Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Krusty. I suggest you follow a routine that I always do with the upgrades and the big updates that we have now in W10. A few days ago, I read you saying that 10 minutes (I believe it was 10 minutes) after the computer rebooted for the first time after the upgrade, you rebooted again, and then the problem started.

My routine. After upgrades and W10 updates, I leave the computer alone for a while, perhaps for about 30 minutes, I basically don't do anything, I let things settle down before I start doing things. I might toy a little with Task manager, or open File Explorer, and close it quickly. But basically, I dont start using or testing the computer before a while has gone by. And then, a couple hours later, I reboot again, and do the same routine again, and again, during the first few starts or reboots of the new system.

I also have come to realize that this upgrades take days perhaps up to 2 weeks before the computer really really settle down. Personally, I feel that my 1903 upgrade, finally settled down about 3 days ago (I updated May 23rd). The computer has felt great since the day of the upgrade, but feels even better now. I can feel and see the difference. Also, during the day, I leave alone the computer for a while, and let it run and do the things the system wants to do without interference from me. It helps, and then when you want to use the computer, it lets you use it as it has already had the time to do the tasks and shores that it wants to carry. I do this sort of things with the new system or when I notice the system is kind of busy. It works.

Bo

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

For the record, 1903 upgrade succeeds and boots into Windows. It is the first restart after installation that fails.

With the clean install of 1903 the machines restart OK at the beginning [at least on one machine] but later restarts fail.

I admit this makes it look like something I'm doing, or in the case of the upgrade, have done. I just don't know what.

Machine 3 has had a problem with both clean installs and upgrades since 1809 resulting in countless BSODs. This continued with a clean install of 1903 and will now remain running Linux.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

My clean install of Win 10 - 1903 worked out quite well after a while. Let me explain, after clean installing I've noticed with great disappointment that the brightness level could no longer be adjusted, I thought damn it, but as a last resort before imaging, I went to Device Manager and updated the display adapters drivers, and it worked perfectly well after that.

As I was at it, I thought why not check every item of Device Manager, and to my surprise so many of them needed an update, which was automatically performed by MS. The bottom line is one should not take for granted that a clean install will be perfect from the outset, things have to be checked out manually.

One of the reasons I wanted to try a clean install was about my CPU which always ran at 1 % before the upgrade when idle, with Chrome running. With the upgrade it would never rest at 1%, rather 2-3%, now with the clean install it is back to 1%, which means the upgrade was not flawless, and I'm glad I did it after all.

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Clean install of 1903 on my main HP machine. Wish me luck.

So far so good. I've only made changes from within Windows with no Registry keys, PowerShell cmdlts or third party software or drivers.

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Have you checked manually for any more Win Updates?

7. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Indeed,congratulations and best of luck!

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Thanks, I might need it.
    Yep, I have. Not on that machine right now but from memory Windows Update found another update ending in 395 or similar. After installation the same update was still shown as available, but checking for updates again solved that.
    Yeah, I did that too and a few drivers were found. I may eventually reinstall HP Support Assistant as it did provide an update to my BIOS yesterday.

Thanks all for your support. Nearly midnight here and I'm off to bed. I might boot to my MR recovery flash drive tomorrow and image the machine as it is, just in case.

Nighty night all.

9. itman

itman Registered Member

My experience has been auto driver update feature only covers external components like graphics card, USB drivers, etc.. One needs for example, to manually check for motherboard chipset drivers, etc..

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I had always assumed that Windows Update would find drivers for all devices, but I was wrong. I found a PowerShell script to automate the task of checking for driver updates. But I get errors whenever I run it.
    http://rzander.azurewebsites.net/sc...date-drivers-directly-from-microsoft-catalog/
    https://superuser.com/questions/144...vices-with-powershell-windows-10?noredirect=1

11. imdb

imdb Registered Member

@Krusty

so, how is it going with 10? all good?

12. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

IMDb,

Currently I have an image stored on an external drive of 1903 bare-bones and stable. I will work on that when I have the patience. In the mean time I restored my current working image.

Thanks to Macrium Reflect for their free version.

Cheers,
    Krusty

13. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i hope it works out ok. good luck. :thumb:

14. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

After applying my Registry tweaks and PowerShell cmdlts Windows is still starting. Unfortunately, the registry keys for disabling Edge do not work. While it doesn't appear to start with Windows, once opened it doesn't fully close but remains running in Task Manager. From my brief look, it doesn't even become suspended.

15. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

So far so good, just testing the water here and there and no problems yet.

16. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I really don't want to jinx it but so far my clean install is working well. I've been imaging along the way and haven't had to restore any backups = happy Krusty. :)

17. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

18. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Well well... After imaging my other machine then uninstalling HMP.A using REVO Uninstaller Pro, I clicked the button to allow the 1903 upgrade. It succeeded! I'm not game to try a system restart just yet to see how well the upgrade went. I'll leave the OS time to settle in.

I'm not saying that HMP.A was to blame for my issues will both clean installs and upgrades, but so far with Alert not installed both my Windows machines seem happy running 1903.

19. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Krusty glad to hear it!!!

Side note, finally got offered 1903 last night at home. Installed with no issues. I will get around to a clean install at some point.

20. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

:thumb: Glad you're up and running too! Clean installs are nice if you can make the time. They take a little tweaking to get them how we like but it is worth it. I've gained around 30 GB on this machine which has been upgraded over upgrades.

Restart on my other machine completed without issue too! :)

21. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I think I've mentioned it before but any tweaks you've applied probably need to be reapplied after one of these updates. They always blow out our registry entry for ServiesPipeTimeout. We set this for at least 60 seconds if not 120. The default is 30 and any automatic services that don't start in 30 seconds do not start at all. This is a problem for our customers as SQL Server will fail to start and then there is no database connection available. At least they don't seem to be turning Fast Startup back on anymore.

22. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Awesome glad to hear it man!!!

23. guest

guest Guest

Windows 10, version 1803 end of servicing on November 12, 2019 (published June 11, 2019)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4506606/windows-10-version-1803-ending-nov-12-2019

24. plat

plat Registered Member

I still have the 1903 courtesy of the Upgrade Assistant, it's been really surprisingly stable. I have no System errors in Event Viewer. The only annoying thing is the Store live tile isn't "live." It's dead. Tried the gamut I found online, like dism and whatnot. I recall a fix somewhere, possibly involving a registry modification--if anyone knows of it, please do tell. Also, I did have to reinstall my chipset driver and redo the NVIDIA driver, but other than that....

25. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.