Will there be more updates to TI9 Home?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tachyon42, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unimatrix

Unimatrix Registered Member

Re: Will there be more updates to TI9 products

hi seek,
    if you have trouble with the current ati release, it is probable that the enterprise customes have the same problems.

cause the products have in fact, at binary the same basics.

I wont any trouble and i wont post each bug in this unstruced forum.
    I need a working DRS that works like a ati home version.

There are no differents between rebuild a home computer or a server system .
    Thats the basics...its only your system. And you need a running one.

Unimatrix :thumb:

2. AlaninKY

AlaninKY Registered Member

Based on past history I figure there will not be any new True Image 9 updates.
    I have had best results backing up and doing restores using USB external hard drives instead of DVD disks. It's work using DVD disks to do backups and having a DVD disk go bad can hurt. I rotate 3 external USB 250 GB hard drives to do my backups just in case one of the external hard drives go bad I still have my backups on the other two external drives.

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

;) I most certainly would if I could, I promise!

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Even though it was a very often requested feature direct writing to DVDs is a poor way to do it given the availability of fairly inexpensive HDs and external HDs. If you want to put an archive on a DVD there always was the "2-step" process which IMO is a lot better. Restoring from DVDs is very slow.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

You can add the following to the list of known undesirable "features" that are still present in TI 9.0 Home Build 3677 (I did warn that there may be others that I had forgotten about):

<Build 3567 - Unnecessary Verification?>

Acronis Support - Have these old anomalies been fixed in TI 10 Home (perhaps someone who has upgraded could check them out and report back their findings)? Shame on Acronis if they haven't :mad:.

Whether they have or haven't, as I said previously, Acronis should incorporate the fixes in a one-off free update to TI 9.X before abandoning further development for that version.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  6. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Acronis should indeed release a last TI 9 build with all these promised fixes!

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Another off-topic response removed. Let us remember no matter how frustrated we may become that this is the Acronis support forum.

8. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Quite right Detox, but remember.... we are fuming!

F.

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Yes indeed... and I will not try to tell you that I do not understand. However... if anyone tries (like the post I have removed) to plug software here - it will be removed.

10. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Well, if this is the Acronis Forum.........WHERE ARE THEY!!!

11. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Yes, shame on Acronis.:thumbd:

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

One post was removed as moderated actions are not open for public debate\comment.

This thread is now filled by numerous posts concerning Acronis support or lack there of in regards to an Acronis response to this thread. Most of those are by the same members and We will now await a response hopefully from an Acronis representative when they are able to respond to this thread. In the mean time....We are done with the thread crapping in this thread and suggest other forms of displeasure with the lack of response to this thread by Acronis support....e-mail, phone calls, pocket book....etc. Any further such OT posts will be removed without further comment.

Regards,
    Bubba

13. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I doubt that there has ever been a significant product that included fixes for ALL know nproblems before/after the next major version was released.

However, Acronis does owe us an answer as to whether there will be further builds for TI 9.

If the answer is "Yes", great, but give us a guesstimate of when the critter can be expected. Even if there is a further build, it would not be unexpecte dthat not all problems will have been fixed.

If the answer is "No, fine, that's their (poor) business decision, and we can each decide whether to contribute further dollars, euros, etc. to Acronis'
    coffers.

14. seekforever

That, for better or worse, is indeed the reality of the situation! People with a lot of time as well as money invested in TI will have to make their "business" decision about which way is best for them.

15. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tachyon42, Menorcaman and all other posters.

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

As I said in post #72 of this thread at this moment we can not answer this question since this question is still under consideration. I would like to assure you that as soon as the information about new build(s) for Acronis True Image 9.0 Home will be avaliable I will post it in this thread. As this can take a few days, we apologize in advance for any delay with response.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

16. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Just to add my two penn'orth, it would seem reasonable to me for Acronis to attempt to provide just one more bug fix to v9.0 3677, covering two problems.

One is the DVD issue, whilst I don't use this facility, it is obvious that a number of people had purchased and looked forward to this facility working properly in v9 - and as an extra backup plan for those extra security conscious people it makes sense.

The other is the mouse problem using the rescue CD - it seems very strange to me that at one time this was not a problem, but the alteration to allow one CD to boot all installed Acronis programs somehow broke the driver/kernel.

It would be nice for Acronis to perhaps explain how this happened and why it is not possible to fix this.

Fixing those two and I'm not saying they are the only two, would possibly make v9 players reasonably content.

