Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

My signature is what I use. Each time I tried Edge I removed TF and trusted Edge in DW and Avira.
    I have had problems with hang ups when starting and shutting down, and with Edge starting in the Enabled position.
    Too frequently I've had to Enable Edge and reboot. Then I get 2 Edge icons for awhile. One of them eventually goes away. An hour ago I booted my pc and had to reboot to enable Edge just to see it become disabled 20 minutes later.
    I have not had these problems with any other application.
    Later this week I'll be installing a new hard drive and doing a clean install of XP Pro w/SP3.
    And I'll try Edge again.
    I've removed Edge and cleaned my system of whatever remnants I could find.
    No more hang ups.
    This isn't a complaint. Just my own experiences with Edge.
    I'd be happier if it worked for me because when it is working right it's nice and light.
    Hugger

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Thank you for your information. We are still working to correct some incompatibilities and will have a new version shortly.

3. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

Intended too keep Edge for a couple of weeks, but its not reliable on my system.

Trayicon sometimes shows sometimes not though I can see it in TMGR. Sometimes evaluation monitoring is on sometimes not.

I was just curious - dont think I really need it. So its off and it didnt uninstall totally smoothly either.

Best Regards

4. PrevxHelp

For what its worth, what didn't uninstall properly with in?

5. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

I got amessage that it might not have uninstalled properly and I should do it again - at least remove the folder. After that I cleaned with Clary, Eusing and C Cleaner and my PC is back to speed.

Hugger and me seems to have equal setup. Have Edge team ever tried Edge against such a setup? I am not savvy enough to help you evaluate. Edit; sorry I saw he has a lot I dont.

Best Regards

6. Cretemonster

Cretemonster Registered Member

This is not intended to make fun of or disrespect your setup but if you put that much on my shoulders,I doubt I could get much done either.

That is indicitive of gross overkill and a pure assault on any kernel.

Ive run edge directly beside full version of Avira ISS and have not once in 4 months of testing ever had a slow start or slow shutdown,so my common sense says you just went to one too many Police Officers in House.

For any future testing,this type of setup is not good for a fully biased and fair opinion.

A single Internet Security Suite and then testing edge is fine but add in all the other trimmings this is gonna yield inaccurate and un usable results.

7. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Privatefirewall, Online Armor, Comodo, Sunbelt

rec. 4 av: drweb, fprot, nod32

8. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Nice.... :)
    I'll get it as soon as a free key promotion is on :D

9. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders, where we like to run our own suites :thumb:

10. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Threatfire was uninstalled. DW and Avira Personal Premium were active.
    I'm hoping Edge works outr so that Avira can then be used on demand.Spyware Blaster just sits there not bothering anything and all others are on demand as needed.
    I don't understand how that's overkill.
    Hugger

Edit: Since the others have been working well together the logical conclusion is that the weak link was Edge. To suggest that I lose my other porgrams so that Edge can work is not logical

11. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

On the bright side, it'd appear Kaspersky's GSI parser doesn't identify CSI as potentially incompatible software :)

Perhaps the installation issue is more of making sure their product gets properly installed w/o any other application interfering? Just a thought.

12. PrevxHelp

Sure, I wouldn't doubt it. They're just looking to make sure that the product which their user downloaded/purchased will work on the destination computer.

13. alternety

alternety Registered Member

I swapped my Prevx 2 license for a Edge license. After entering new key in Prevx 2 (initially I thought the Prevx site was telling me to enter the key in the opening/main screen of CSI; but there is no such screen) it still works as Prevx 2. I saw in a post above that CSI has to be uninstalled to run Edge. Is that true?

I was initially (and maybe still) confused about the roles of Prevx 2, Edge and CSI. They do not have a clear statement about what to use with what. Lots of feature lists; but not necessarily understandable to someone not into this whole thing as a competitive sport. Anyway.

My current understanding - PrevxEdge is essentially Prevx 3. It also replaces CSI. Apparently entering the new key in the Prevx 2 should make it magically change to Edge. Is that correct? If not could someone please explain.

