Windows 8 - what features swayed you to buy?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Sully, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Unless anyone can say with 100% certainty there is or there isn't, no one will never know what that's all about.

One thing we do know is that AppLocker hotfix has something to do with it.

Now, if anyone is really interested in pursuing this discussion, there's really one sure way of knowing whether or not is a bug in Process Explorer or if there's more to it than we know, and that sure way is going to the Sysinternals forums and report this possible bug. Otherwise, it's like discussing whether or not the Yeti is real... I have seen it, though. :D

:)

3. elapsed

A "hotfix" to an existing software solution doesn't magically implement an entire sandboxing routine, and on top of that, doesn't go undocumented.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I'd assume it's a bug in process explorer. Consider that on Windows 8 Process Explorer doesn't even show Chrome using AppContainer... why would it use it on Windows 7 but not Windows 8? Why would an AppLocker hotfix make Chrome use a different sandbox when it doesn't use it on Windows 8?

5. m00nbl00d

Did I say it did? I only said the AppLocker hotfix is somehow involved. Whether or not it's bug in Process Explorer, I couldn't care less. But, if anyone wants to go further into this, then they should report this as a bug in Sysinternals forum. I mean, what better way do you folks have of knowing for sure what's really happening?

If I'm not mistaken, when I first encountered this AppContainer thing in Windows 7, there was a similar discussion to the one you folks are having now. Or, in other words, no one knows a damn thing why this happens. We don't know if it's a bug or not, and why Process Explorer shows AppContainer instead of Untrusted.

Anyway, I won't be less secure because of this. :D

6. m00nbl00d

I hope I'm not wrong, but hotfixes don't generally come installed nor are they distributed to general Windows users. You have to request them. This AppLocker hotfix needs to be request, if I well remember.

Do you have the respective hotfix installed? Could you try and see what happens? Just curious. :)

7. Hungry Man

No, I don't have it installed. If I did it might then show it using AppContainer, which in my mind would then prove it's a bug, as AppContainer already exists on this system and Chrome is definitely not using it according to ProcessExplorer.

It seems unlikely that this AppLocker fix secretly slipped in a feature like AppContainer. That combined with it showing Chrome, a program that doesn't use AppContainer, as using it... seems pretty clear.

I'll install the fix if it comes to that but as I don't use AppLocker I don't really have any reason for it.

8. m00nbl00d

I just checked the website, and it doesn't mention Windows 8. It's only for Windows 7/Windows Server2008 R2 SP1. Not sure if Windows 8 AppLocker already solves this, or if one would have to make a request. Most likely, it already solves it.

Anyway, I'd actually be more interested in knowing what exactly the hotfix did to make PE go nuts. I mean, why would an AppLocker hotfix that's, for what we know, not related to WMIC at all, make PE go nuts with WMIC info display?

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Windows allready had restricted and untrusted users (besides basic user) in it for ages, so it is not new, those user levels existed in XP and were extended to integrity levels in Vista. What the hotfox achieves is that it denies access to API which was used to bypass (Low level/protected mode) installs. Windows 7 = internal 6.1 Windows 8 = 6.2 so the waterfront is not as huge as marketing suggests. Protected Mode = Low Integrity, Enhanced Protected Mode = AppContainer being Untrusted with some extra limitations (like partitioning) and some less restrictive access rights of Low IL.

Using parts of code available of the fork 7.5 for Nokia Smartphone (using tiles and AppContainer like functionality) when in a rush to issue a hotfix fast, seemed feasible enough to me (also considering the source is usually reliable).

Hey, I am just the messenger, not able to explain more than what I heard personally. Could be true or bogus story.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  10. Hungry Man

The 6.1 and 6.2 are meaningless numbers. The difference between the kernels is more than what a ".1" may indicate.

There are also network restrictions on appcontainer and various other means. I'm not saying they couldn't work it into Windows 7 but there's no reason to believe they have - Chrome doesn't use AppContainer.

It seems more likely that it's seeing Chrome's renderer as Untrusted with special tokens and flags that may look like AppContainer to ProcessExplorer for whatever reason. But Chrome doesn't use AppContainer so we can basically state it's a bug no matter what - further, because it's a bug, there's simply no reason to believe it's been added in. And if they were to add it in I can't see why they'd slip it into an unrelated hotfix.

11. elapsed

Indeed. The only reason it's .2 is an attempt to preserve compatibility with some programs.

12. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Well I just purchased a new desktop for Christmas and decided to go with Windows 8 instead of Win 7. Why?

I ultimately went with W8 because of the security improvements, and to my surprise I'm liking the tiles on the start page (once organized).

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I think that's really the key; the 'start' screen can seem obtuse until you spend a little time making it the way you like. I think Win8 as a whole will be a lot better once we get a good selection of apps.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I am giving the release preview one more try for the rest of this month to see if I can convince myself to buy it... I was in Best Buy today and realized that on new hardware, 8 is probably going to be the only way to go, if not yet, then soon... nobody will be making win 7 drivers for new hardware, things move forward. So when I buy a new machine, it will have 8. The only question now is, should I upgrade on the laptop, or just wait till I buy the next machine. I'll work with it for a month, and then decide....

15. PoetWarrior

I remember the first time I realized I could name/group tiles. A light turned on for me. That was the beginning.

16. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I think that was actually it for me as well :)

17. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Amazon has "Top 100 Tips for Windows 8" available for $0.99 as an ebook. If you don't have a Kindle or Kindle app then you can use their 'cloud reader' to read it from your browser.
    http://amzn.com/B009UAFZXI

18. PoetWarrior

Thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.