Which Firewall Compatible with G-Data Antivirus?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by majid20, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majid20

majid20 Registered Member

Hi
    I use G Data Anti-Virus 2011
    I want to use a professional firewall that Compatible with G Data Anti-Virus
    Can you help me to know Which Firewall Compatible with G Data? (Comodo , Outpost , Online Armor , ... ?)
    Thank you

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

I think all of the ones you mentioned are compatible (obviously without bundled av modules)

3. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

You should then be using G Data Internet Security which is their AV and firewall. The G Data firewall is very compatible with the G Data AV. Or so one would think...

4. majid20

Thank you
    I saw this topic : Comodo Firewall not compatible with GDATA antivirus
    I think that user has G Data Antivirus 2009 or 2010 (Based on post's date)
    I want know that the problem solved in new versions or not?

5. majid20

I know but G Data firewall is so weak
    You can see the results in there : http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php
    I want the strong firewall

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

They tested the HIPS features. The firewall part is good in G-Data. In the Ask Mode it has decent HIPS. Matousec tested the product in their default settings.

7. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

No, it isn't. The Matousec test is a HIPS test, not a firewall test, no matter what they choose to call it. The G Data firewall is good.

8. majid20

You are wrong

firstly matousec is very famous Firewall outbound test ... not only for HIPS
    for example kaspersky 7 didn't has any HIPS Technology but reach good results
    or other firewall that didn't have HIPS

Secondary matousec explained the products settings in their test
    The products are configured to their highest usable security settings and tested with this configuration only

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

@majid20, I am a little wrong though. It indeed has some Firewall tests but mostly it is a test for proactive defense. Download any of the PDF reports and identify how many of them are for Firewall part.
    Kaspersky has an excellent HIPS and that's why it scored well.
    View the score for Sunbelt (formet kerio) firewall. No one can doubt that it is an excellent firewall, but scores poorly as it has not that strong HIPS.
    I may be wrong about the configurations used for testing but The after turning on the Ask mode and HIPS features G-Data scored decent in CLT test. So, I have enough doubts about this.

10. majid20

The first time Kaspersky used HIPS in their product was in 2009 (Version 8 to above)
    Old versions of kaspersky didn't have HIPS (Kaspersky 7)
    But the old versions in their time reach good result
    Why kaspersky without HIPS reach good result if it only for HIPS?
    Why matousec tests is very valid for firewalls?

I don't know , maybe you are right and I was wrong
    If it true, can you introduced the other site for firewall testing?
    (I mean for outbound testing not Inbound)

11. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

12. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

2009 was the first time Kaspersky called it HIPS and had a full scale Application control GUI element but many of the features you might associate with HIPS products were there in version 7. Pro-Active Defense (particularly if you put it in training mode) alerted you to all types of potentially malicious behaviour including code injections, key logging etc. It still does though many mistake the alerts for HIPS alerts.

I think you might find it was those features rather than the firewall that led to the Matousec score. Matousec even then had little to do with classic firewall capabilities.

Cheers

13. majid20

14. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

majid20 might be worth looking here http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/level.php?num=1 and running through the different levels of tests Matousec runs.

Many of those used in your Kasperky example will still be there. You will see from what they are trying to exploit that they are are some firewall tests (Echo, Yalta, TCP/IP filtering etc) but most are pro-active defence for autoruns, application launch, process termination, keylogging etc. It is not your firewalls job to deal with those. I would be any pro-active, behaviour blocking or HIPS functionality that should take care of these (according to Matousec at least).

As noted Kaspersky 7 may not have had HIPS bit it did have Pro-Active Defense.

Back on topic. In the short while I ran G-Data anti-virus Online Armor worked seamlessly with it.

Cheers

15. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I have been running GData A/V with Online Armor Paid for a few months & the two work great on by xp box.

16. majid20

ِThank you so much

17. majid20

If I want use Online Armor firewall , Is free version good enough or I must use Pro version?

18. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I think there is no difference between tham in the firewall part. Pro version has some added HIPS features. IMO free version is enough to do the job.
    You can also try Private Firewall.

19. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Been using G-Data I.S. 2011 for the past couple of weeks, and the firewall works flawlessly so far. Prior to using the suite I auditioned G-Data Anti Virus 2011 with P.C.Tools Firewall Plus and both worked harmoniously with one another. Sincerely...Securon

20. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

I have used GData IS for a couple of years now and in my experiences it is top notch. It just works. I have many licenses to other AV's but I keep coming back to GData. I also trialed GData AV with PC Tools firewall and Online Armor Premium and had no issues. I like the Suite and that is what I use. Fewer programs, to me, is less hassle.

21. majid20

Thanks a lot

22. sylreston

sylreston Registered Member

On my Win 7/64, G-data 2011 Outpost 7 FW are giving me corrupted downloaded files. Avira and Outpost 7 work great, and G-data and Win 7 FW work. Seems to have conflicts with Outpost and G-data, only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.