After all v10 has extras which will tempt people - Vista compatibility, the extra backup naming option, the Outlook backup (which appears to have a problem of its own) - but these are all new features that will tempt people to purchase v10 - the other issues are often reported bugs that should not only be eradicated in v10, but be settled in v9. That might even give some people the confidence to upgrade to 10 in the near future.

Me, I'm thinking of upgrading to the workstation version and will await the next version of that before upgrading.

Colin

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  17. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I can think of a few versions of Symantec/Norton stuff that was pretty wonky for a lot of users and some of the fixes were in the later versions, not updates to the wonky versions -- anyone remember the 2004 version of Internet Security?

And genrally, Acronics support is pretty good, all things considered. While hope Acronis emulates a better support model than Symantec, I don't expect anyone to make perfect software. I wish I could but I don't know anyone that does it, except maybe with a small, single function utility, although even those might have probs with interactions with other software.

Few companies guarantee that software will work in all circumstances except that some will carry a guarantee as far as a money-back, which I believe Acronis does.

At least Acronis maintains these forums, which is more than many companies will do, even though support forums are places that attract a lot of the discontent conerning the product. I've never had to wait more than a day or two or three for an answer form Support although these forums are usually a faster way to get answers.

sh

18. Menorcaman

Hi schieber,

On the other hand, Ahead Software continued to issue updates to Nero 6.0 for a period of time after they released Nero 7.0.

The point I'm making is that the latest releases of TI 9.X still contain a number of, well documented, hardware and software independent anomalies. Can we assume these basic problems have been corrected in the newly released TI 10? If so then, given the likely high commonality in their code base, it should not be too difficult to incorporate the corrections in a further update to TI 9.X. I await Acronis' forthcoming decision on this matter with interest.

On the other hand, if TI 10 has been released containing some or all of these known anomalies then, notwithstanding their awaited decision regarding future updates to TI 9.X, I'm afraid Acronis deserves to receive all the additional stick it gets.

Regards

19. seekforever

I agree with you. Neither is an issue for me but I do feel that they are flaws that should be corrected as a bug fix not as a new feature.

I also think the PR gained in doing this would actually result in more purchases of TI10 than not doing it. I know I would have increased confidence in Acronis' committment to the product and would consider TI10 which right now I am not.

20. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Regarding the DVD issue, when the direct to DVD feature finally appeared most people thought it was a desirable one until they found out how slow a process it is compared to using an external drive. I just can't see anyone wanting to do the direct to DVD process. The 2-step method, yes.
    The mouse problem with the Rescue CD seems to be a hardware compatibility issue. I have come across one laptop where it didn't work, but it works for the majority of systems. Using the keyboard keys was no problem to accomplish the procedure though.

21. Menorcaman

Hi Ralphie,

Imaging to DVD was always known to be a slow (and somewhat unreliable) process, whether you used the original method (UDF packet writing to preformatted DVDs) or the Two-Step method. Despite this, numerous users requested that Acronis develop a stand-alone method of imaging direct to DVD :p o_O.

Regards

22. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Time to get some shuteye, Menorcaman. It must be at least 2 in the morning on Wednesday. :D :D You need to get ready for the next round of bug reports. :D :D

23. jelenko

jelenko Registered Member

I couldn't agree more. I'm holding off buying TI 10 for that very reason.

If the vendor doesn't fix problems with a given release, what can you trust them to do? This lack of trust is compounded when their releases are buggy.

I also had a bad experience when first trying to download a trial version. The link claimed it was 3666, but the file actually downloaded was an earlier version. Support never checked it out. Just kept giving me different links - all leading to the same outdated file. Went thru four cycles over several days.

Overall, the company seems to be run by 'developers' or 'marketers' - i.e., not much discipline is the day to day operations. For most 'developers/marketers' day to day operations are menial tasks - i.e., not very important.

Right now I'm using TI just to image a fresh build - using another app for daily backup of user created data/configurations.

24. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Not sure which planet you are on jelenko, but it's a different one to mine. Talk about sweeping assertions.o_O

F.

25. gpsmikey

gpsmikey Registered Member

I also bought version 8, never was able to get the issues resolved but
    still bought the version 9 upgrade in the hopes the bugs would get resolved.
    There are a limit to the number of times I will take the same bait.
    I am tired of backups that can't be trusted, things that only work on
    Tuesday because the "tuesday bit" is set etc. I have tried the "fixed"
    versions, spent lots of time reading the forums etc. Time to vote with
    my VISA -- my $$ are going elsewhere.
    :mad:
    mikey - I don't need fancy bugs, I need reliable !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.