Norton 2013 Products Final Released.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brocke, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itman

itman Registered Member

Appears they still haven't fixed the OS shutdown issue that is dogging this 2013 version?

2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

The changelog does mention improvements with Windows 8 compatibility. The reboot/shutdown issue might be part of that (hopefully).

3. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I have 2 NIS icons in the tray.Wow,double protection,right?:D

Attached Files:

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

What's weird is that my laptop came with NIS and Windows 8 and I have had none of these shutdown issues or 2-icon things as long as I kept NIS (now I have replaced it with something else).

5. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Two for the price on one!:thumb:

6. DX2

DX2 Guest

Yeah, same here, my HP came with NIS, that had W8. No problems with it at all, but quickly changed it also.

7. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

So NIS 2013 is back to being heavy again huh? That is unfortunate. Was thinking of giving it a go again, but meh.

8. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Not heavy at all (based on my experience) but it does have some issues.

9. Trooper

So in other words, stay away? I'm on the hunt for a new av. ;)

10. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Nope,I didn't say that :) Have to admit I didn't have any significant issues with Norton.
    But I 've found a good deal for Bitdefender and that was it.
    I didn't have enough money for Norton at that time.

Edit:The only issue I had was related to slow loading the NAV 2013 icon in the system tray.

Try it and see if it's good for you.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  11. Trooper

I may, but only if I can find it on the cheap. Its for an older pc, so it has to be a lightweight. :ninja:

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Not heavy for me either, and I am having no issues. I was not able to get the latest patch during the apparently short time is was available though. I guess I'll have to wait for a wider release. :(

13. Trooper

You guys probably have newer machines than I do. I need a new PC big time. So you think it would be ok on an older pc?

14. c2d

c2d Registered Member

It should probably work and here are the System Requirements for Norton AV:

What are your PC specs?

15. Trooper

Thanks for the specs. To be honest, I can't remember off the top of my head. I built the pc I own, but that was 6.5 years ago. :'(

16. xxJackxx

Depends on how old. I am running it on a laptop I bought in 2009 and it runs just fine. It has an Intel T9550 dual core. I did upgrade it to 8GB of RAM though.

Also... I did email the admin at the Norton forums to get the patch (they offer that option in the release post). No issues so far. :thumb:

17. itman

itman Registered Member

I have NIS 2012/2013 installed on multiple OSes/PCs. One is my daughter's 2005 Compac PC with a single core AMD Sempron processor with XP SP3 and a slow Samsung IDE drive. I have it configured for max. protection on that PC. Runs fine with no performance impact. I would recommend upgrading to 2 GB memory if possible on an old PC but it should run fine with 1 GB memory.

Note: What will slow down any installation is the optimize feature Norton sets on by default. Disable that feature after installation.

If you don't want the bugs still haunting NIS/NAV 2013, install the 2012 versions. You can always upgrade for free later.

I have been running NIS 2013 on WIN 7 x64 SP1 with no issue except for an ocassional weird black screen at shutdown stating shutdown is waiting for a backgroud process to terminate. The wait is not long when that happens; about 5 secs and the shutdown proceeds normally. I believe this is caused by the patch they issued a while back to fix long shutdown issues.

18. Trooper

My PC is pretty beefy, well it was at the time. Its running Win 7 x64 with SP1. 4GB of RAM and 2.4ghz dual core processor. Not exactly cutting edge but you catch my drift.

Now, any good deals on NIS? I looked around but have not seen any yet.

Thanks.

EDIT: Found this: http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Intern...sr=1-2&keywords=norton internet security 2012

Any cheaper deals? Also, what is with the one user/3 pc lingo?

19. xxJackxx

Doesn't the optimize only run during idle time? I have not noticed it running while I use the computer, but the history shows it does run.

At least for me the 2012 has been the heaviest version in the past 4 years. I would try 2013 (again, I have had not issues with it, does not mean you won't) before trying the 2012.

20. xxJackxx

Not a bad machine, should be fine.

At this moment Amazon.com has NIS 2013 3 PC for $24.99. - That's a download. I bought mine that way last time, no complaints and you get it immediately.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, Amazon always seems to have some good deals on Norton products. I have purchased NIS there before at a very good price..

22. Trooper

Got it Jack thank you. I just edited my post above and now you guys posted this lol.

Any settings to change off the bat for performance and security?

Yeah machine is good, but its showing its age of late. Want to get a new pc (hopefully soon). No time to build so will have to buy. But that is a story for another thread.

Thanks man! :)

23. xxJackxx

The only thing I change is any settings that allow it to automatically delete files. I hate that, but I have not had that problem in a while. It's pretty good out of the box, one of the things I like about it.

24. Trooper

Where would I find those settings? Have not used Norton in like 10 or more years. :p

25. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Norton Internet Security / Norton AntiVirus

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Delay-shutdown/td-p/860836

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.