressed...secondly the Gui...is One Dimensional...not a big deal...but if this is Windows 8 inspired...not impressed...ran a full scan...and the scanning time is identical to last years...not quicker. So far not impressed. Sincerely...Securon

2. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I'm interested in trying it out but the posts on their forums do not look promising. I think I'll let them work out some bugs before I disrupt a machine that is working perfectly fine. How does anyone here that has installed it feel about it?

4. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

running fine here.

so far so good. :)

5. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Well heres the changelog of sorts.Nothing much to write home about imo.Point 5 about the smart firewall intrigues me.Ive never ever had a firewall popup off nis 2012 with smart firewall enabled o_O.I thought that was the whole point of smart firewall.Its only when smart firewall is disabled i got popups ,so im not sure what this new "allowing me to make an informed descison" is all about.Dont get me wrong ,i think NIS 2012 is fantastic ,and ive upgraded because its free and i have a 3 year licence.But to those who wish to stay with 2012 your not missing anything apart from the unbelievably bad gui.....imo.
    .......................................................................................
    Here are some of the new features in this release:

Windows 8 Support

1.We’ve included many under-the-hood enhancements to support and integrate with the upcoming Windows 8 release.

2.Enhanced features in the Norton Toolbar to enable you to safely navigate the web and share URLs as well protect your identity data.

3.Significant performance enhancements that will ensure your computer runs faster with Norton products installed than any other security product, including the default Windows Defender product.

4.Powerful phishing detection using Norton’s vast URL reputation data and advanced data analytics to significantly improve phishing protection effectiveness not just in the most popular sites but also in the newest and less frequently visited sites.

Reputation Firewall

5.Smart Firewall now uses the power of Norton’s vast amount of reputation data to enable users to make more informed decisions when a firewall alert appears.

Enhanced Metered Network Broadband Mode

6.Our existing cost aware networking feature now leverages the new cost aware networking capabilities built into Windows 8 to offer our users to create more powerful policies when on metered networks. It also displays the name of the WiFi SSID instead of the WiFi adapter, to set the metered policies.

Integration of Norton Power Eraser

7.Instead of taking you to a Web page, the new Norton products now provide a link on the manual scan completion page to directly download and run Norton Power Eraser tool.

Always updated all the time

8.All patches and product upgrades will be downloaded automatically and will not require a restart.

Remote Management

9.Now includes a built-in feature that allows you to remotely manage your Norton products through Management portal even without installing the Management agent.

Learn more by visiting these links:

Norton Internet Security

Norton AntiVirus

6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

This is major step backwards. Why would they remove the option to have a local vault? I see lots of people are complaining on their forums about it, so hopefully they will enable the option for have a local password vault.

7. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

"Safe" money and Kaspersky ?? That's an oxymoron if I heard one. I wouldn't trust them with my money even if they paid me to run their product.

http://kasperskysucks.blogspot.com/2012/08/at-least-microsoft-is-not-sending-your.html

With all the attacks on corporations these days, its only a matter of time before Kaspersky gets hit AGAIN. And there are no laws in their part of the world to protect you, should your data that they hold be compromised.

8. vojta

vojta Registered Member

And your source is...? Don't tell me, nationalist prejudices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_protection_(privacy)_laws_in_Russia

Applicable Data Protection (Privacy) Legislation in Russia

1.1 Convention for the Protection of Individuals with regard to Automatic Processing of Personal Data, signed and ratified by the Russian Federation on December, 19 2005;

1.2 the Law of the Russian Federation “On Personal Data” as of 27.07.2006 No. 152-FZ, regulating the processing of personal data by means of automation equipment. It is the operator who is required to comply with that Act;

1.3 the “Regulations on securing personal data being processed in personal data systems” enacted by the Russian Government Regulation as of 17.11.2007 No. 781. The Regulations contain mandatory security regulations to be complied with when processing and storing personal data;

1.4 the Federal law “On Advertisement” as of 13.03.2006 No. 38-FZ. This regulates marketing communications sent inter alia by electronic means including e-mail, SMS etc.;

1.5 the Russian Code on Administrative Infractions dated 30.12.2001 No.195-FZ. This regulates issues of responsibility for commission of administrative offences in connection with processing of personal data or distribution of marketing communications.

