Nod32 not compatible with Vista SP2

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by nrms, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nrms

nrms Registered Member

After upgrading to Vista SP2, it has hosed my Eset Nod32 installation. After Vista restarts for the final time after SP2 is installed, The icon tray turns red: "A serious error has occurred - realtime file protection no longer active - software needs reinstalling".

However, I cant repair or uninstall since this leads to "not sufficient priviledge type errors" and a failed uninstall. I can't reinstall since it triggers the repair/uninstall options only, and as I said, won't allow it.

Any ideas? At the moment Vista SP2 is a no go, or else I have to uninstall my antivirus protection o_O

Not a happy client right now,
    NigelS

2. GAN

GAN Registered Member

There is a a couple of threads about this problem already and Eset is currently looking at the problem with Nod32/ESS and Vista SP2.

To remove nod32 at this point you could try to uninstall from safemode or you might have to do a manual removal of nod32. I had similar issues with nod32 and where able to uninstall, but only part of nod32 where removed during the uninstall. Had to delete folders and registry entries manually, reboot, disable a Eset service that was left behind, reboot and then i was able to delete the rest of the folders and registry keys before i had to reboot for the final time.

It's a bit of a mess when this happen, but the only way that worked for me is to remove nod32 the hard way as described above.

Gan

3. nrms

nrms Registered Member

Well I'm returning to a pre-SP2 image backup, and will try (i) uninstalling Eset NOD32 first (ii) upgrading to Vista SP2 without NOD32 and then (iii) reinstalling NOD32 afterwards to see whether this helps.

NigelS

4. JuliusB

JuliusB Registered Member

information how to fix privilege errors when uninstalling NOD32 is available in this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=241398

an again, I suggest trying to disable NOD32 self-defense to see if that fixes real time protection not starting and other errors like update errors.
    note that you can only disable self-protection when nod32 starts up correctly, otherwise you will get permission error.
    it's in the setup -> advanced setup window
    (at least until official fix is available)

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  5. GAN

GAN Registered Member

This is exactly what i did since i read some had issues when installing SP2 with nod32 already installed. That didn't work very well for me until i finally managed to get nod32 installed on the 4th try.

6. mongatu

mongatu Registered Member

I'm running Vista SP2 and latest 4.0.424.0 ver of EAV, UAC disabled. I disabled EAV before using the MS standalone installer to upgrade to SP2.

Upgrade went fine but on first reboot, experienced blue screen and then second reboot, red eset tray icon, serious error, eset needs to be reinstalled etc.

I just rebooted again and everything seemed to sort itself out and EAV appears to be working normally again after several more reboots without incident.

7. stratoc

stratoc Guest

im pretty sure microsoft advise removal of any antivirus/ security programs when installing a service pack. i always removal and re-install afterwards (and havnt had any problems)
    im sure i read this warning somewhere?

8. vizhip

vizhip Registered Member

Microsoft used to include the warning that you need to shutdown your anti-virus for ANY installation...

Of course, I ignore that because I want to make sure that the installation hasn't been infected somehow...

But I wouldn't place the blame completely on ESET for this one... Microsoft has released service packs in the past that had problems... can still remember having an AMD processor and the service pack causing major issues because of the hardware...

My suggestion (at least it is what I plan to do) is wait a bit on installing SP2 on Vista... and let Microsoft iron out the kinks they find... and watch for various bulletins on potential problems with the service pack...

Regards -
    -Bob

9. nrms

nrms Registered Member

Well, this method appeared to work, until I rebooted my laptop today for the first time since doing this upgrade, and guess what? NOD32 has turned red and now my AV setup is hosed.

Strange thing is both my other two PCs (another laptop and a desktop PC), have, so far at least upgraded to Vista SP2 with no bother and Eset NOD32 hasn't caused any problems at all. Go figure....

And another strange thing, when NOD32 goes red, if I just ignore it and reboot again, it starts up just fine next time....so not hosed afterall.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.