Internet Explorer 9 Released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, so it seems that an allow overrides a block. So, all it takes is for user blindly trust certain lists, and then they end up allowing everything. Insane or brilliant? :rolleyes:

Indeed, that also one of the problems of IE9. There's no easy way to know if an instance of it was started by an elevated program.

It's possible to enable the Status Bar, where in IE8 is where such appears, but besides showing the URL loading, no other information such as Protected Mode or blocked cookies will appear. :thumbd:

At least, IE team could have made IE9 alert the user for that, in one of those yellow warnings that appear *. Why not? :thumbd:

-edit-

* The same for blocked cookies, obviously.

2. m00nbl00d

Correct, and we know what happens with 99% of users, right? They end up using that session, if they want to use IE at that moment, rather than closing it and opening a new instance under Protected Mode.

At least, with IE8, if they're aware of what Protected Mode is, they could/can keep an eye on it.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I highly doubt the average user even knows what protected mode is, so I'd disagree with that one :D

The question is does IE9 inherit elevation from what opened it or does it open as it's own process now instead of becoming a child of another?

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I'll agree that most people wouldn't know the difference but as an Admin over a dozen other users I have to keep an eye on such things. When I install something for a user and it prompts for an admin logon I have to make sure that when I walk away from the machine I left nothing running that inherited my logon.

IE 9 does inherit the permission of a parent process. Verified with Sysinternals Process Explorer.

5. m00nbl00d

That's right. Any object will inherit the permissions of the object that started it. Unless the object to be started (in this case IE) has an explicit low integrity level applied to it (or an explicit lower integrity level than the parent process).

That's how I run Chromium. Elevated objects cannot execute it. Because it's set with a low integrity level, chrome.exe cannot even be executed by the elevated object.

6. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

I discovered that the above was caused my Comodo Firewall. As soon as I uninstalled Comodo, problem solved...

7. m00nbl00d

Most likely. Two days ago a relative was having a problem accessing Gmail with Mozilla Thunderbird; everything else was OK. After some research, I was finally able to make it work; its settings were all messed up.

I opened CCleaner to clean junk files, and noticed that it was recognizing Mozilla Thunderbird as Mozilla Firefox, and pretty much everything selected for deletion. I didn't bother before, because for what I could tell it had never detected Mozilla Thunderbird; at least, not that I can remember, anyway.

Bottom line is, it ruined Thunderbird's configuration. Now, will only be set to clean cookies and temp files, and nothing else, and only for IE. I hope it won't fail at it. :D

8. elapsed

I don't think they've fixed CCleaner yet, it used to erase favicons for all your favourites, and completely remove any ordering you had on your favourites bar. Haven't used it on IE since beta.

9. elapsed

Internet Explorer 9 Network Performance Improvements

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/...etwork-performance-improvements.aspx#comments

HTML5 Video Update—WebM for IE9

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2011/03/16/html5-video-update-webm-for-ie9.aspx

See also, WebM test: http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/graphics/videoformatsupport/default.html

10. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

This is a question for anyone who's download IE9 from Windows Update. The download at the Windows IE page is approximately 17 MB. Is it smaller through Windows Update or about the same?

Thanks.

11. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From IE 9’s anti-tracking feature ‘flawed', study finds:

12. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

I believe in developer tools HTML tab you clicked on body.

Forcing into IE9 mode made fonts look weird just like Fx4 with gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled set to true.

13. m00nbl00d

One nice feature that is now part of IE9, is that now it's possible to have a folder of our own choice where to store downloaded files, by default!

14. elapsed

Yes, that's DirectWrite, and it looks far better than the old font to me. Most browsers will start using it from now on.

If you have issues with DirectWrite on your monitor, there is a configuration tool floating around somewhere.

Didn't even know it was on Windows Update, but I guess that sounds about right.

15. Sadeghi85

Yes, also found it here:

-http://techfission.posterous.com/internet-explorer-9-beta-released-a-first-loo

Do you mean Windows own "ClearType Text Tuner" tool?

16. elapsed

Yeah that's the tool I meant. Also that link is exactly what I was trying to describe earlier. It's a shame, but luckily, most mainstream sites either remove the UA-Compat metatag and properly use the html doctype, or set the UA-Compat type as "edge", allowing whichever version of IE that browses the page to use it's own rendering mode.

17. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Oh I hope not. Then I can just stick with IE 8! :)

18. elapsed

https://twitter.com/IE/status/48107081634549760

19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Check this out:
    Why You Should Install Internet Explorer 9
    and in case you won't, here's a quote:

20. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Lol, I rolled back for the fourth time and reinstalled IE9. This time around, I didn't use any type of temp cleaner. I didn't reset InPrivateFiltering to default or clear it's filtering list. I uninstalled Adobe flash. After that, I reinstalled IE9, reinstalled Adobe flash and for ten hours now, it's all worked perfect.

21. m00nbl00d

One solution is to apply an explicit medium integrity level to IE. I wouldn't apply a low integrity level to it, because it will break certain functionality and, most likely, cripple the way certain applications may interact with it.

By applying an explicit medium integrity level to IE, you'll be preventing objects with a higher integrity level (such as installers/uninstallers running with administrator privileges) from starting it.
    Doing this, you'd also be preventing IE from malfunctioning. Everything would work as before, except it wouldn't be possible to elevate it.

22. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Hi moon, if one runs AppGuard, is it still needed to set integrity level for IE?

One more issue that keeps cropping up after IE9 install. Email notify for the threads here at Wilders do not go to the right posting. It always drops me back a page or so.

23. m00nbl00d

Does AppGuard prevent an installer/uninstaller from elevating IE?

Actually, some time ago, I expressed my disapproval towards installers/uninstallers that open IE after installing/uninstalling/upgrading; specially security software (There's some irony here.). My disapproval has to do with that fact that websites do get compromised, without exception. Security vendors have seen their websites compromised, and some more than once. It's simply reckless.

Regarding IE, considering that if applying an explicit low integrity level, will for certain cripple certain functionality, applying a medium integrity level would make it work without any malfunctioning behavior, and also prevent installers/uninstallers from elevating it.

But, and this is something that I haven't tested myself, and therefore I don't know how it woud work - with IE, because Protected Mode in enforced by UAC - is if applying an explicit medium integrity level, Protected Mode (a.k.a low integrity level) would no longer be applied. It's what makes sense, though.

So, unless you've got other measures in place to take care of the fact that IE would run with a medium integrity level, I'd leave IE alone.

24. Sadeghi85

It was my monitor settings, took a while to figure out, also configured ClearType, it looks a lot better now.

25. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.