Any FREE FW that has OA paid version protection?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tonyseeking, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Forced ? How can anybody be forced to buy ? I can understand one can be forced to pay for a food, but one can live without personal computer.

You have Windows native firewall and windows defender as a free addon to your system. But ... to continue with analogy if you need more protection your should pay:

for a doorlock
    for the grates for your windows
    for the alarm system
    to the private guards/bodyguards

etc etc etc

And even Police is payed by the taxes. Just not directly.

PS. May be you think this is Government that should pay security developers from the taxes ? But then the people who do not use computers will complain that they pay they do not know what for. This is not that simple question one may think from the first glance.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. tonyseeking

tonyseeking Former Poster

I already downloaded the 45MB COMODO, so I will try that again.

I removed it, but if I install it again, how do I stop all these popups on COMODO?

Should I choose Training Mode? Will that allow everything permission, record it, and then after 3 days it stops in training mode?

3. tonyseeking

I uninstalled COMODO last night and the uninstall went fine. What did yours do?

4. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

Exactly; basic protection at no additional cost to you. All you do is pay for (and support) Microsoft by buying Windows. So in our case, we have the OP who wants online banking security. OA Free does not do this; it only provides basic protection. If the OP wants this, he can support Tall Emu and buy OA for additional protection.

Exactly! The key word here is more protection (which I bolded in your quote). Let me be clear: I am not saying that you should get full protection for free, or that developers should make their top-notch security products free. My point is that the end-user should be entitled to at least basic security. And I'm not the only one; Avira, emsisoft, AVG Technologies, etc. All these companies provide free products for people to use. Sure, part of the reason is marketing strategy. But if that were the only reason, then these companies would probably stop developing/improving the products. You certainly wouldn't see Avira adding anti-spyware capabilities to their free version if they didn't want you to use it, now would you?

No, this is a different idea all together. I'm not saying that Person A should pay for Person B's security. If Person B likes Antivirus X, he could support the devs by buying the product for additional protection (e.g. rootkit protection). Person A might be perfectly happy with Antivirus X Free.

It seems that we are going to agree to disagree, so let me put it this way. Imagine you get infected by a virus just by visiting your friend's blog. You research, and install a reputable program that can detect and remove the virus. You do a scan, only to have the program tell you that you need to pay to remove the virus. My thinking is that I should not have to pay to get rid of this virus that I accidentally picked up. And your thinking is..?

I've used both [CIS -AV and OA], and I'm very impressed with OA. Upon the first reboot, it learned most of my programs, so I don't get bombarded with popups. However, I never got that many popups with CIS, either. I think it depends on what mode you keep D+ on. For example, Clean PC Mode should automatically trust everything on your PC.

In any case, as a practice I always keep my HIPS in learning mode (if any) for at least one week. That should be enough time for it to learn my basic computer habits.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  5. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

What do you do for a living ssj100? Should that be free too ?

6. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Just to be clear since this this thread has gone OT, Online Armor does not do that. We made a clear decision that the free version of Online Armor should be a decent product in it's own right, and not just a "marketing vehicle" for the paid version.

If I installed some sort of AV program to remove a virus, it should remove it.

Some sort of "Hey, I found a virus, but if you want it gone you have to pay" is quite deceptive IMO - unless of course, you installed it knowing that it was unable to clean viruses it fund.

7. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

What exactly is "Online Banking protection" in OA? You could probably set up a profile in Comodo that has comparable protection for your browser or you could use a portable version of firefox with especially tight rules.

As for "Run Safer", wouldn't running in a limited account work essentially the same?

8. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

OA has a banking mode which is designed to limit your computer to safe/legitimae sites while activated.

Run safer is almost the same as running in a limited account, except instead of it applying to the account it applies to the exe. For example, suppose you have some programs that do not function in limited account - with OA and runsafer you can run as an admin, drop the rights on the browsers and net facing apps - but keep admin access on the troublesome apps.

It's sort of like an automated version of DropMyRights but it's built in and automatic.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, old fashioned as i am, i guess i'll never be persuaded from the days of old when a firewall maker specialized only in strickly firewalls, not HIPS, rootkit hunters, etc. in addition.

Hips makers specialized in HIPS, AV's specialized in what else AV's, Behavioral Blockers what few their been specialized in BB's, not adding AV's to them and so forth.

And such goes just like a local member mentioned some 3 years ago when he read the handwriting on the wall, eventually he said that every security vendor's product that at the time only specialized in one single aspect of Windows security eventually would turn into SUITES!

