Toolwiz Time Freeze

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by sg09, Dec 1, 2011.

1. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

I use Rollback and SD together on my two systems, plus on my wife's system with no probs. My brother uses SD only, no Rollback.

I find Rollback invaluable for software testing. For example, I recently upgraded one of my Win7 snapshots to the Win8 consumer preview, then saved it as a snapshot. All my programs and settings were preserved (including the taskbar) and I can now switch between Win7 and Win8 at will with a simple reboot, no need for dual booting! So far SD works well with Win8 as well.

BTW King, what kind of problems have you had when using SD on an SSD?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  2. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Np :) Aye, Returnil has quite a baggage :D I usually just disable the AV, makes it bit lighter. It has been awhile since ive used it so im not 100% sure about it's memory consumption but it think it was 64mb Memory it used.

AV uses F-Prot engine + their own cloud engine and behavioural one, updates regularly even when your in Virtual Mode.
    Has Anti-Exe embedded into it, i havent seen in action but it's there. It has 3 settings. ''Allow all programs to run normally, trust only system services or trust only files from disk''.

You can also make your own seperate virtual drive, where you can move stuff etc. It has embedded functionality to use Shadow Copy Service when u use the system restore. You can also manage real disk files when in Virtual mode and registry (registry editing is bit on limited side).

It also has password protection, which will gray out all option, settings etc :)

You can start Virtual mode without restart like in SD, when you exit it will reboot or you can just reboot and it will sow warning that if youll reboot all changes will be discarded, Ok or Cancel after that it reboots. You can also modify the returnil toolbar colour to reflect if you AV is off or virtual mode
    on, etc :)

Sry for the spelling mistakes :D il bet someone can fill the gaps that i missed :)

3. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

The way Rollback Rx works on SSDs, it put them on RIAD for the TRIM to work properly. Thus, Shadow Defender working properly on your two machines and your wife's machine too.

If the TRIM doesn't work properly on the latest machines with the latest SSDs, then it creates nightmares and the system renders un-bootable.

It happened to me with Rollback Rx and two month's of nightmare with my three computers with SSDs.

I tested Rollback Rx on my three computers for one month. Everything worked fine and dandy. Then I bought Rollback Rx and the nightmare started. With the purchased Rollback Rx, there was download link for the purchased Rollback Rx. I downloaded it and my nightmares started. After two months of nightmare and working with support and other members at Rollback Rx forum, I found out the link was for old Rollback Rx, which didn't work with SSDs. They never apologized.

As far as your brother machine is concerned, it might be an old machine, with maybe IDE controller and/or TRIM is not required for the SSD.

Best regards,

KOR!

4. aladdin

Many thanks for your detail explanation. Yes, it is how I found it too, when I last used it a year ago. Maybe, I should give it try.

So far, I am very happy with Deep Freeze.

Best regards,

KOR!

5. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Np :thumb:
    I was thinking to install it onto my other comp :)

There is new beta going on with Returnil, should be some nice addons.

Glad your happy with DF :)

I've been thinking to run SD with my primary comp, has SSD. The Trimm works perfectly ive tested it. It's just the SD that worries me :D

6. aladdin

See below. On this machine, I have Intel 520 series SSD and testing Deep Freeze. The Intel Toolbox says that, "Error: RAID array detected. If RAID array not present, reboot and try again."

The same thing shows with Rollback Rx installed.

Best regards,

KOR!

Attached Files:

7. aladdin

Don't use Shadow Defender with SSD and TRIM. After couple of days, it will render your machine un-bootable.

Best regards,

KOR!

8. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Ow okay :doubt:

9. CyberMan969

Thanks for the explanation KOR. Actually my wife's machine is the oldest one (Athlon on DFI mobo with Vertex 2 SSD). My bro's is Z68 Gigabyte mobo with Crucial M4 SSD, and my two desktops are X79/Vertrex 3 Max IOPS SSD and Z68/Patriot Wildfire SSD.

I think it sucks that they never apologized for all the troubles they have caused you. And sod the apology, at the very least they should have given you a free license to make up for their screw-up...

10. aladdin

Yes, the free license would have been nice. Had so many uninstalls and installs that the licenses quit working and had to make them several calls to reset the licenses. You know the story with their activation and so forth.

Best regards,

KOR!

11. aladdin

I have added a forth machine now with Crucial M4 128GB SSD. Does your brother uses IDE or ACHI controller?

Best regards,

KOR!

12. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Anyone tried Returnil's Virtual System Pro? It doesn't appear to be quite a bloated as their "Safe" system.

13. CyberMan969

I set up his system so I know for a fact that it was set as ACHI in the bios before I intalled Windows (the same on my own two systems). My wife's older mobo is on IDE mode. Maybe we're just lucky, thank god no probs so far.

I also have a Toshiba Qosmio G40 laptop, it has two hard disks, no SSD. I only use SD on the laptop, no Rollback as I didn't want to pay for a third license. I'm waiting for the latest Comodo Time Machine beta to become available, it will hopefully come out by the end of the summer. It is freeware and the code is being re-written from scratch with many new features added. I can't wait to try it on my lappy.

