Internet Explorer 9 Released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Ermmm ... oh OK. I just hope it doesn't frag my sidebar on the laptop this time! :mad:

2. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Where is Protected Mode in IE 9?
    I don't see it listed and it isn't showing in the task bar.
    Windows 7 Pro x64.

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

IE9 does not show that information any more. To be sure you're running IE9 with Protected Mode enabled you'd need something like Process Explorer (change its columns settings to show integrity levels).

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It's pointless information to the average user, Chrome doesn't show it either. There is no reason it should ever not be in Protected Mode, short of the "program opening a browser" discussion earier.

5. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

OK. Thanks for the help.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

For some reason after installing it, it fails to open (I have said previously that IE9 is my second browser, so i rarely open it)
    But yesterday i decided to use it to check my mails but i couldn't open it :thumbd: o_O

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  7. Daveski17

Have you tried uninstalling & re-installing Noob? I hope this IE release isn't going to be problematical. I'm just glad I very rarely use it.

8. m00nbl00d

What were you expecting? It felt rejected. :rolleyes:

Take a peek at Event Viewer and see what errors may have appeared at the moment you opened IE9.

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Bah, screw it, i'll do a restore and re install it again :D

10. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

lol moon good one. IE9 didn't work because it was jealous of Chrome :D

11. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

This jealousy thing is no joke. I help a friend whose desktop computer was the very model of a problem free computer until she bought a new laptop and booted it up in the presence of the desktop. Ever since that moment the desktop is a veritable cornucopia of neuroses. No network or syncing involved, apparently just sheer raw jealousy.

Off topic, I know. Sorry

12. m00nbl00d

Can anyone manage Adobe Flash Player settings with IE9? The flash content doesn't load, at all. Does it happen with you too? (I updated to newest version 10.2.153.1)

I actually first tried with Chromium, and it loads, but then it won't let me modify any settings. And, I may be wrong, but I think settings I had defined before, are back to default values o_O

I then tried with IE9, but it happens what I explained above.

13. radial5

radial5 Registered Member

Hi m00nbl00d,

I had a similar issue in beta, I had to go to add remove programs uninstall Flash player, run CCleaner (not sure if it clears anything), downloaded the latest version and installed - I've had no major issues since.

It could also be that your Active-X filtering is enabled and is blocking flash content for the site your on, to the right of the address bar there may be a blue circle with a line through it, this indicates that Tracking Protection or Active-X protection is active for that site. If you click the blue circle and turn off Active-X filtering this may resolve your issue if my first suggestion didn't work.

radial.

14. m00nbl00d

I actually did that, but haven't tried again with IE9.

But, the same still happens with Chromium - Adobe Flash Player settings load fine, but I can't modify any? I wonder if it's a problem with Chromium.

No, I didn't have Active-X filtering enabled when I opened Flash Player settings page. Thanks for remembering me about it, though.

15. radial5

Hi Hugger,

If you go to Internet Options>select the Security tab - Protected mode will show as either ticked or not ticked at the bottom of the tab - however I'm not sure if this is a true indication that it is running in protected mode or not.

radial

16. radial5

Hi m00nbl00d,

do you have any extensions enabled in chromium such as flash block - do you have the same problems with your extensions disabled?

I'm not really familiar with chromium so may not be of help :doubt:

May be worth starting a new thread :)

radial

17. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I have found that it's not an indication that it's running in protected mode. I had that option ticked in IE8 which carried over with IE9 install. It didn't become official until I enabled it through one of IE9's security popup dialogs

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  18. m00nbl00d

No, no extensions blocking flash/anything in Chromium. I only have click to play enabled, so that flash content only plays when I want, and what I want. I thought it could be some problem with that, but I tried it with it disabled, but the same occured.

Anyway, I do not wish to go off-topic.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

19. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  20. Daveski17

I don't really want IE 9 anyway.

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Me either. I've used it off an on for a bit..and it just to me feels like the same old browser to me. It's got acceleration, yes, but so do the others, and hardware acceleration is having its own problems. It has tabs on top, so do the others. It has better security...well hell, they didn't have much of a choice did they, after the years of verbal beating they took for it? It took some buttons away..so did the rest. It lacks decent extensions, even Opera has them now. It sped up javascript..well, that seems to be the thing browser devs focus most of their time on. In my opinion, IE has gone from a "why bother?" browser to a "me too" browser.

22. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Well that's progress at least.:D

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I can't argue with that :D

24. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

The great 'expectations' and 'excitement' about IE9 blew out quickly.

As far as the usual MS "supporters", they are whistling...away...:D

-IE9 release via Windows Update. Exactly WHEN?

25. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I didn't quote all but think you made a decent appraisal of it. About the acceleration, for me it did seem faster to start with but by the time I got everything enabled and set back up, it now doesn't seem noticeably faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.