Hitman Pro Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yashau, Mar 20, 2009.

1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Re: Anyone tried out Hitman Pro?

Before I reach the stage of burying Hitman with full military honours, could anybody please answer this :-

During the scan, Hitman tried to upload several files, presumably to check them, but it said "Upload failed". The final result was clean.

What does "Upload failed" mean in respect of the final result.
    Anything with "failed" against it is bad news and does not sing a happy tune to me.

John Bull

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It means HMP faild to upload the file to the Hitman Pro scan cloud/servers.

3. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

What does that mean ? Do I have to do something ? Otherwise it seems like only half a job.

John B

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

5. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

You are not alone. See screen shot.

I have 4 snapshots, in which I have updated to the latest 3.5.6.107 build.

But, the last update to last of the these snapshots caused some problems...something to do with DW, I think. See http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107507&view=findpost&p=260520

P.S. I am still running DW 3.04

Attached Files:

6. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Issue is addressed. Should be no problem now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

7. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Took the plunge with PayPal and got the HMP/Prevx bundle...too good to miss.
    Just wondering how to add the Prevx license on to what I've got (about 8 months). Maybe I'll need Prevx to reset license to add on this bit, or should I wait till Prevx license expires to then activate new key? Thanks.

8. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

Few quesitons:

So any future plans to re-add Eset? What's the timetable looking for version 3.6? Hows the corporate version coming along?

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i can assure u the chances of that are are nearly 0

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hmmm... I don't even know why ESET was removed in the first place
    Does anyone know?.....

11. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well its well known that no product is perfect and there are known POC's that can currently bypass sandboxie, doesnt take long for those methods to be seen in the wild at some point.

and hitman is just good to have around to check every so often, its only like a 1 minute scan so its hardly an inconvenience. from what i can see u have no use for Hitman Pro and have no intention to use it ever again. you seem to be commenting more for the sake of showing ur "clever wit" and not actual conversation on the usefulness of the product. ur criticism isnt constructive in the least, merely garble to tell people other products you think are better even tho they are completely un-related to the product this thread is about.

uve stated ur thoughts several times now, and i dont see any constructive criticism in ur posts so i see no need to further reiterate ur opinion over and over again

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  12. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

I agree with the above post.
    Not to mention that each and every file recovered from the sandbox must be given a clean bill of health one way or another.
    I for one see the value in the 6 on-demand opinions over the 1 or 2 provided by a resident AV.
    ..and if one chose to bother with uploading everything recovered from the sandbox, one by one, to VT or whatever -- that's their (questionable) choice.

Also all of these comparisons to other on-demand scanners really need to stop.
    These others are what, single engine AVs?
    With the remaining ones being more AS/AM than AV, and still boasting only one engine.

13. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Running Hitman Pro as a free scanner gives me much less headache than trying to get an anti-virus to act on-demand.

It also has the added benefit of not needing to be installed (and even then it only takes a second or two), takes up less HDD space, doesn't require definition updates, has smaller program updates, takes less than a minute to scan on my machine, detects certain rootkits that very few do, has one of the best support around, etc.

I don't like products such as Comodo Internet Security and they don't suit the average computer user.

Sandboxie has been bypassed (nothing currently known in the wild) and it can't protect against what you download (including innocent files replaced with malicious ones by hackers), run outside Sandboxie and is missed by your chosen anti-virus.

14. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Absolutely spot on there and HMP is great at doing so.:thumb:

To use the argument that Hitman Pro is useless because SBIE is so good is like saying speedboats are unnecessary because Ferrari makes great cars.

15. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

You could argue the same about realtime AV's free vs paid. But Hitman Pro is one of the few apps which can detect and remove an active TDL3 infection and you can use it for free to scan on a regular basis and should it find anything you can activate the trial to remove it. When the trial has expired you can still use it in free mode and should you find an infection again you can delete it yourself or try free scanners(and even if they can't find it you could send the sample to add to detection.) Anyway, users on Wilders are generally very security conscious so there is only a small chance they get infected in the first place(then you activate the trial), getting infected twice is really unlikely and even then there will probably be a lots of time between in which you might have gotten a new computer or reinstalled your OS and then you can active the trial again.

16. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Hitman PRO is not detecting Panda Cloud PRO as a installed AV on one machine.

17. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Hitman Pro is reading the AV from the Security Center.

18. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Very odd, Security Center is not giving me alerts saying it is not running. I will have to look into that o_O

19. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Thank you for Hitman Pro, I wouldn't want to be without it in my layered defense. It has proved itself over and over.:thumb:

20. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You said just enough, justenough. I agree completely. ;)

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is more than enough:D also with ComboFix too:)

23. erikloman

erikloman Developer

LNK Exploit Protection integrated in Hitman Pro

For those who have not yet noticed, Windows currently suffers from a major Windows Shell vulnerability which affects all Windows versions (including 64-bit).

Already 5 different malware families (Stuxnet, Chymine, Vobfus, Sality and Zeus) are exploiting the vulnerability.

The vulnerability is in the handling of loading icons from Windows shortcuts. Special shortcuts specify that their icon is located in a separate DLL. The vulnerability in the Windows Shell (shell32.dll) loads this DLL with EXECUTE rights, resulting in (potentially malicious) code being run when the icon of the shortcut is evaluated.

The SurfRight LNK Exploit Protection Shell Extension prevents these DLLs from being loaded with EXECUTE permissions. Instead it loads the DLL with only READ permissions. This results in that the icon is still loaded but the exploit is not triggered.

Solutions from other vendors either work on non-local disks only or block some legitimate shortcuts (like shortcuts to VPN connections). Our solution doesn't suffer from those drawbacks.

In 2006, Hitman Pro version 2 offered WMF-exploit protection before Microsoft released its patch.

Again, due to the scale of the vulnerability and until Microsoft offers a proper patch, Hitman Pro 3.5.6 build 108 (or newer) offers the user to install the LNK Exploit Protection Shell Extension.

We have made a video to illustrate the protection:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gbJ1m2ac1E

A beta (32-bit only) can be downloaded from here: http://dl.surfright.nl/HitmanPro35beta.exe

Please let me know what you think and if you find any issues.

24. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Re: LNK Exploit Protection integrated in Hitman Pro

Do I have to execute the shortcut to get my computer infected or is it enough just browsing in the directory the malware's in? I have a few samples on my computer collected of this type, and now you made me scared. :) My Hitman Pro does not find any infection though (I keep my malware samples in a .rar file with password). I assume I am safe?

25. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Re: LNK Exploit Protection integrated in Hitman Pro

When you have a special crafted LNK then malware will execute just by browsing to the directory containing the LNK. Also these LNK files on a USB drive will execute malware when inserting the USB drive, even when Autorun is disabled. And also LNK files hosted on a remote WebDav website can infect your computer (imagine when you are tricked to go to a special website). Microsoft is aware of this vulnerability since June 16th and has not issued a patch yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.