The REAL reason we use Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by clansman77, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

READ

what is your reason ??

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

This confirm my thinking, its all about toys. ;)

But to be honest as more companies and computer vendors are using and providing Ubuntu,its get to be serious

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Nice article.

Simple answer - the freedom.

Without getting into the subject of prefering one OS over an other, I like how you can learn and tweak and play about with Linux, I like the OS design and structure, makes it a joy to work with (where other OSes can be really fustrating). I like the communities. I like the choice, you can build from scratch or get a complete running desktop OS. I like the way Linux evolves to its users needs, distros fork, new ones created, rather than being forced to use one OS in a specific way, it can be 100% tailored to your specific needs.

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

It's not marketing Bull **** many Linux geek use it because it's free and they don't want to buy into proprietary software, and that happens to be one of the BIGGEST reasons!

There aren't any deep underneath real reasons that remain hidden and secretive.

I'm a Linux geek of 10 years, I know the world of Linux as good as any Unix geek out there, and there are TONS of reasons...

Talking the way you are stating this is really BS, no offense intended, but don't make it sound like there is something special to all of this, because there isn't.

Everyone out there that uses Linux uses it for different reasons, and not just what's being stated on that blog...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  5. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

If malware ever becomes as prevalent under Linux as it is now under Windows, then I might consider it. Until then, it's just no fun at all. :thumbd:

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I use it because I save 5-10 hours weekly on scans, updates, tweaking & defragging that I was doing in doze.
    Edit: And making a personalised LiveDVD is sooo EASY.

Please don't go from one billionaires OS to another billionaires distro.

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

It's probably worthwhile to note that the text in clansman77's opening is quoting the link provided to Vlad Dolezal's blog entry. I've edited it as such to underscore that connection....

Blue

8. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

thank you blue.i initially thought i would clear that confusion but later decided against that.
    i just saw that article and thought that it was interesting and posted it here and it doesnt mirror my opinion about linux..

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I use Linux because:

- I can
    - It's free
    - 100% control of everything; good for OCD
    - Higher satisfaction-to-input ratio
    - Higher stability
    - Variety of choice
    - No backstabbing tricks
    - Interesting, eye-opening, educative, empowering
    - Not mainstream
    - Generally hassle free

Mrk

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

...good ol' curiosity :)

I'm trying Ubuntu 7.10 since a few days ago. It's quite nice but it drives me nuts that the drivers don't work for my SB Audigy card. There might be printer driver issues as well, but I need some time to check further and, of course, I'm still very new to Linux so I have lots to learn. It looks like it will be fun.

11. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Why would you want malware to become prevalent under Linux?

Am I missing something here... o_O

12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Some folks has curious minds as to like to be in jeorpardy,everything else is boring to these people,so let us throw some holes to fix to get them satisfied ! LOL :D :D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have tryed linux but the main problem is that not many distro's reconize my wireless network card based on realtek RTL8187.
    i have search for how to install the drivers and it all involved lots of commandline. yes i am a ICT technican but i still want to be able to install drivers without having to type lots of commandline codes.
    if fedora had drivers for my network card preinstalled then i would most likely dual boot. if there anywhere i can post sergestions on what drivers to include in the next version of distros?

due to quite alot of use of commandline is the main reason why i dont think it will ever be mainstream.
    Lodore

14. bktII

bktII Registered Member

Initially curiosity. Same for the *BSDs and Solaris.

I've settled on Debian as my primary distro:
    (1) Very good package management that covers most of the apps I use, except for Sun's JDK, Netbeans, Java apps and a couple of other apps.
    (2) Lower resource usage (CPU and RAM) than XP and esp. Vista.

Most of the apps I use for free on Debian are also free for Windows, but would not be updated automatically (e.g., Abiword). Apps that are not available for Windows (e.g., Bluefish), have fine free equivalent software for Windows (e.g., Notepad++, Jedit).

15. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

I like various distro's of Linux for different reasons-

This is a in-depth article about Mandriva One that is really close to Windows
    setup-

Even if you are not going to use Mandriva, it's a good article
    for newbies (like me) -to explain just what you get and
    some basics of how to use Linux..

Hope someone finds it as enlightening and helpful as I did..:D ;)

Marja:cool:

16. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

I do malware collecting and analysis as a hobby. Switching to Linux is going to deprive me of that entertainment. o_O

17. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

So develop a distro that is malware infested, something like ZlobLinux

18. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

19. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

In 1994 I joined a project as system administrator that involved Unix.
    For me Linux offered a great and free opportunity to develop my skills.
    I ended up developing prototypes of shell scripts at home and implementing them on the system at work.

Later I got fond of FreeBSD, but the hardware support is still behind.

Anyway, my reason would be because I always look for something new, something to discover and something to fix.

20. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Whole the development of windows is orientated to ease of use with all the commandlines hardwired and the windowsshell as a command centre,initiating long lines of code with just one mouseclick,i call that progress.
    you can say anything bad about MS but their main objective was and is to make their OS's as userfriendly as possible,and that is a good thing.
    As is always '' tall massive tree's take the burden of high winds of criticism '' but if you look more closely then MS OS's are far more advanced then any other including Linux in its many incarnations.

as you already guess i am not an advanced user but so are 99 % of the computerusers,and then MS is a gift from heaven !! :D

21. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

:gack: :gack: :gack: :gack: :gack:

22. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

reanimate:
    @DasFox
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1206431&postcount=4
    :thumb:
    :D
    :D :D

Kudos to u all

The search, the stimulation, the freedom.. the.. the ..all of the above
    :)

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have been using it off and on for a year and a half because:

1) It's free
    2) It's something interesting and new to learn and play with
    3) The freedom from concerns over malware etc is fantastic

I don't know that I will ever make the leap to a complete changeover to Linux, but I'm pretty sure I will always be interested in it and want to try out new distros and so on.

And it's a very good thing that there is an alternative to Win for those who truly want or need it.

24. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

If Wine ever developed to the point where it could run Vista's version of Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, and Mahjong (my wife loves these games) I'd switch back to Linux in a heartbeat. As you might have guessed I keep close tabs on Wine's progress.

My reasons for liking Linux? It's free, it's mentally stimulating, it's secure, and it's fun.

Later...

25. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I have Vista and XP running perfect in VirtualBox (seamless mode) on PCLOS.....no need for Wine :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.