Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stapp, Aug 3, 2016.

1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I did a clean install on my computer (I was tetsing tweaks, besides an upgrade takes longer than a clean install + software), I did an upgrade on another.
    Have you tried hiding it via WUMT? Or maybe enabling Defer setting might help.

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    it's relative what takes longer , but what? should i do another clean install on a future windows 10 and install all my programs ??

3. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

mantra:

Would you give your current build and version? Type winver in search box to get it. Is the issue with flash and your apps the only thing keeping you from going to build 14393? Maybe you can just try Anniversary Upgrade and see if you can work with it. If your internet connection is good, it takes 20-30 minutes ideally. Insofar as upgrading to Anniversary Edition, you can cleanly install it OR use the download link ( I used it after disabling/uninstalling various security and keeping downloads of all my apps). I can say flash plugins are working properly, in Edge and crummy but appropriately in Firefox browser on build 14393.351. If you want the AE download, here it is:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

Earlier Windows 10 versions:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us...ew/whats-new-windows-10-version-1507-and-1511

Trying to suppress updates to Windows 10 is tricky and can give you some major problems. I wouldn't suggest it. See if changing "active hours" in Settings/Update and Recovery is of any use.

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

If using this download, untick the "get Intel" thing in Optional Offers box. To me, it's a PUP.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2016
  4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    does somebody notice that the task bar doesn't hide with program that need full screen like photoshop?

my windows verion 1511 10586.589

edge 25.10586.0.0

internet explorer 11.589.10586.0
    http://i.imgur.com/SkBYmj3.png

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  5. Grumlo

Grumlo Registered Member

hello, can I disable this on Windows 10 AU :

Intel(R) Dynamic Application Loader Host Interface Service
    Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service
    Intel(R) Management and Security Application User Notification Service
    Intel(R) ME Service

6. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Unless this is a business computer on a domain or network, you can ask yourself whether you really need these items. In some computers, the ME can be disabled in the BIOS but I'd be extremely wary here. You can contact your device manufacturer for specific advice for that.

You can try to disable via services.msc/Intel service/ right-click for Properties. Disable or delete any listed Intel-related task in Task Scheduler run as Administrator. Disable any startup items in Task Manager. No guarantees these will stay disabled in the long term or not give some errors or other problems. Type services.msc in search box.

I uninstalled Intel software, like the Management Engine Interface, Intel True Key and Rapid Storage Technology. If you're uninstalling, you can do it manually via Programs and Features or you can use something like Geek Uninstaller. Check for leftover items, including hidden items via File Explorer/View/Show Hidden and any remaining tasks in Task Scheduler. Also check Task Manager for leftover entries.

http://geekuninstaller.com/

Intel support if you want specific advice:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/support

7. Grumlo

Grumlo Registered Member

Ok thanks

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    but if i disable flash under internet explorer and edge , the application should not work ,right?
    in short all the windows 10 applications do use explorer and edge flash player?
    thanks

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I hope that they won't introduce this changes on Windows 7 and 8 also.

12. pegas

pegas Registered Member

KB3200970, KB3202790 and KB890830 installed smoothly.

13. guest

guest Guest

same here.

14. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Problem-free also.:)

15. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  16. anon

anon Registered Member

17. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

plat's quote: "though it's superficially reassuring that mitigations were improved re: Edge, still I cannot bring myself to use it!"

Cross Madame plat's palm w/silver and she will reveal additional prophecies. :)

Good but eye-opening article. Thank you, anon.

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Defending against ransomware with Windows 10 Anniversary Update November 11, 2016 9:05 am

19. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

@Mister X Thanks for the link, particularly straight to the "meat and potatoes" of the PDF document. Pretty interesting stuff, really. Flash Player process within it's own AppContainer sandbox. Improved ASLR randomization for the kernel. And much more, indeed. It's good to see Microsoft taking security (and lots of proactive measures) more seriously and hardening the overall system in many ways. Also good to see new security mitigations being added with each iteration of Windows 10 updates (more specifically the larger upgrades such as Anniversary Update). Even better, it's good to see many different PDF documents direct from Microsoft detailing much of these security improvements.

I don't believe that it was detailed in this particular article, but it will be very nice to see Return Flow Guard in the next Creators Update of Windows 10 to compliment Control Flow Guard with regard to ROP techniques. Solid mitigations with very minimal performance implications.

(my reply was initially going in the other thread which was closed by the time I finished my reply)

Here is PDF link from other thread: http://wincom.blob.core.windows.net/documents/Ransomware_protection_in_Windows_10_Anniversary_Update.pdf

20. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

You are welcome.

21. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Hmmm, does anyone else see a "Live Kernel Event" in Control Panel/Security and Maintenance/Maintenance/View reliability history?

live kernel event.PNG
    Great, I have a hardware problem? No details? Nothing in Event Viewer, no perception of decreased performance at boot, which is when it's logged. Looked at the one helpful thread on the matter in TenForums, which suggested this is some kind of Windows thing--as usual. Does anyone see this also? Windows 10 14393.447, it's happened three times in the last week.

22. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yes, I'm having this from time to time too. As everything works normally I ignore it.

23. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

You're right after all, It seems you SHOULD ignore it, but now it's missing from Reliability History anyway. Microsoft? Did you walk in and make off with my LiveKernelEvent? It's like mice, you seal off one entry and there are two more hidden away. The reason why I mentioned it is that my machine does have a possible hardware issue (motherboard) and I need to be alert for signs. Seems this was a false alarm, but sneaky, sneaky.

24. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

I ended up disabling Fast Startup via Control Panel/Power Options/Choose what the Power buttons do/Change settings that are currently unavailable/remove check from Fast Startup under Shutdown Settings. OK, this has a negligible effect for me, adding maybe 2-3 seconds to startup and nothing to shut down process except a prolonged "shutting down" message. Just want to forestall the dreaded black screen at start up, there were slight indications there.

25. guest

guest Guest

Fast Startup is the first thing i would disable on a fresh installed system.
    "Some seconds" more to boot is better than having issues:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.