9. flik

flik Registered Member

Is there any link for Greek language? Or it has only released for English?

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, some people don't like it, but it's debatable. Symantec appears to be following the "cloud" model ala LastPass.

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

When I used NIS 2012 occasionally when I downloaded a file I would get a pop-up saying that NIS had no information about it. I believe there was an option to "trust" the file and contribute to building its reputation. This isn't a new feature.

An integrated link to Norton Power Eraser is a good idea. I'd really like to see it become part of the program.

Making updates possible without rebooting is also a good idea. I wonder how they manage it? :)

Remote management was already present in 2012.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  12. malexous

malexous Registered Member

It relates to the firewall prompts you may receive when you turn Automatic Program Control to Off or Aggressive (Aggressive is a new option for this setting): https://www-secure.symantec.com/nor...rrent&docid=v19134741_N360_N360RET_2013_en_us.
    Some updates may require a restart according to https://www-secure.symantec.com/nor...0.1.1.2&docid=v73307035_NIS_Retail_2013_en_us.
    I think you had to install a second application to use it but now you do not.

Attached Files:

• !.JPG
      !.JPG
      File size:
      32.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Ah, the difference is they've integrated it - thanks!

14. Raza0007

It is fine if they want to prefer cloud based model, but they should still give the end user a choice whether they want to move their passwords to a could or a local vault. Lastpass is far superior to Norton identity safe but the only reason I do not use it because they also do not have an option for a local vault.

Seeing the number of complaints on Norton forums I am assuming they will put this option back in their 2013 products.

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I lurk over there occasionally and I've read some of that thread. It's probably better to just use keepass and not wait on Symantec.

16. malexous

malexous Registered Member

17. Raza0007

If it was only the problem with home users, I would not have hoped that Symantec would do anything, but Symantec has a strong presence in corporate environment and most corporations have rules against uploading anything on third party clouds. So, Symantec might change its behavior because of them.

18. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I prefer to save my passwords in a vault called my brain:-not sure I trust any cloud or local based program to ever do that for me,who knows what malware may be developed in the future that could breach either?

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

If your passwords are as complex as mine you must have a very good brain :thumb: :)

20. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

all you have to do is remember something far more simple associated with them

21. JoeBlack40

Norton still chooses to take automatic actions.Installed NIS 2013 today and after a reboot my Volumouse (a not harmful but a very useful tool,at least for me, from Nirsoft) set to autostart wasn't working.What the heck?I checked the autostart entry,was fine.Tried to open the software manually,not working.Ooookay...let's check Norton.And indeed,without ANY warning of any kind,the file was in Application Ratings with a BAD rating and was blocked.What if this was happening with an important file system and to an average user?I always say that i don't need software that take decisions for me.I have an unused license for NIS,but this crap will never see my systems again.:thumbd:

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I feel it's the lack of notification that's the problem. It's just a false positive, but it should be made obvious and easy to correct. Unfortunately this kind of aggressive automation has been a "feature" of the Norton products for a while now.

23. JoeBlack40

Yes,you are right,just a FP,but i hate the way i didn't get any warnings,any notifications and i have to guess what happened.

24. Raza0007

I used to do that but the number of passwords that I needed to keep in my head had grown to such an extent that I considered it a waste of brain power to store them there.

Secondly, there are some sites and forums that I visit only occasionally, there is no need to remember their usernames and passwords.

Lastly, I like the way these password managers auto fill the username and password for sites. It saves me a lot of time, as my usual passwords are at least 16 bit long, containing complex characters and it is a chore to type them over and over all the time.

By the way, most of the password vaults are encrypted with 256 bit AES or twofish and if you use at least a 16 character long key to encrypt them, it is currently nearly impossible to break with today's computing power.

25. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, it seems to me that password's are at much less risk encrypted online than when they're written down, or too simple, or repeated over and over, or just forgotten. There are also the benefits of ease of use, and synchronization, but I understand that others disagree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.