And Wallah! They have arrived finally in force with the very few exceptions like DW, Sandboxie, and even Returnil is added an anti-exe in it's system. And all the problems and issues that come along with them have kept a steady pace i might add with these newly added extras.

But if some work to perfection, consider yourself fortunate and the company that designed it a relic & champion of sorts.

EASTER

10. Rain_Train

I wasn't hinting at OA in that statement. It was more of a generic example, and yes, a deceptive one (the example program, not OA).

As far as OA Free being a decent program, I agree with you there -- I'm running it right now! And I'm very glad that OA Free isn't just a marketing tool (and not just because it adds a little support to my argument ;) )

Still, I think I've hammered my opinion in enough.

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There is a current legit program that you can download and it is free to "Monitor" the system, if it finds a problem it will inform you, but to remove the problem then you must purchase a license. It does state clearly on the website. But not sure if Rain_Train is refering to that.

- Stem

12. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

If we're talking about the company I think we are, I think their model is really interesting and quite fair... it's an extended free trial, with a payment when it does some removal work for you , and that's all clearly stated up front :thumb: :thumb:

13. Rain_Train

Oops! I didn't realize I might've been referring to PrevX. I actually completely forgot about it when I was typing that last post :eek: . I wasn't specifically referring to PrevX, and Mike Nash is right; it is clearly stated that the free version won't remove. I was mainly recalling past experiences, especially with one program that promised to scan and fix my Internet connection (WinSockFix isn't for Vista -- another pain), but didn't mention that you had to pay to actually get it fixed. Guess it was just naivete on my part.

14. Xitrum

Xitrum Registered Member

BUT IT IS NOT WORKING ON SERVER 2003+
    IT only work on windows os workstation version, not server os.

15. Xitrum

Xitrum Registered Member

CIS does not work on server 2003+ os, it is only workstation os support.

16. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Why not ?

17. tonyseeking

When will the new version of COMODO come out which doesn't ask more than ONCE to allow a program permissions?

18. 3xist

3xist Guest

Approx 2 Weeks it will be released.

Check your PMs. :)

Cheers,
    Josh

19. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Maybe you could consider not using Comodo/OA and instead something which doesn't require so much user interaction?

20. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

You get what your pay for.

Online Armor is simple to use, so that's the key benefit of using it. You'll know what's going on.

Only saying what's already been said. But if everyone used the free version, then it would have stopped being developed long ago.

Open your wallet and let those moths fly out. You'll feel good for supporting a decent company. :)

21. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

In the past I removed Comodo normally with add remove. No problems, this is how its supposed to work. Then having installed again to see if the new version was less annoying than the previous one it said it uninstalled but when I rebooted sure enough it was still in the system tray & of course no uninstaller anymore. I then spent an hour or so researching & discovered there is no removal utility. Enter JV16 & a few other registry editors. Its probably still not completely gone yet.
    I also keep hearing about the 1 click future product. Well it seems that this future product has a steadily receding release date. Besides that will it really do what you want it to do out of the box? Comodo already throws up so many popups that I sit there happily or unhappily clicking away just to install a program soooo what did I just approve? Finally I wonder if online banking mode in comodo is on by default or if it needs to be actually configured internally. If it needs to be configured how is that done? There are all kinds of tutorials on comodo some here some on Comodos website but how long does it take to dig up the answer & where is it? Is there anyone who will help configure comodo for online banking? Would Online Armor free with Firefox & Adblock plus ,WOT, No Script addons accomplish the same thing. I don't know but maybe it would. Myself I would just buy the Online Armor Pro or at least try it out to see if it works for me if I was doing online banking.
    I am really annoyed when someone requests a simple firewall or a specific firewall & the recommendation is always Comodo. Could Grandma run Comodo? Try putting it on your one of your family members computer. Even better recommend it to your boss. What would be the results? So I got rid of Comodo . However, if someone likes this FW & can make it work by all means continue to use it. I really hope that someone here will tell you how to make Comodo work for online banking without all of the popups.

22. 3xist

3xist Guest

23. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I am not so sure that I want to try this FW again. I note however in the other AV forum that there is a discussion of a free linkscanner download that might help with identifying fake websites.

24. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I am glad to see that Comodo is making progress in this area as the pop ups from previous versions always drove me to uninstall it in short order.

The OP is also looking for a banking mode like OA's. Is that in the new version of Comodo as well? What about "run safer"?

25. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I also had problems uninstalling Comodo firewall and looking at the forum threads showed a ridiculous process for getting rid of all traces if there was an uninstall problem. I briefly tried the latest production release and when I uninstalled it there were quite a few registry entries left behind. I just restored an image and went with a different FW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.