configuration roll out vs. policy

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by onaj, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onaj

onaj Registered Member

Hello!

The question:
    If every installation and configuration option is to be the same on the network, is there any reason for me to use the configuration push versus simply updating the policy?

The background:
    I have rolled out nod32 to 15 workstations via the remote administration program following instructions in the quick-start guide. Following the installation, I discovered a few other options I wanted enabled and/or disabled (e.g. disable notification of windows updates, schedule weekly scanning at 2am). The instructions in the kb show how to roll these configuration changes out using saved xml files, however, why couldn't I just make the change to the policy? If I make a change to the policy, do I need to do anything to "roll it out", or does that automagically get set on the workstations?

Thank you for your time.

2. onaj

onaj Registered Member

I've been playing with policies and child policies, and oh my goodness they are FUNKY. When I add, say, 13 of 15 clients to a child policy, save it, then close and look at it again, the two missing clients are shown in the child policy? I'm confused. Would a screen capture here help?

3. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

Yes, please post a screenshot of what you are looking at.

4. onaj

onaj Registered Member

I got my lingo mixed up, sorry...

Here, first, I create a child policy and add all but two (see image 1).

Then, when I look at the parent policy, only two computers are there?

Attached Files:

5. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

Child policies inherit settings from the parent but at the same time remain separate. In your case the view is showing the two computers assigned to the Default Primary Clients Policy. It isn't going to show the child computers under the parents view. Everything looks correct in your screenshots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.