Any FREE FW that has OA paid version protection?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tonyseeking, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Does CIS have Banking mode, RunSafer, CPU limiter for CPU demanding programs and a single-click LAN manager ? (This is what I do not imagine my life w/o). That is to say RunSafer makes most of the malwares and tests to fail even without HIPS, to say nothing when it is powered by HIPS. If the old OA version 190 was tested with all the tests RunSafer it would score 100% half a year ago.

2. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

CIS doesn't protect you from Buffer Overflow Attacks. CIS protects you from some VERY LIMITED and OUTDATED NUMBER of shellcode based exploits (still DEP does it much better because DEP doesn't need API call from a shell code to stop execution).

What CIS BO protection actually does is it hooks in a usermode a lot of API and checks where a call originated from and if it is originated from a heap or stack it prompts you about "attack", which produces a lot of FPs when a code is packed with some code packers and crypters. If exploit moves its code from heap or stack to a "legitimate" (mapped for execution) memory without calling any API, CIS does protect from nothing. If it happens that due to BO a code is rewritten in a mapped for execution memory CIS is also helpless.

So, guys, to be fair, you need to mention all this stuff when talking about BO protection in CIS (not to fool the people who believe this protection is really "ultimate" protection from BO).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  3. tonyseeking

tonyseeking Former Poster

Hi Josh, to be honest I have felt very overwhelmed since installing COMODO.

Everything I run is asking me 10-20 times for permissions. And sometimes I say trust this application, but it still keeps popping up for permissions.

Is there a way to tell COMODO ONCE to trust an application and not be asked again?

You mean I can uninstall this version and install a BETA version that will only ask me ONCE about a program? Because I really want to use COMODO but I am going crazy with all the popups.

Thanks

4. tonyseeking

I have NO IDEA what you are talking about.. but are you suggesting COMODO Firewall is uselesso_O? :blink:

5. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Nope, it was about BO protection which has nothing to do with firewall :)

Comodo Firewall is not bad firewall, actually, it just slows down UDP a bit (according to perfudp test) :)

Clean system

PerfUDP: 20.406, 20.468, 20.431

Comodo, latest version, default setup, clean PC, no AV

PerfUDP: 26.046, 26.296, 26.093

6. tonyseeking

What is UDP ?

7. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I dunno. I think it depends on your expectations. Some people look for "the lightest firewall", for example. I'd not recommend Comodo to those people because in no way it is "the lightest". Some others do not care. Impact is it slows down UDP performance in some degree, but is it critical or acceptable for you I cannot know. If you do not feel this impact then I think it doesn't impact you as a user.

8. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

UDP is a connectionless network protocol of the same level TCP is. It is used by Netbios, P2P, Skype etc.

UDP, TCP, ICMP and a lot of less known protocols are implemented over IP network protocol, which is one level lower in the OSI hierarchy. Next question I think will be "what is OSI hierarchy" ? :)

9. 3xist

3xist Guest

Yes I can send you v3.9 beta 2 if you wish. :)

As for Alex_S... Dunno... He seems to ramble on doesn't he? API calls from stack/heap. if you are making these api calls from stack or heap you are being a naughty boy! which is a very nice and effective way of killing BO. That's it and that's what CIS does.

Cheers,
    Josh

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
  10. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

You ask something that is impossible to answer. It is possible to measure the slowdown firewall causes to your system, but this is you and only you who can run the tests on YOUR system. The simpliest test is to run some network related task with firewall installed and then to do the same without firewall installed. It is very recommended that the tasks were the same. For example, if you run PerfUDP it does completely the same every time it is started. On a clean system on my test computer it performs its task for ~20 sec. With Comodo installed it performs the same task for ~26 sec. The task is very simple -- it sends and receives UDP traffic.

11. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Run Safer is included in OA Free too.

12. tonyseeking

Is that an official COMODO product? And how can I know it's clean? After all I do not know you. No offence, hope you understand.

And how do I get it?

13. tonyseeking

What exactly is RS? And how does it work?

14. 3xist

3xist Guest

You get it at the forums in the beta corner. You gotta register though. Yes I understand, And yes there are bugs but positive feedback has come out of the 2nd beta.

Cheers,
    Josh

15. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

What else did you have on there with OA? Did the slow boot persist after the first learning mode boot ?

16. Leolas

Leolas Registered Member

I had a similar problem with previous release and betas of OA, OA 3.5.0.9 doesn't slow down my boot anymore.

Unfortunately, OA 3.5 free is not avaiable yet, but it'll be avaiable soon ;)

RunSecure makes programs run with Windows' Limited User privileges.
    You can log on windows as administrator and set browsers,messenger&so on as RunSafer with OA, so that they'll run with privileges of a limited user and they'll be protected by many malware "attacks" (there's a lot of malware that can't infect Limited Users).

you can read more about it on tallemu's website: http://tallemu.com/run_as_limited_user.html

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Just curious why you think it is a right to get free stuff in cyberworld. Why is it your right to have a developer spend time, effort and money, to develop, products and then just give them away.