14. CyberMan969

I tried it recently on my laptop, it worked well and as you said it is less bloated. I don't need all the AV and antiexec functions that are bundled with Safe as I'm using better solutions for those functions. Still, I trust Shadow Defender much better, it offers superb protection when used in conjuction with Sandboxie, a good AV solution (I use Avast free), a decent HIPS firewall with antiexecution functions (I use Comodo Internet Security Premium free) and a dedicated key encryption app like KeyScrambler.

15. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

With Rollback RX, can your rollback snapshots be written to an external drive, or do that have to be on your system drive?

16. aladdin

Thanks for the confirmation. Maybe, Crucial M4 doesn't use TRIM.

I have two laptops and two desktops with SSDs. These four machines are my personal machines, the families have their own.

One laptop is ASUS G73Sw Core i7 and it is a power horse. It came with 2x500GB hard disks. I replace one of the 500GB with OCZ Vertex 3, 120GB. The other laptop is ASUS N61Jq-A1 Core i7. It came with one 500GB. I removed the DVD and placed the 500GB in its place and installed Intel 520 series, 120GB.

The two desktops have Crucial M4, 128GB and OCZ Solid 3, 120GB.

I have now Sumsung and Kingston, both 64BG collecting dust.

Best regards,

KOR!

17. aladdin

You can think of Rollback Rx snapshots as putting fences on the drive it is protecting. It only protects one drive, but as many partitions on that drive. For this reason, Rollback Rx takes seconds to take a snapshot, and rollback to a snapshot takes only a reboot.

Best regards,

KOR!

18. CyberMan969

With all true snapshot apps (like Comodo Time Machine, Rollback RX etc) there is no actual transfer of backup data, all snapshots are stored on the protected disk's free space. That's why taking/restoring a snapshot is so fast (mere seconds as opposed to a traditional backup where data is moved around). I've had the chance to talk with Melih (the Comodo CEO) a while back and asked him if it was possible for the new Comodo Time Machine to have the snapshots backed up on another disk or even on DVD or BD-R/RW media, and then imported back to the protected drive. This would be very useful in case the disk dies, or if CTM needs to be updated to a newer version in the future. Nothing is certain yet.

19. aladdin

20. CyberMan969

Like all modern SSDs the M4 definitely supports TRIM as long as they're on Vista/Win7/Win8.

Just e-bay the Sammie and the Kingston. I get rid most of my older hardware that way. I'm sure there will be many people worldwide that could make good use of your old hardware, and any money coming in would be a good thing King! :thumb:

21. CyberMan969

My bro has Win7, the same as in all of my systems (I'm also using a Win8 snapshot on my X79 system).

Some people like to manually invoke the TRIM command, hence the use of a toolbox. You can do this using a tool like SSD Tweaker Pro. I find manual use of TRIM unnecessary, TRIM will run on its own anyway for as long as the OS supports it.

For newer SSDs, if you leave your computer idle for a few hours carbage collection will kick in anyway and do it's magic. I often leave my X79 system idle overnight at the UEFI screen, this ensures that the drive's garbage collection will optimize things without being interrupted by background Windows processes.

22. aladdin

I am still trying to figure out, why Shadow Defender works on Crucial M4, rather than luck. However, XP doesn't uses the TRIM function.

Many thanks,

KOR!

23. aladdin

LOL! Love it!

24. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I'm sure this can vary a lot from computer to computer, but what is the approximate size of one of these snapshots on an XP system?

25. aladdin

You are thinking of regular snapshot programs. Think about it as Past, Present and Future and putting fencing around the data.

For example, you just installed Rollback Rx, it puts a fence around your data and calls it a baseline snapshot. You have already Wmware v8.0.2 installed in this baseline snapshot.

Now you install Wmware 8.0.3 and take a snapshot and call it "A". A new fence is put around the data. Now you got both versions of Wmware in your system.

Few days later you install Firefox and delete Wmware 8.0.3 and take snapshot and call it "B". A new fence is put around the data.

You still have Wmware 8.0.2 and 8.0.3 in your system and the space on your hard disk is getting bigger and bigger.

Few days later you install Microsoft Office Professional 2010 and and take snapshot and call it "C". A new fence is put around the data.

Now you have Wmware 8.0.2, Wmware 8.0.3, Firefox and Office 2010 in your system. And, you have eaten up lots of space in your system, but none of the Wmware show up as you have deleted it.

Now you decide to rollback to snapshot "B". Wmware v8.0.3 now shows, but not Firefox and Office 2010. They are still there sitting in your Future "B" and "C" snapshots. Your Present snapshot is "A" and your Past snapshot is "baseline".

Best regards,

KOR!

P.S. It eats up lots of hard disk space, unless you keep on deleting these snapshots and creating a new baseline. Then it beats the purpose.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.