Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it happens to me too,first week it was just perfect:thumb:,that was the trial,but after it started to give me so many problems with other programs i decided to deleted,i wanted to love it but i guez i am still in love with defensewall and malware defender:thumb:

2. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

NIS isnt exactely superman either.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

none of them are,but the advice is stay with the one you like:D

4. webbit

webbit Registered Member

we have just registered our licence with prev x and i am a bit concerned at the information that is stored within "my account", stored is the infected file and various other things, can you please explain why you need this information.

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

It sounds like it detected after the fact you where already infected.So often this happens with may apps can happen with norton as well,But imo what a product detects it should stop it at the gate so to speak or what it detects at a latter should be able to clean it.This is the problem with so many security apps,They detect whats already to little to late or they stop it but can not clean it or they completely miss and sometime we get lucky they do it all.So imo there is not such thing a perfect all in one security and imo layered approach is still needed regardless of claims by any vendor.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  6. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

I anstalled it but everything is slower than before. Ill let it run for a while and see what happens.

Is this community based so that PrEd reports home?

I uninstalled Outpost a while back so I dont know whats happening outbound with only WinFW.

Threatfire allow to disable community contact - can I do the same with PrEd?

Best Regards

7. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Edge depends on the community database for scanning, but everything is anonymous of course and we don't collect any personal information (we only collect signatures of program behavior - no documents, no other information, etc.)

There may be a marginal slowdown, but it should not affect performance much. Please let us know what you find after using it for a bit longer.

8. PrevxHelp

The issue here is that we just didn't correct the DNS settings, which we can help you with manually if you come into our inbox.

No antivirus product is perfect, and no one claims they are. Of course we will miss things - MalwareBytes tends to find dormant, non-threatening components. Was it able to correct your DNS settings, or was the restore the only way?

Generally, we request that if you have a problem with our products that you let us know and we will definitely work with you to correct it.

9. PrevxHelp

This information is stored for your personal use only, to help manage multiple PCs to be monitored of infections. It is beneficial to users that have many computers or want historical data, but, if you don't want this information, you can just not use/delete the account and the information will be inaccessible.

10. PrevxHelp

We still have not had any definitive reports of problems, so, it is very hard to see what's going wrong. If you could shed some light as to what you think the incompatibility may be, this would be very helpful.

Many Wilders users have dozens of security applications installed, bound to cause SOME incompatibility. It's just difficult to get it to work with everything and to find what is breaking the compatibility.

The best thing to do would be to let us know what isn't working so we can work on resolving the problem :)

11. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

A couple of questions:

-How come PrevX is compatible with other avs while it's an Av itself?
    -Can I use the HIPS with Comodo's D+ or should I disable on of them?

12. PrevxHelp

Edge is compatible with other AVs because when it detects malware, it doesn't interfere with other software's attempts to detect the malware as well (but does prevent it from loading or accessing the system in any way). This way, multiple AVs can find the same file at once without breaking anything or crashing the system.

You can use Edge alongside Comodo's Defense+, we have not experienced any problems with both of them :thumb:

13. PrevxHelp

These settings should be fine. We have worked on tuning the heuristics to perform best (tightest balance of false positives versus detection) at the default settings, however, if you don't experience any problems, it should be fine to move the protection up higher :)

14. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Looks nice, a kind of SAS of the antivirus category:D
    Might give it a ride, if it's not too much resource intensive.

15. PrevxHelp

Resource usage should be very light and the only real slowdown you may see is directly after loading a new, rarely used program.

Please let me know what you think :)

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep, its light.

only slight delay i see is loading the actual GUI itself, takes a few seconds for me.

17. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Hi thanks for your response. The infection was not on before I used Prevx. It happened whilst I was using it, and it did not prevent it from installing enough components to function. Unfortunately I do not trust a system that has had a rootkit on it, so acronis was the only answer for me. If its a stealth rootkit, you never know which bits are still on there and working. I am not knocking the new prevx, but it does not hold enough confidence for me to run as an only program. I have been running NIS for some time and never had a problem ( confirmed by other scans such as MBAM) I have prevx on for one day, get hosed. I guess it is good to run along side other programs but not what I was looking for.

18. PrevxHelp

I bet this is just luck of the draw. The one day you decided to try out the new product you get infected. It's very possible that NIS would have missed it as well, MBAM could have actually been missing it also.

It's always useful to use multiple security programs, but for many users, Edge is enough - it really just depends what you run into on a day to day basis. Some infections will always get through no matter what you have installed (hence why many users here have 20+ security apps installed :D)

19. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello djohn,

Based upon recent tests against over 77 malware samples, I have come to the conclusion that setting advanced heuristics to "medium(default)", program age to "medium" and popularity to "medium" provides a good compromise between minimum false positives and effective detection performance. FYI, these are the settings that I personally use.

Hope this helps.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

20. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

thanks for your response,Sounds like a good balance of detection without excessive FP:thumb:

21. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello djohn,

You are very welcome.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

22. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

Since yesterday that in my PC Edge gets disabled after a few minutes of running. Perhaps reinstalling could help?

23. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    We will have a new test version out later today which would be very helpful if you wouldn't mind trying out :) Or, one of our researchers can connect to your comp now and help you solve it immediately.

24. webbit

webbit Registered Member

Hi

when ever i use multiples security, i have used bit defender for 3 years now, their support always will blame any other security software for my problems, they always tell me to uninstall all other security software/

25. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Seems Edge and CSI may be the same app with less features turned on in CSI.

If CSI is installed first then the CSI gui comes up at installing Edge?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.