Norton 2013 Products Final Released.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brocke, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:ouch:
    Lucky I installed into a spare snapshot, frankly : I hate it
    Should have researched it a bit more.
    Waste of 2 hours.

-do not like the 'cloud' vault thingy
    - do not like the integrated Facebook option ( seriously; WTF :mad: ) on the tool bar.
    ( LOL: bet the corporates will love that !!)
    - interface: take it or leave it: not really big on kindergarten pictionary, not really "sleek", more like clunky, too many colours.
    Perfect example of why good design really means something ( see: Apple !! )

Lots and lots of peeved peeps at Symantec forums too.
    Soooo simple to add an opt out >> Duh.

Heh: typical Symantec: every few years someone there has a brain explosion: then comes the blow back...

Bloatware... fixed
    then
    Remember the pathetic ASK debacle :rolleyes: ... fixed

Been OK for a while.

Should be very clear to ALL the software makers that the wind can change very quickly

Big companies can just evaporate.

Symantec was smart enough to respond previously:
    http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/secu...-spoke-up-symantec-changed-the-norton-toolbar
    Hey: mebbe there just checking to see if we're paying attention

Rollback.... Rollon...

PS: in fact double whammy: ASK by default on Symantec menu again !!
    Dear oh dear.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Had it(nis 201300 running for last 6 days and seems to work fine,no issues at all to be honest,unusual for a new product,seems even faster/lighter than previous versions.As for not liking the GUI:-how can the GUI really be an issue?unless you want it as a desktop?you only see it/use it when configuring things so who gives a monkeys what it looks like?more concerned with how a product works!

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It may not be an issue for some, but it is a valid complaint for others, including myself. When I buy software I expect a professional and well thought out interface. It is my interface to interact with the product and I demand it be acceptable to work with.

4. steve1955

so you're saying you'd rather buy a "pretty product" than one that isn't but performs better? says lots about consumer values!

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Does Norton 2013 have something comparable to a Safe Money or SafeZone module? So far I cannot determine that it does.

Thanks,
    Jerry

6. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

No, it does not.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks KING.:)
    Jerry

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Nope, I expect a complete package. If an otherwise great product has a lousy interface it loses a lot of points for that. Will it stop me from using it? Not necessarily. However if 2 products are equal in every other way the one with the better GUI wins. It doesn't have to be "pretty" but it does have to be good.

If a software company has a bad website I also won't buy their product. If they can't pull off a professional website, they likely can't develop a good software product either. :ouch:

9. steve1955

if a website gives you all the info needed does it have to have all the latest graphics etc to tempt you into buying their product?what a shallow view of things!:perhaps their expertise lies in developing their product rather than fancy websites and feel money could be better spent on R&D than outsourcing things to other companies?As for GUI of norton 2013:pin it in the advanced mode:-that does away with the child like icons

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Agree; the base functionality is no problem.
    What I loathe is the default of 3rd part software/intervention included Ostensibly to "improve web experience". :cautious:
    Perhaps some extra $$ for Symantec ?? Dont know: not aware of any disclosure.
    No consent asked for nor given ( unless it's somewhere in the "agreement")
    No optout.
    Not customisable.
    = Disgrace.

From correspondence with Rowan Trollope after the previous debacle with ASK in 2009:
    http://www.symantec.com/about/profile/management/executives/bio.jsp?bioid=rowan_trollope

And company's clarification for fairness :) :
    Yyeeaahh: except redirection to ASK: no promises from ASK about what they might be doing, funny that.
    Same as a big banner add: "Symantec endorses ASK.com as the search engine of choice "

Hhmm: seem to have forgotten some promises?

This was also the time of the PIFTS semi-fiasco and the 'rogue support' issue
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2342634,00.asp

On Chrome: allegedly resets default search to ASK !!
    In IE9: allegedly adds ASk to search.

Not acceptable.

The Facebook 'tool' has nothing to do with security.

GUI: uneccessary fooling around ...imho ...change for the better ...not really?
    Lean and mean baby, lean and mean.

There was a good line written somewhere that "Symantec is so huge, whatever the company does can effect the web" ... prolly true, but also implies great responsibility. I believe that with this latest upgrade, or new install, that position is being abused ... again.

As always, take it or leave it.....
    Game breaker if not changed: have 30 days left :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  11. steve1955

If the ask integration for norton safe search is such an issue:-disable it and use your chosen engine through your browser?,Norton ,as far as I know,don't have their own search engine so to offer their"safe search" they would have had to integrate with one of the ones out there wouldn't they?They chose ask,perhaps you'd have preferred google,especially with all the recent debacle over their privacy policy etc?PS has it reset you default search in your browser to ask or are you just grumbling about the notron safe search?it hasn't on any of PCs I have installed it on

12. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Not in my Windows XP virtual machine.
    It does not set it as default but it does add Norton Safe Search to Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 15.0 in my Windows XP virtual machine.

13. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

I feel using Norton like paying to the Mafia to secure you, they are too big and with too much of a dark past, see FBI connections, the same with McAffe.

14. steve1955

and kaspersky?ties with russian secret service? god knows what ties the chinese products have:-sorry am I sounding as paranoid as you?

15. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

+2
    totaly agree with you steve !!

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yeah, there's nowhere to go but down if you start thinking the security software companies are after you too LOL.

Regarding Norton and the Ask search engine, I feel this is a small issue over all. Yes it's annoying and wrong, but it's easily disabled/removed. As to the 2013 GUI can you really blame them for getting on the Metro bus? Windows 8 is the brave new world and the software makers want a place in it. Given the look of NIS 2012 I don't feel 2013 is that big of a departure. There are more serious ongoing issues such as deleting downloads without user confirmation. I also feel they've been less than honest about acknowledging weaknesses in the program, for instance the inability to deal with zeroaccess (did they ever fix that?). That's why I've stopped using it.

17. steve1955

One thing to think about re the GUI is that they are designed for the "normal user":-ie they are made as simple to understand and use,using large icons etc as possible

18. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

if you havnt noticed norton has stopped it versioning system now they are just known as Norton Antivirus etc without the years. look at the website you wont see a 2013

19. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Installed today NIS 2013 (again!) and i noticed something at least strange.The Norton's start-up doesn't show up in WinPatrol,nor in CCleaner or Revo.And of course,not in Windows start-ups too.Is NIS hiding itself from malware :D or i may have a corrupt installation?

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Maybe it doesn't want to talk to you again. You don't like it. You keep uninstalling it.:D:argh:

21. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Well,maybe you're right.And i honestly do like it,but not enough to tolerate such behavior(s).And that's why i keep uninstalling it,is its fault.:D ;)
    PS.I've made a Rollback snapshot with NIS,maybe it changes it mind and it will talk to me.:D
    PS1.On a serious note,i think that the problem is due to the fact that i installed first a 2009 NIS version,and on top of it i installed NIS 2013.But it shouldn't be a problem,as Norton uninstalls older version and after restart everything should be ok.Hmmm....

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  22. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Uninstalled NIS 2013 and reinstalled NIS 2012 on my desktop and laptop. I had problems with 2013 that I don't have with 2012 for some reason. Maybe just particular to my machines.

23. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    I bought Norton 360 but haven't reached the trial period limit on this PC. Is there any advantage to getting NIS 2013 over N360?

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I believe the main difference is the backup feature in N360. If you don't need that then I'd go with NIS because it's usually cheaper. I also happen to prefer the NIS UI. I believe they have the same protection technologies.

25. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    Didn't pay that much...per a deal in an earlier thread. Wonder if they can transfer this license or I'd have to pay for NIS 2013?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.