The REAL reason we use Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by clansman77, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I use it cause its free and everyone knows the best things in life are free :). Not only that, linux allows me to run a modern, up to date OS on older, low spec systems. Often people come to me just wanting a basic system to do basic things on so i simply fix up an old pc and install an appropriate linux distro for them.

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Have you tried playing these games (Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, and Mahjong) in VirtualBox? To my understanding they require 3D acceleration which I thought hadn't been worked out yet in VirtualBox. Also, how much hard drive space did you set aside for Vista? 20-30 gigs? Again, also, I have an ATI card which normally sucks in Linux anyways. I need to get an Nvidia card sometime or other.

Later...

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

If trying to use Linux and pulling half ya hair out is fun then I must be having fun.:D

I don't know, probably just can't break out of the windows mentality.:doubt:

And besides, not seeing that Sandboxie icon in the tray makes me feel highly insecure. :ouch:

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Its like they say, if you want something that looks and acts like windows, then use windows :).

5. L815

L815 Guest

The worst part about Linux in my world is the distro hoppin. I just want to try every one out there!!

But since Wubi came out, I think that will be more popular than Virtual Machines. Hopefully other distros will do similar, or make more Fedora-like usb installers.

The reason I don't use Linux 24/7 on my laptop is because of :
    1- Power Usage, brightness doesn't lower, and power drains fast
    2- Better compatibility (gfx card) with video + compiz.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

One reason, because its all in the open. You can see code, or trust others to tell you - that's the good thing about the open-source world.;)

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

One technical issue that I see time and time again is Microsofts failure to comply with standards, both international and internal.

Win32, .net there are various places where their implementation differs from their written API

Then there things like HTML/CSS, OOXML (even worse is their OWN devised standard) which they fail to have fully compliant software for.

How about a Web Service that I wrote in .net that cannot be consumed by another .net because of issues with blank lines been added by the service which breaks XML compliance.

Or how about the fact that there is not a single (non bundled) Microsoft app that actually complies to either XP or Vista GUI design standards (Office 2003 is close, but office 2007 is worse and not because of the ribbon bar), notepad is one of the few bundled apps that is fully compliant.

Not saying Linux OR Open Source is perfect in this aspect (the bigger issue can be competing alternate standards), but it is far far better (in our case we have moved a lot of our business level services are running java via tomcat).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.