any such firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chris2busy, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

ok...i am not sure if what i am asking of is a firewall or is called something else..i want something toooooo simple and tooooo light that ONLY asks me when an application wants inet access and for me to choose yes/no..just that..no packet filtering,no hips like modules,no other moduels at all..i see some very experienced users around...any1 can shed some light on this? :)

2. SFC

SFC Registered Member

Take a look at Comodo V3 In simple mode (Defense+ Module disable).

3. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Use Online Armor and set it in training mode for the first couple of days and launch all your apps. Then put it back to regular mode and Online Armor should have learned all your apps without asking you and bugging you.

4. chris2busy

thanks guys but both are the 2 most complicated and heavy (and IMHO most secure) firewalls out there...they got like some billion modules each...

5. SFC

SFC Registered Member

Comodo V3 if not complicated if you setup in Simple Mode ;) .

6. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

OA one of the most complicated?
    Well depends on your knowledge of firewalls but in my opinion the standard mode of OA is about as easy as it gets.
    I use the advandced mode in OA 2 and you really don't need to be a rocket scientist to use it.
    (Sorry if I offended any rocket scientists :blink: )

Heavy on resources? Not on my PC but I always go by the rule everyones computer is different.

7. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Complicated...............yeah maybe for a 4 year old. OA is more set it and forget it. Takes minutes to install and set up.

8. chris2busy

someone on my messenger told me of a programm called peer guardian that would do that and he said its as light as it gets...any1 with experience on it?i am asking in case i can get rid of clatter of install/uninstall..as for OA,even in simple mode it adds some monitors(thats what i remember since last time i installed it)and its not that i got an understanding its functions,i just dun really need them :) (partial gaming pc)

9. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

RAM usage for OA2 Free (on one of my systems) attached. I don't believe this can be considered "heavy" by any stretch of the imagination.

Attached Files:

10. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Dude I am a gamer. I play WOW,COD2,COD4,BF2,GRAW,Q4,HL2, TF2 and I have no issues with OA. IF YOU PUT OA IN LEARN MODE IT WILL STOP ALL POP UPS. Any firewall goes through a learning period or else it would not be doing its job. My cousin knows nothing I mean nothing about pc's except for checking his email. He even understood Online Armor after he installed it.

11. chris2busy

i thought it had 4 or 5 processes

12. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

How is that possible.

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

PeerGuardian is just an IP blocker. It doesnt ask when application want to connect out.

If you just want simple allow/deny you could try Proxy Firewall or use AppDefend and disable all its modules except Network Access protection.

14. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Good point...lol. If you want heavy then check out Zone Alarm which uses 36K most of the time.

15. chris2busy

wow..proxy firewall would be awesome if it weren't in beta..thanks..i will give appdefend a go as soon as i make an image...

@ Vettetech
    i am afraid its really possible..f-secure internet security up untill last year used to have 17 procewsses

16. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Yes, Windows Firewall + AppDefend does precisely that. AppDefend will simply ask to Allow/Block once/always when a program wants Network Access. All the other processes that AppDefend monitors can be set to Allow since we're only concerned abt access to internet.

Edit: it's very very very light.

17. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

No one mentioned the number of precesses used by f-secure internet security... I posted about OA2 processes and I believe Vettetech was also referring specifically to that also.

18. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Thank you.....................

19. chris2busy

yes..some re-reading solved that..your right...heading for appdefend now..thx all

20. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

21. chris2busy

yes i am aware of matousec's leak testing.thanks for the info though :) have a nice day..!

22. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Hi, if you're installing AppDefend and want to turn off the trial countdown & go straight to free version:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=178158

Despite its homepage stating that AppDefend free version has limited features, it's actually not (currently).

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

AppDefend is nice but it will annoy you to death with popups unless you can somehow disable all that stuff and just have outbound only control. Also I think it nags you to buy, which can be annoying as well. Give it a try though and see what you think.

Otherwise, I don't think anyone makes something as simple as what you're looking for. Many of us with routers have searched for that before. Agnitum made a little outbound control app once upon a time, but no longer. If I wanted or needed it now, I'd probably use a HIPS with that feature...

24. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Appdefend will pop up a nag screen once after every boot. Although it says its a trial it keeps on fully working after the trial period has ended. Another option is prosecurity free, just disable all modules except network protection. You could also try kerio 2.1.5 its very light and easy to use.

25. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

It can still be very heavy and sluggish. Ram usage is something you should be concerned about 10 years ago, today it's about how much cpu they steal from the system - Same as antivirus applications. They can all have a small ram usage but suck the system dry of cpu power which in return will make the system slow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.