Will there be more updates to TI9 Home?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tachyon42, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

It is very costly to support products on older Os, as well as newer OS.
    At some point support for particular OS has to be cut off.

Indeed, even those of us using Windows 2000 are affected by such cutoffs, as a number of products require at least Windows XP. In particualar, once my NAV 2006 license expires, I would have to move on to another AV oroduct as NAV 2007 requires at least Win XP.

One solution may be to replace a drive with a larger drive and add WSin XP as part of my multiboot system.

Of course, adding the cost of the repacement drive and the Windows XP license, it may be easier to just purchase a Wiin xP system and add Vista at an appropriate time.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I think you have captured the situation with the above paragraph. Typically when MS incorporates a feature into Windows that has been available from 3rd party providers it is a stripped-down version. Bells and whistles do sell. People read them off the box or on the web-page but many of them are never even used after the product is purchased. As far as reviewers go, there was a post about a year or so ago where it was determined the reviewer had not used TI9 but IIRC was relying on the advertising propaganda. To be fair, I think many reviewers do load the product and give it a brief try-out. However, it is unlikely they really do a torture test on every feature. It is like the surveys of car owners asking how happy they are after the first year - I really want to know how happy they are after year 3 or more.

Everything in the PC world has to be taken with a grain of salt because there are so many hardware and software choices and configurations. To condemn a product because it doesn't work on a particular machine without finding out why is unfair.

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I have just replied in another thread about Acronis offering a special deal to purchasers of TI 10 concerning TI 9. If they are still offering 9 as a come on to new users in this manner, it is to be hoped that this might be a way for them to make available one more upgrade - without them seeming to make a policy about turn.

As I stated in the other thread, there is a difference between offering a paid for (albeit discounted) full version, versus a free version on magazine CD's for which I for one wouldn't expect upgrades.

Colin

Link to other thread here

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

"If Acronis are making a special offer on v9, then supporting it for a little while longer will hopefully be a given."

They're giving it away because they want nothing to do with it.

As soon as people start asking for support, it will be “Please update to the latest version ….”.

5. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Actually that is a standard reply email offer whenever you purchase a product from them. I received that same offer last year and to me it seems they just did not update the auto reply info or link to reflect ver 10 yet. I have one somewhere for the same deal for 10. I can round it up and post it if anyone wants it. As the OP said however, even though the TI is 9 in that deal, the DD and other products are still current. Also don't forget the browser back button trick once you have added a product to your cart that will give you an additional 10% off as well. Just remember to have popups allowed for the Acronis site and I think the browser needs to be IE for it to work.

6. TheWeaz

I can’t help but feel that it’s just all smoke and mirrors. Nothing more than an attempt to obfuscate what’s really happening here. Dazzle ‘em with bullshit.

7. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

There was also an additional/alternative discount available last year which came out just before christmas. By purchasing using the voucher code CHRISTMAS one could get x% off. The strange thing was that this code was worked for about 6 months after christmas. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same for V10.

F.

8. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

It would be quite easy for MSFT to provide a proper image based backup.

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Technically - yes. Commercially - probably not (due to anti-trust regulations).

10. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello guys,

Acronis Support is back on the forum.

Replying to TI10 and Corporate Editions questions for the moment.

But stand by, it will be any moment now ...

11. foghorne

Hi bVolk

....always the optimist :D :D

F.

12. Doug_B

Doug_B Registered Member

This was the discount I got last year at Christmas time, plus the add'l 10% off when an ATI popup (or frame) appeared after I left my cart without purchasing (without foreknowledge of this extra discount).

Doug

13. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Would it be too much to expect the program, Acronis True Image Home Version 9, to run as it is intended to? As a customer who purchased ATI V 9 for full price in May 2006 in good faith, I still expect that known hardware and software independent bugs and non-functional aspects of TI 9 will be fixed, soon. I've even read a recent review that says Acronis fixes bugs promptly when they are found, and releases frequent new builds, rather than new versions, to do precisely that.

Acronis, any news on how this is coming?

14. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I purchased ATI V9 in August 2006 and I am also waiting for a sign of Acronis.

Now this is strange, this is suppose to be Acronis Official Forum, but they appear to have vanished in the nature.o_O

15. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Registered Member

No way, they're keeping that for V11, just around the corner, just in time for Xmas!:D

16. Uncle Ben

q

All kidding aside, I find this thread is quite interesting. All sorts of people here pissed off because they just bought version 9 and version 10 just came out. The funny thing is that I've seen the very same thing from Roxio, Nero, ACDSee, you name it... most, if not all, software developers follow the exact same pattern. They IMPROVE their product, and come out with a new release. And the fact that a developer is coming up with new releases FREQUENTLY is not a bad thing, quite the contrary...a far better scenario than one who only updates once a year, if that!

Let's put this way. The people who post here are the EXCEPTION confirming the rule, i.e. the product works for MOST people, but not for some, be it because of hardware configuration, faulty 3rd party software, or some fault with Acronis' TI software. And if you don't think that's true, talk to your local software retail store - THEY CAN'T KEEP TI ON THE SHELVES! Why? Because it works! Well, most of the time any way...

