windows 2003 terminal server install

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by onaj, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onaj

onaj Registered Member

Hello,

The question:
    Applying configuration/policy to terminal server

The background:
    We purchased 30 business licenses of NOD32; 12 have been installed local workstations via the remote admin console, three will be for laptops soon as I better understand the instructions, and the remaining "15" will be applied towards users on a single terminal server.

I found the following articles:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=231829
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?pag...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1268777860972

My plan is to create an install package using the 64 bit binary. The instructions for removing the gui are easy, however, I'm having difficulty understanding how to actually apply the configuration setting changes. Am I supposed to make the changes through the configuration editor or the policy editor? Will the gui be available for the administrator user? Should I pass on the configuration through the packaged, push install, or better to install first, then roll out the config/policy?

I'm still really confused on policy vs. configuration, would be cool if anyone can help on that issue in this thread.

Thank you for your time.

2. RyanH

RyanH Eset Staff Account

onaj,

Let's briefly address the question regarding the difference between configuration and policy. The older version of ESET RA (version 2.x) required that you "push out" a new configuration to the client workstations. You can push this to a single client workstation or to multiple client workstations. This is a one time task.

With policy manager, it allows your client workstations to "pull" the configuration from the policy when they report into the ESET RA server. Therefore any future changes you make in the policy, immediately gets applied as each workstation reports into the server. In addition, creating a policy allows you to assign clients to different policies. So for example, you can have a policy for remote users and one for just terminal servers.

Now to address your question regarding how you should go about creating your package. Probably the easiest is to go to a workstation that already has ESET NOD32 Antivirus installed. Make the setting changes described in the article you listed in your post. Then export the settings (Setup > Import/Export settings....) to a configuration file. Then when you go ahead and create your installation package, you will have the choice to select that configuration file.

Hope this helps and is not too confusing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.