14. PrevxHelp

Minor confusion going on here, most likely because the website isn't completely clear.

Edge (aka Prevx 3) and Prevx 2 are different but achieve the same goal - securing the system. Prevx 2 does it by using HIPS style notifications to tell the user when behaviors are happening, however, Edge does it silently and analyzes behaviors primarily in the background (Edge is also lighter and has newly upgraded heuristics, and compatible with Vista).

Edge also duplicates all of the functionality of CSI. If you want to get Edge, you can either download it from our website directly or you can insert a valid Edge license into a copy of CSI running v3.0.0.172 and it will upconvert into Edge automatically.

I hope that helps, if not, please let me know. We will be improving our product placement clarity soon, and we are still going to be making a userguide to help clear up any additional confusion.

15. alternety

What do you mean enter the key into CSI. I can find no way to do that.

16. PrevxHelp

In CSI, on the front screen, there is an option called "License Information". If you click that, it will open a screen which says "Get License" and a box to insert a license with an Activate button next to it.

Let me know your results :)

17. alternety

CSI has no screens. Prevx has a screen. Entering in Prevx changed nothing.

18. PrevxHelp

Not sure what you mean. What version of CSI are you using? It should show it on the bottom right corner. If you look on: http://www.prevx.com/freescan.asp there is a screenshot of CSI - that is where the License Information page is.

19. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Personally I'll stick with PrevxCSI since I don't fancy running anything in real-time,however light on resources,that doesn't actually block any malware.One big annoyance for me is that the same old false positives are there despite me reporting them on numerous occasions (DriveimageXML is not malicious!)

That aside I do like CSI and Edge looks very promising,good to see Prevx back at last.

20. PrevxHelp

Not sure who was handling your false positives, but could you save a CSI scan log? I'll correct them immediately :)

21. andyman35

Yes I'd be delighted to:D

Attached Files:

22. PrevxHelp

Oops, didn't notice the attachment :oops: I've corrected the false positives now - if you rescan, they won't be found anymore :)

23. andyman35

Thanks for the quick response,keep up the good work!:thumb:

24. alternety

I disvocered the CSI screen. The CSI icon does not work like the Prevx icon. Right clicking on it does not bring up a complete list of options (like the oft mentioned front screen). I just never tried left clicking it because of my familiarity with the method in Prevx. I assumed same vendor, same interface.

I thought the only place to execute CSI is from the actual folder in Program Files. There is no option in the start menue folder that installation or something created for start CSI. Only one that says scan my computer. Those do not mean the same thing. Why not make that lable descriptive. For the last many months, csi just started at boot. I did not have to do anything.

Edge indeed appeared and failed immediatly. DR Watson sent a report to MS. Tried starting again and it now says I have to reboot the PC. I swear I say it stated in your literature that you don't do that.

25. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

PrevX I really have to compliment you: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1156681&postcount=3

Quotes from this "post for argument sake" have been tackled:

PrevX uses to many technology to be the champion of its category (using many technologies, means many competitors, which makes it hard to describe your relative advantage). Examplary is how they advertise PrevX2 " If anyone else in the community has ever seen a malicious file, which is about to attack your machine, then it will automatically be blocked from harming you. If you're the first person ever to see a particular malicious file, then all Prevx2.0's defences will be deployed to understand and intercept the file, before it causes you any harm" So I am protected either way? What is the use of community protection then, when all PREVX defences are sufficient by itself?

Edge has become a clearer application for me now:
    When I would be the first one to encounter a threat (intrusion), Edge would mark it as suspicious and silently watch its behaviour with a higher level of alert. In the mean time it would be sent to the central (CSI like) automated analysis centre. There the decision would be made to qualify it good or bad (after automated/professional analysis and not by empty headed community voting)

Question: does Edge watch marked suspicious items with a higher alert level (until answer is received from the community analysis process)? How does it bridge the time between zero day and threat identification? Does it place these 'researched threats' in a temporary locker/vault/quarantaine?

Thanks Kees

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.