Comodo firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Sputnik, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

2. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

Re: Comodo Personal Firewall

Very strange. Comodo website leads to trustix firewall for 9.99$/year and Trustix website leads to comodo free firewall.
    After subscribing fore the free one, you get a spam mail (save the forest...)
    And 10MB for an unknown firewall is very confusing. I will try it on a test machine. May be it is also a tool for spammers to get email adresses.

3. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

Ok seem to be a real firewall :) , according to documentation.
    But impossible to install. Nor on a Win2000, nor on a XP SP2 machine.
    At the end of the configuration during install, a message saying 'rolling back could not be performed...., not enough privileges...'
    I am administrator and no other firewall installed. On XP, the windows firewall is disabled. o_O

4. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

You may want to reconsider using this firewall........

I thought I would download it and try it on a test box. The download went fine, scanned it with ewido and it came back clean, but what bothered me was the conformation email I received from them. Here is the text from that mail:

##############################################
    date: 2005-10-21 10:26:09
    from: "Comodo Security Services" <personalfirewall@comodo.com>
    subject: ORDER #XXXXXX - CONFIRMATION

This message contains a link to a virus and will not be displayed.
    ##############################################

When a firewall company wants to send me a virus it doesn't instill a lot of trust in that company or its products. And as Clweb said, you also get a spam email along with the conformation.

Yeah, that's a company I want to deal with....NOT!

5. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

I installed it on a virtual machine and it installed just fine. It installed as a 30 day trial, but prior to downloading I submitted an email address (a garbage mailbox to be safe) and I was sent a key for a year license. So, it's free but it wants you to register.
    It started up using around 16mb of memory and settled into about 11-12 on the VM. No component control so it won't be a leaktest killer but gives the typical app control.
    Other than a nifty interface, the only thing that might set it apart from other freebies is a set of wizards meant to learn applications and automaticly setup access rules. I haven't tested to see how well it works but it may be nice for those who have regularly updating apps or games and don't want to be disturbed by the fw.

6. se7engreen

Glad I used a crapbox to get their mail...

Too bad, I know people who would appreciate having an easy app wizard to configure their games for access. I'll attach a screenshot.

I think I'll install the port explorer trial on that VM to see if this fw is behaving itself...

Edit: Out of suspicion, I ran the eula through EULALyzer and it came up with nothing "interesting". Also all is normal with port explorer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  7. Hipgnosis

I thought I would post an update in regards to the Comodo Personal Firewall. My first reaction was to totally write this one off due to an alert I received in an email from the company (shown in this thread). Anyway, I was still intrigued by the firewall because it seemed to offer quite a few very good features so I decided to do some further checking.

I Googled them and it seems that the Comodo Group (the parent company) is a well known (global) internet security related company (I’m not saying that makes them legitimate). Company profile here: http://www.comodogroup.com/corporate/

The most relevant discussion I found in regards to their personal firewall was in an Avast forum. There is a good discussion going on and the firewall is being tested by a number of folks there. Based on this discussion I decided to give this firewall a go on a test box. Thus far I have been impressed. My memory utilization seems to be running a little higher (starts around 13-15mb and goes as high as 20mb) than what some of the folks there are reporting but otherwise an interesting firewall, especially considering it’s free. I have had no problems with stability (BSODs, etc.). The biggest negative I have seen thus far is that is has slowed my boot-up time down noticeably. It has passed the Shields-Up, Sygate SOS and tooleaky tests (that’s all I have tested thus far). Here is a link to the Avast discussion: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17020.0

Anyway, I just thought I would post this update and information in case anyone else might be interested in testing it out. As was reported here by me and Clweb, you do get a spam email when you register to get the key that turns it from a trial to an annual license. The spam mail is essentially an email from them talking about saving the forests and promoting another of their products, “Trustfax”. I am happy to report that other than that one mail I have received no other “spam”, or any other kind of mail from them. Also, in regards to my previous post here about the reported virus link in their confirmation email; when I registered this time I had the confirmation email sent through Avast and it was reported as clean.

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

And about CPU usage?

9. Hipgnosis

Never tried attaching an image here before...hope this works. If it doesn't, I recorded CPU utilization of 0 to 0.75 and 0 to 1.54.

Attached Files:

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

can you show me the CPU Time item in ProcessExplorer?

11. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

Hi,

Im really interested in trying out this firewall but for some reason it wont allow me to install it on the main admin account in XP SP2, i run the setup, it says configuring windows installer, the blue progress bar gets to 100% & it then pops up a error installshield dialog saying failed to create installdriver instance.

It seems to me watching the install in Process Explorer that the MSI installer is trying to install or run IDriver.exe (part of the installshield routines) but is being blocked from doing so.

I have been in touch with support about it & they seem to have gave up, i made sure all my security apps (NOD, Ewido & ProcessGuard) were all disabled but that made no difference at all.

Has anyone here that has install probs with this firewall actually solved how to get it to install?

TIA.

12. Hipgnosis

Sure, here you go........

Attached Files:

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

14. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

Seems nice. I wonder if someone else had the installation problem I noticed in a previous post. I tried again an installation today and always this problem.

15. Hipgnosis

Oddbod,

Don't know if either of these two articles will be of any help but it might worth reading to see if they give any insight into your problem.

http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108440

http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108322

16. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

@Hipgnosis, many thanks m8, a link on your first link got me the info & dowloads to clean install the installshield libraries which finally got the setup for comodo to complete & install itself, been testing it at grc & pcflank, so far so good.

@Clweb, the info in this link enabled me to delete & reinstall the different version of the installshield stuff (versions 7, 8 & 9 & the updates for them) meaning the install problem was solved, hopefully the info provided by Hipgnosis will help U too & others with this install problem.

17. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

Oops forgot the link (mebad)

http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108322

I just followed the advice to delete the 7, 8 & 9 versions of installshield then reinstalled them one by one (including updates) After that the setup for comodo worked for me, should do for you too.

18. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

yours have different interface that mine, where you download yours from?

Attached Files:

• cfw.jpg
      cfw.jpg
      File size:
      144.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  19. broken

broken Guest

That was the older interface.

20. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

where can i get the new one, do you have direct link?

21. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

Thank you for the info. But the installation process (at least what depends from Installshield) completes. Then Comodo configures itself, and there I get an error message (see below).
    The Comodo support forwarded my problem to the developers.
    And yes I have administrator rights. I am the only user of the PC.

Attached Files:

22. Hipgnosis

Oddbod,

I'm glad that resolved your problem. :)

23. Hipgnosis

mata7,

You can get it here: http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

You will need to provide a name and email address to download and get the activation code.

EDIT: mata7, from the image you posted it appears you already have the latest version.

24. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

thanks Hipgnosis

i use that link went i download mine before, but se7engreen have same FWall but Whit a different interface, and the oder guys say that i have the old interface one

25. se7engreen

I just checked out this firewall again and I'm sure that my previous pic was the old interface. Too bad, I found the old interface to look a lot cleaner that this new one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.