Toolwiz Time Freeze

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by sg09, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Everybody seems to be working in such technology... The problem is that it never comes to reality...

2. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Never? Never ever? You know that's not true :D

3. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I posted the following on their website after my original bug report post, maybe it will help someone here. I also like the program...............

"Update: I read elsewhere on this forum that even though the "Don't start with windows" option is checked in Timefreeze, it doesn't actually work, so I reinstalled 1.80 again, and I deleted the startup entry using CCleaner, and so far so good. I have done 10 reboots, 5 normal mode and 5 in frozen mode, and I have yet to have a problem.

So obviously something was happening when Timefreeze was trying to autostart during system startup."

4. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Well, I was wrong. Everything was working OK, and after a frozen mode reboot, I could not boot at all, not even in safe mode. After trying for 15 minutes I finally got lucky, and my machine booted, so I immediately uninstalled TF and I doubt I'll be reinstalling any time soon.

5. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I hear ya. It gives a bit of anxiety to install a program that has caused grief in the past. I am not installing the new TTF, I will hold back and wait.

6. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Hi @ soccerfan,

My experience with v. 1.8 tell me that aren't any differences between the latest v. and previous versions - performance related. And I can say also: it runs similarly if user is in a virtualized mode or not. Since I'm using for some time 'Wondershare Time Freeze', I didn't noticed performance differences between these two app..

I'm trying/testing v 1.8 and I will give my opinion soon. This free software is worthy of attention.

And I'm glad that it is running smoothly with SandboxIE.

7. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Thanks majoMo, look forward to your testing results:thumb:

8. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Apart from the password issue with version 1.70, version 1.80 is running smooth as silk for me. It's fast, it's small and it seems to work just fine. No scans have ever found anything yet in all the time I've been using this software. I agree - worthy of attention indeed.

9. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

Just what I was hoping. Thanks :D

10. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

They have just released v1.8.1.0

I am just trying it out on my computers with SSDs. It is very good and stable so far. It has come a long ways since v1.6.0.0

Shadow Defender doesn't work with SSDs, where as Toolwiz Time Freeze does and it also protects the MBR.

Also, it is very fast boot times, no degradation on boot times on SSDs.

Best regards,

KOR!

P.S. I like the way it enters and exits the virtualization, it is completely opposite of the other virtualization software I have known so far.

11. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Does this mean if installing a bad program that wants to install rootkit or MBR virus that TTF will not allow it?

Is the latest version stable enough to install? I got worried from previous version as some had BSOD and it kept asking for a password.

And how is this better to use when installing programs, over using SBIE to install programs?

12. aladdin

Dear TheMozart,

It says that it protects MBR. How good it is I don't know. Maybe some of the diehards can test this feature.

It is released just today, and so far it has been very stable on my laptop.

SBIE works on individual programs, which is best while surfing. I am using SBIE with it.

Where as Toolwiz Time Freeze protects the complete "system" partition. I am not sure if protects more than one partition and/or hard disk like Shadow Defender does.

Best regards,

KOR!

13. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

KOR, sorry if it seems I am badgering the same question, but I am still unsure why using TTF to install and test programs would be better than using SBIE to install and test programs? Seeing both create a "virtual environment".

What am I failing to understand? Why do I need TTF to test installing programs when I can use SBIE?

14. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Any know how it's working with Windows XP SP3? I tried 1.7 last weekend when it was first released and ended up with a disaster on my hands.

Very honestly, pretty scared to try it again.

15. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

If we all felt like that, then nobody would be using Windows today :argh:

Sometimes you just gotta take a risk:) Things change sometimes.

Use Macrium Reflect, do a complete backup of your system, and then install Time Freeze:) Go on... you know you want to lol

KOR says it seems rather stable now.

16. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ TomAZ, TTF v. 1.7 added MBR Protection and this change has caused BSOD in XP systems. It was fixed in v. 1.8.
    You can install v. 1.8 in your XP OS without issues. :thumb:

P.S.: It seems that v.1.8.1 adds a warning when user uninstalls TTF (can't confirm yet): to not uninstall TTF with third part uninstallers - this action could to produce BSOD. In fact uninstallers leftovers'based are unable to handle with app. that need to reboot to uninstall.

Examples: Revo Free - Revo Pro - IObit - Geek Uninstall - Comodo Programs Manager - Smarty Uninstaller - Your Uninstaller - etc..

From Toolwiz Support:
    We have got several reports said they got BSOD after used the third party uninstaller. Please only use our uninstaller to uninstall the Toolwiz Timefreeze. As TTF is made up of several Windows kernel drivers. One is file system filter, another is disk system filter. So if you use these kind third party uninstallers, they will only remove the drivers, but they never know how to remove the registry entry. So your system will crash at once if it can not load the drivers when it is booting.

Take care... ;)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  17. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Does anyone know if the MBR protection is active only during virtual mode or is it active all the time?

I've been using it on Vista 64 for some time now without issue.

18. ichito

ichito Registered Member

An interessting info from TTF forum
    http://forums.toolwiz.com/topic/time-freeze-feature-request-to-do-more-than-just-c-drive

19. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

I'm still waiting for the option to use RAM for the virtual system. I suggested this to James back in December, he liked the idea, talked about it with the team and then replied to me that they will be working on such a feature and that it would be probably be included by March...

We now have version 1.8 and no RAM option yet. Such an option would save SSD users from a lot of hits. As a temporary solution I tried to use NTFS junctions in order to move the Toolwiz folder containing the virtualization buffer file from C: to a RAMdisk. It works this way and it is fast, but upon reboot I get a BSOD...

20. ichito

ichito Registered Member

The latest version of TTF doesn't protect MBR...TDSS can kill system that is protected by TTF - Rootkit.Win32.TDSS.tdl4 succesfully infects system in the test below
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz9Z8dcx-nw&feature=youtu.be-

21. aladdin

Thanks for the confirmation that it doesn't protect the MBR as claimed. I started having too many problems with WIN7 x64 and SSD, so I uninstalled Timewiz Time Freeze.

Now, I am testing Farconis Deep Freeze, it seems very stable so far.

Have you used it before?

What is your opinion about it?

Wish Shadow Defender worked with SSD. Thus, trying to find something that works with SSD.

Best regards,

KOR!

22. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Returnil System safe Free works fine with SSD's :thumb:

23. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

Hi KOR, for me Shadow Defender works well with SSDs, I have tested it so far on four different systems without any problems. Have a look at my post here for details:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2055545#post2055545

24. aladdin

Thank you, but Returnil System Safe comes with too much baggage, like Antivirus and so forth.

Best regards,

KOR!

P.S. I haven't used Returnil System Safe, can you give me some more information on this?

25. aladdin

I see that you also use Rollback Rx with Shadow Defender. Am I correct?

And, do you use Rollback Rx and Shadow Defender on all four systems with SSD?

Best regards,

KOR!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.