Any FREE FW that has OA paid version protection?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tonyseeking, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyseeking

tonyseeking Former Poster

Is there any FREE Firewall that has protection enabled that the paid version of OA has?

http://www.tallemu.com/free-firewall-protection-software.html

I want netbanking protection etc and all those other green ticks protection options in the paid version of OA.

But is there any FREE Firewall that has all those?

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

CIS is what first comes to mind

3. tonyseeking

Can you please do me the courteousy and explain what that acronym means?

When I searched for CIS on google, all I get is The Centre for Independent Studies.

So what do you mean CIS?

And does it contain all the features of OA paid version?

4. Skytrooper

Skytrooper Registered Member

CIS = Comodo Internet Security

5. tonyseeking

So the free version of Comodo Internet Security does EVERYTHING listed in the paid version of OA?

CIS supports every single thing listed below?

Online Banking Mode YES
    Kernel Mode Security YES
    Updates Manual YES
    Web Shield YES
    Mail Shield YES
    Phishing Filter YES
    Execution Protection YES
    Termination Protection YES
    Autostart Protection Limited YES
    Firewall Standard Mode YES
    Simple Mode YES
    Advanced Mode YES
    Keylogger Detection - Hooks YES
    Keylogger Detection - Kernel YES
    Keylogger Detection - Other YES
    Import/Export Settings YES
    Tamper Protection YES
    Transparent Blocking YES
    DNS Spoofing Protection YES
    Support YES
    Script/Worm protection YES
    Process Guard YES

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i believe so yes, they might not be named the same in CIS, but CIS should protect everything that OA would do in a similar way

7. 3xist

3xist Guest

Yep.

Things like Web Guard & Mail Guard CIS don't have though. Simply because malware needs to hit 2 places:

RAM (Memory)
    Hard Drive.

CIS doesn't add the extra burden you do NOT need. And as of v3.9 Beta CIS now has the Memory Scanner. By the way CIS Protects you from Buffer Overflow Attacks and is designed to work with the AV (You get an AV Alert, You don't get a D+ Alert) - Makes user experience much more pleasant. :)

Cheers,
    Josh

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2009
  8. tonyseeking

So why pay money for OA when we can get similar features for free using COMODO? :gack:

9. tonyseeking

So where do I get this latest version of COMODO?

Thanks Josh. :thumb:

10. munckman

munckman Registered Member

Josh,

Nice Spin but when you said "Makes user experience much more pleasant. :) "... I thought to myself (after shaking my head side to side with an upward motion) that is exactly what COMODO has been striving for; for quite some time.:ouch: :argh: :D

Comodo has a fine product as does Online Armor. The only difference is ease of use for the casual user. And that boils down to User preference. Both, imho, offer excellent protection.

I do like good spin none the less.:D

11. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Here it goes:

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/index.html

Take in mind that in installation there are two components: Antivirus and Firewall.
    You should un-check Antivirus during installation mode.
    Also for when installing Firewall you get 3 options. You should choose the last one which enables Defence +. Only with enabled Defence + in Comodo you can count that it matches OA.

Here are Comodo Forums were you can inform yourself better (and ask questions ;) ) :

http://forums.comodo.com

12. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

You will be more than adequately protected with either OA or CIS. I have not yet tried the latest beta of CIS so things may have changed in the latest beta. IMHO OA is a far more user friendly product that will give a lot fewer pop ups. If you want free, CIS offers more features than the free version of OA but the need for more features depends on other security layers you may be running.

YMMV...give them both a spin and see what you like.

13. tonyseeking

Cheers big ears :) :thumb: :D

But why does it say "free 30 day trial"? I thought it was FREEo_O?

Becayuse the "free" version is like OA free, and is limited and doesn't have all the protection OA paid version has.

So I have to buy COMODO to get proper protecton?

14. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

No, the trial is the trial of the "Pro" version. Once that trial has finished it reverts to the free version :)

15. munckman

munckman Registered Member

No tonyseeking, you Do Not have to buy COMODO; but you can if you need the additional service.

Free means Free.;) It may be prudent if you read about the products and the services that the Software offers. I have found that the product forum pages offer quick and concise info.

16. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Hi again *puppy*

O.K. Just for you. Direct link for the free version :

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html

BTW if you can see ( i suppose you can :p ) on the page you can see two downloads : FREE Download(gray color) and FREE 30 day TRIAL( green color).

You should go to first one :FREE Download(gray color) and you will get to second page, the one that just gave you above.

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/index.html

Comodo Free is no compared to OA Free.
    You can see in the release notes that actually Comodo Free is Pro version and has full functionality.

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/release_notes.html

This paid version of Comodo just has LivePCSupport and additional TrustConnect( which i suppose you don't need it).

Oh yeah Pro version has this one if ever need :blink:

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

There is nothing wrong with wanting a free security solution, however naming a specific product and saying you want all the features of that product without paying for it is a little rude IMHO. Out of respect for Tall Emu and Online Armor I would not have mentioned it by name and I would not have cut and pasted it's feature list.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Good point indeed.

19. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Yes, indeed. All that is like for example, saying that you want a productivity suite that has exactly all the feaure set of MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, Outlook, etc.) but that is free.

It doesn't make any sense to me.

Off topic : Aren't you a former user nicknamed “Truthseeker” that was banned from Wilders a few months ago?

Best regards,

Carlos

20. tonyseeking

Oh, I need that... not :blink: :D

21. tonyseeking

I respect your right to have your own beliefs, and I hope you respect my right to have my own beliefs. So lets agree to disagree.

22. tonyseeking

1. Openoffice :)

2. Makes sense to me.

3. Yes I was known as Truthseeker, but in all honesty I cannot remember ever being banned here... and I cannot recall why I began using this new nickname... maybe you are right,, I honestly cannot remember. :blink:

23. 3xist

3xist Guest

I wonder the same thing! :)

The ONLY difference between The professional version of CIS and free CIS is 2 things:

- You get your own PC geek 24x7x365
    - You get TrustConnect (Used for weird connections, if you are going away, in air port, etc).

I personally have the Pro version and find the Supports Experts EXTREMELY helpful and very very knowledgeable. Good chunk of these guys are MS Certified... So I no longer rely on on-demand antimalware software, if a malware problem or whatever alies I will just ask them to sort them out. :) Anyway but point is between CIS Free and Pro you get same updates, same features and same great protection - There is NOT limited protection or any missing features between the 2. Only Service's are the difference, which IMO is $$ wise.

Cheers,
    Josh

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
  24. tonyseeking

Ok Installed it and I chose the bottom of the 3 options. Defence+

And when Run programs, e.g MAM, etc, can I choose "treat this application as a Trusted Application"?

And for example when I ran Skype, COMODO asked me at least 15 times for permission to run the program.. Why? And is there a better way?

Everything I run is asking me 10-20 times for permissions. How can I stop that?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  25. 3xist

3xist Guest

For which application?

By the way, If you REALLY don't want to deal with Treat As, etc I can give you CIS v3.9 beta which is much more quieter and has one click allow/block Alerts. It's in beta and due for release in 2 weeks, but It's very stable based on user feedback.

Cheers,
    Josh

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.