Since you mentioned Comodo, do you think for a minute, if Comodo's other business sources of revenue dried up, that Comodo would continue to be developed and given away. I bet not.

Also I don't see using a free product as supporting the vendor. Buying a product is supporting a vendor. Also beta testing and providing feedback is supporting a vendor.

Pete

18. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Praise Comodo, Why pay when you can get it free? [big wall screen is displaying "all chear and yell "Co - mo - do - Me - Lih, Aha who ha Co mo do, Co mo da, we are all little - Egg - men, Aho who haa"

Cowd yells: Give Me a Lih (not a lie) we are so comodo, comoda with our free CIS ---- (please keep tone from C-bes to CIS for dramatic effect)

19. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yep the trial of OA Paid :argh:

20. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Brilliant Kees, just brilliant :thumb: :thumb:

21. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

[OT] Some people are of the opinion that security should not be a privilege. Those people might just want to check their email or play free Flash-based Internet games, not go looking for trouble. Especially when there are users out there running Linux who laugh Windows users (who pay for both the operating system and security products) in the face. I'm not saying that devs don't deserve compensation for their hard work; however shouldn't everyone deserve at least some protection?

Now, back on topic.
    I just installed OA Free v3.5.0.9 last night, and I noticed a slow boot after the first restart. This was understandable, as OA needed to "learn" my computer configuration. Indeed, after that, everything went smoothly. As a matter of fact, I just booted my computer up about an hour ago (as of typing this), and I had no slowdowns. I think that it might be an issue on your end, perhaps a conflict with other software or a computer performance issue.

This may be a bit of a long shot, but I notice you're using Windows XP -- lucky you! For XP, there is a neat little program developed by Microsoft called BootVis. You can find more information (including download links) from MajorGeeks and usage information here. This program is one of the reasons I love XP and hate Vista -- it's not Vista-compatible :'( .

22. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

You know, there is nothing really free in the world. May be buying free product you trade your soul, who knows ? (semi-kidding) There should be some price, and which disturbs me most is when this price is hidden. Temptation .. oh .. how hard it is to resist :)

23. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Just a simple question. Can you post me a link to something you give away for free ? I think if you promote free coding you should be the first who does it ? And why only coding should be free ? Let everything be free. But then most people will just stop doing anything and those who still do something will ask: "Hell, why should I work and they should just consume ?" At this point there are only two options.

1.) those who still work start trade their work (which results in what we have now)
    2.) those who still work stop do anything for consumers and start to do it for themselves and for others who still work only (which results in most of the humanity death).

24. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

I'm not sure what you mean here, but I think that you're referring to my comment about Linux vs. Windows. In any case, I realize now that it was a poor analogy/example of my point. My main point was this: people should not have to pay for the most basic security. I'm certainly not the only one who thinks this, either: emsisoft also writes that "Security must not be a privilege.". Otherwise, why would many of these companies offer basic protection for free? The keyword is basic. There's an old saying that beggars can't be choosers. I accept that the free versions are going to be stripped down.

For example, let me relate this back to the original topic of this thread. The question was if there was a free product that could do what OA paid did (like Online Banking Mode). I have never heard of a free product that offered such a service, so in this case I would reply as such. If the OP wanted the additional service, he could then buy OA. Otherwise, he would have to settle for less. And what is wrong with that?

I think I have an idea of what you are getting at, alex_s, but let me say again that in hindsight, the Linux & Windows example was a poor argument on my part. If that is what you are referring to in your response, then I won't try to defend my statement; it was not well thought-out. However, I would like to respond to one thing:

We both know that this will never happen; everything will not be free. However, what I said was that we shouldn't be forced to pay just for rudimentary protection against computer viruses. Perhaps a real-life example would help: do the police charge money when they come to your defense? If you were being attacked/mugged and there was an officer who could protect you, would you like it if he walked up to you (as you were being mugged) and said "Sorry, that will be $15 if you want me to help you."? Sure, he won't send in helicopters and the entire police squad, but he would be able to provide basic protection at no cost. And that's what this is about.

25. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I would not use Comodo. The last 2 times I tried using it I could not uninstall using the uninstaller. It is difficult to configure. Yes it will do all the things you want . It is free but there is really not any service for this product. Online Armor is excellent either as the paid version which is probably worth paying for or the free version. Mike Nash actually frequents these forums & seems genuinely to care about seeing that his products perform properly. I really wish that the advocates of CIS would think about the average user when recommending Comodos firewall. The average user wants what you want but does not need the incredible learning curve that goes with Comodos firewall. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a free product. In truth the free version of Online Armor will probably work fine for you its really a great firewall. Oh by the way it actually does uninstall properly without the user having to edit the registry manually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.