Vista SP2 RTM - be careful!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jimwillsher, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOM2009

MOM2009 Guest

after doing some tests:

first of all the error comes sometimes, indepentent if UAC is enabled or disabled.

when the error comes. toggle the UAC setting and reboot. everything works fine until the next error come.

2. dannyboy

dannyboy Registered Member

I've never had UAC enabled, and have had both BSOD's and the red icon (EAV needs to be reinstalled) error.

I uninstalled SP2 for the time being.

3. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Registered Member

i wish they would release the next version that resolves this problem. :(

4. nrms

nrms Registered Member

Also, I dont know if this is relevant to giving a clue about the problem or not.

But under Relaibility & Performance (Resources Monitor/Overview); there is a measuring Applet called Memory Hard Faults/sec. I notice on the laptop that NOD32 is having a problem with Vista SP2 on, this value is *extremely* high - especially straight after a cold reboot. In fact Ekrn.exe is causing something in the order of 1700 Hard Faults/min settling down after a while to about 300-400 per min.

On my desktop PC the corresponding number is zero ("0") Hard Faults/min immediately after a cold reboot.

Now I don't know what this measure means!! But I do wonder it is a symptom of how unhappy Eset NOD32 is on this laptop. BTW, real physical memory is not an issue here since both the laptop & my desktop PC have 4GB RAM fitted (3.5MB usable).

NigelS

5. alexsch8

alexsch8 Registered Member

I installed SP2 on a Server 2008 x64 machine. Prior to installing the service pack I disabled NOD32's AV protection to avoid problems. SP2 installed with no problems but NOD32 will not start up properly. Specifically AMON will not start. I tried to repair NOD32 but it kept having issues uninstalling. I ended up deleting the ESET folder tree from the %ProgramFiles% folder and deleted the services manually from the registry. After another reboot I was able to re-install NOD32 but AMON still refuses to start. The other components do seem to work though.

6. hclarkjr

i wonder when the new version is coming?

7. GAN

GAN Registered Member

Until someone from Eset let use know no one can tell and Eset usually don't announce any release dates so i guess you just have to wait.

8. hclarkjr

Unfortunate that they choose to not announce these things. SP2 has been coming for awhile now, you would think this problem would have been ironed out by now.

9. sunfire7

sunfire7 Registered Member

I tried ESS .424 x64 on fresh install of vista x64 SP2 and the first time all went fine, but after reboot, same as other users here, ess is red and cant enable realtime prot and firewall, it says it needs to be reinstalled. When i try to uninstall, uninstall fails because lack of privileges on some files (ess selfsecurity I think). I have to reboot in safe mode and stop eset service in order to proper uninstall.

There are some weeks since sp2 rtm is out i hope compatible version of EAV & ESS be released soon !

10. dick w

dick w Registered Member

I would, but PMs appear to be broken at the moment. Are you still collecting data? I see most of these issues on a Sony laptop running Vista32 Ultimate and NOD32 4.0.424.0.

p.s., it might be wise for this thread to be merged with at least two others on this issue:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1463133
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=241416

11. hclarkjr

private messages work for me, i just sent one

12. dick w

dick w Registered Member

I just got this again:

vBulletin Message
    The private messaging system is currently unavailable.

13. hclarkjr

working fine for me, i just recieved one back also. looks like ESET has no update coming anytime soon from what i have been told. very sad that they are dropping the ball on this, kind of hard to recommend NOD32 when they pull stunts like this

14. MOM2009

MOM2009 Guest

nice: NOD32 is useless with vista sp2.

i works a few days. then you have to toggle the UAC setting. because realtime protection could not be started.

is it so hard to write functional software for windows vista?

a few month ago i switched from kaspersky to eset because kaspersky has massive problems with vista. and now i had the some problem with NOD32.

15. denno

denno Registered Member

can we clarify: are most people experiencing issues with 64bit Vista?

i have a fresh installed Vista Business SP2 (32bit) and was just deciding on which version of EAV to install, and this has spooked me :ninja:

16. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

nrms has 32bit

17. hclarkjr

if you did a fresh install you might be ok. that is what i did also but with the 64 bit version. mine installed fine right off the bat with the only problem being during one of the restarts from me installing software it come up disabled. then i started getting cold start ups with it disabled, that has happened to me 4 times in the 2 weeks or so i have been running NOD32 version 4. all i have to do in these cases is restart and all is well.

18. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I know I said earlier in this thread that I had no problems, but after a few days I had problems as well. I'm currently testing a competitors product and having better results. I like ESET and their products, but I don't have time for this anymore.

19. hclarkjr

moderator of this forum, could you please stick this thread at the top so it can help others out who are having similar questions and problems about this issue?

20. racketeer66

racketeer66 Registered Member

I joined the club, Guys. I run a Vista Sp2 x64, and have the same BSOD-problem at random reboots.
    Also have the realtime -protection error issue, randomly. Sometimes it emerges, then at the next boot it disappears.
    Eamon.sys seems the culprit to me, 'cause that's the very driver held responsible for my BSOD (message on screen).
    I've run Sysinspector, and sent the file to agoretsky. Hopefully he can work it out.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  21. dannyboy

dannyboy Registered Member

yes, it only affects x64 Vista, AFAIK.

22. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It depends on what problem you are having and what you are running. I was running ESS (w/firewall) on my 32 bit Vista laptop and the firewall would refuse to startup correctly more often than not. I still have 1 machine running EAV that is working ok. Too many variables. I'm sure that's why it's difficult for them to fix.

23. nrms

nrms Registered Member

NO

It doesn't - I am running Vista 32bit. Incidently *when* the Red Alert from ESet appears on rebooting, all you have to do is reboot again. I have found that invariably a second reboot is all that is needed to get Nod32 working again. Nevertheless, it is still annoying that it happens at all.

NigelS

24. racketeer66

racketeer66 Registered Member

Does the staus of UAC have any effect on this issue - I mean the tray - icon being red / green? And of course on the the more embarrassing phenomenon, the BSOD...

25. dick w

dick w Registered Member

I've rebooted my Vista32 SP2 box many times since this showed up--no joy. Only joy was upon uninstalling SP2. Reinstalled SP2. Problems return.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.