Yes, there are bugs with software packgaes, and that goes for ALL software applications. I've been at this for >25 years; and I've yet to install an application that didn't require XXXmegs of up-dated code UPON installation; and still, the forums were packed with problems.

Does that make it right? No, but it's a fact and for those of you here who are chastising Acronis, understand that they are Acronis, not AcroBats, they can't do somersaults, but they DO improve their product from one revision to the next. For those who feel that the revision can help them, good, upgrade, don't worry and be happy. For those who are happy with their product as it is, that's good too, don't worry and be happy.

The long and short of it. Don't worry, be happy, mon!:D

Acronis is not the only one in the REV game. They all are...except MS! But don't kid yoursleves, they play the game better than everyone else!

Cheers!

17. Antarctica

Re: q

How do you know it is the EXCEPTION? The people that are visiting Wilders are a minority amongst the thousands of ATI users. So what about all the others that also have problems but we will never hear about.;)

18. TheWeaz

How many people posted questions here and got damn tired of waiting for Acronis to respond and never came back?

19. foghorne

Don't joke. V11 is slated for Oct 2007.

F.

20. foghorne

Let's put it this way. the product works for most people providing they are not using certain features. The well advertised list of 4 or 5 bugs by Menorcaman are actually *not* hardware related they are just bugs.

What you need to appreciate is the lifecycle of True Image. They release a new version every 12 months. The first 3 or 6 months of every release I can remember (going back to V1 when they called it True Image Deluxe...ha) is effectively a Beta release where they use (abuse?) paying customers to iron out their problems. What has happened in V9 is that the ironing out of problems has taken so long that they have hit their V10 schedule.

The outstanding issues are not one off quirks for the odd user with unusual hardware or with some strange PC configuration, they are proven generic bugs which Acronis have decided to skip over in the name of greed.

Wise up "mon".

F.

21. Uncle Ben

You're both right, I don't know. How could I? But I would venture a guess that most people who come to a User Group such as this one are people who are having one kind of problem or another. Furthermore, I'd say that that is the minority, not the majority, and I find comfort in that in the fact that TI sales figures are growing exponentially.

I din't meant to offend anyone here, no ill-intention whatsoever on my part; and if I did offend someone, then please consider this an apology. I just wanted to make a point that Acronis is no different than all the other software developers I've been dealing with lately, when I moved from an old clunker W98 PII machine to a new computer, with all the bells and whistles, truly an overkill for what I need it for, but what the heck!

As for my part, I have no complaints whatsoever about Acronis Customer Service and Support Team. I used their web site chat on a number of occasions, which brought me immediate solutions/answers to my questions. And except for one question, all three out of four issues raised with Acronis Support have been answered <48 hours. So that's not so bad. And that's why their sales are going well. The product is sound and stable, they keep it up, updating continually (even though it frustrates some), and they do their best to provide economically-sound customer service and support. If you want to read about horror stories, take a look at the Symantec debacle over the last decade or so - now that's really a pathetic and sad story, a company that was truly at the top of its game! Not any more, not my a long shot.

For the record, I have no connection whatsoever to Acronis. I'm an old retired accountant, who has nothing better to do with his spare time than fart around (I don't mean this literally, of course not) with his new computer toy, and piss people off on newgroups.;)

Cheers!

22. foghorne

Interesting. Can you provide a reference.

Doing a fine job.

F.

23. Antarctica

Yeah! you are good at that.:D

I hope when it will be my turn to retire that I will have another hobby.:p

24. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

That is the crux of the issue.
    These problems, and the ever present corrupted image problem, just get ignored. Are they just too hard to fix?
    Version 10 will undoubtedly have its share of 'too hard' bugs also.
    So TrueImage slowly becomes more user unfriendly and full of traps for the unwary.
    A really sad situation when it could, and should, be quality software.

25. Uncle Ben

I went to five different retail stores to find a boxed TI9 - they were all out of stock. Talking to the sales clerks, I was told that they can't keep them on the shelves, very high demand. Finally found a copy at Best Buy - they only had one!

More tangible references - I'm impatiently waiting for the IPO, like many other investors I'm sure. Acronis has a good name on the market place, it has formed strong strategic alliances with key business partners, continues to win awards left and right ...

http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2006/09/18/smallb1.html

And there's more out there, just take a look.

But that won't make you feel any better about the apparent lack of support from Acronis. I think that Acronis had no choice but to take a back seat approach with this forum, not unlike other software and hardware vendors. As the customer base grows, the cost of maintaining these forums becomes untenable.

I'll say this one more time and then I won't pursue this thread any further. Over the last week or so, I filed three different support queries with Acronis, using the procedure outlined on the sticky at the top of this forum; and received replies to two of them within 48 hours. The only one that's oustanding has to do with the Media Builder to floppies functionality, whereby the rescue set works fine in SAFE mode but not in full mode - I get an error message as soon as I insert the first disk, something to the effect that it isn't a system disk. So it looks like the Media Builder algorithm fails to transfer the system files onto the disk, hence it's not bootable.

Cheer up guys, chill out. Keep the dialogue on a positive note. Life is too short to get aggravated over this.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.