Firewall outbound control tester

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CloneRanger, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

LeakOut - Firewall outbound control tester

Following on from blacknight's thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=272900 i thought it might be enlightening to test/retest some other Leakers. There are several listed on the www, and the only one i havn't used before is this one.

http://mark0.net/soft-leakout-e.html

lo.gif

Tried it with FF v3 and IE6. Got prompted and denied = No go = expected. Got prompted and allowed = Go = expected.

loie.gif

Wasn't too happy about them being able to see my Machine/User name though when i allowed out :(

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Oops...:eek:

3. All the more reason to prevent malware from installing in the first place, then...

4. CloneRanger

I don't use IE full time anymore, only for testing etc, so i'm not worried about the Machine/User name result. I just wondered what method they were using to grab the info ? Java/javascript/activex/cookies etc were all disabled.

The point of posting this was, for others to try it and see what results they got from both vectors ;)

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I use Opera 10.53: Defense+ alerted me about LeakOut: if I deny, all right: LeakOut is blocked. If I allow, LeakOut can read Machine name and User.

6. Morro

Morro Registered Member

LoL PC Tools Firewall PLUS Hips function(If you can call it that) gave the choice...Allow/Block before LeakOut could do something, so i am not worried. :D

7. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Doesn't matter what browser you use. The program gets the machine name/user and sends it out via the default browser. This is a very basic test and most firewalls/HIPS can handle it.

8. markcc

markcc Registered Member

No problem for Online Armor

9. CloneRanger

Quote Espresso

Well that's just it, if this app can get our machine name/user, if we allow it, how many other apps/browsers etc that we allow every day can do the same, and upload the info to their www ? Not good :(

Sure blocking it from getting out seems easy for most, it's the machine name/user data that's more of a concern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.