Virtualization/sandbox

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by nixie21, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

I give up trying to get greenborder pro working with my system...

What program is as good and as easy? Free if possible (I won greenborder, but it destroys my system!)

Thanks

2. nixie21

I installed sandboxie

Any comments / setup tips/options would be great!!

Thanks!

3. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

Hi nixie,

DefenseWall is very easy to use if you will pay. No config needed.

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am running Sandboxie. Not much to setup that I can see. I like it.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,Nixie21: If you are willing to pay. You may want to test this one; DeepFreeze standard. It is very simple to use, only thawed and freeze modes. The upside of it is: you can install app and test run it in freeze mode, it will vanish upon reboot. The drawback is : you can not keep any changes including tested app and you can not install apps requiring reboot. other than that, DF is a very solid and very safe product. I use it w/ these apps: ZASS,Avast home, prevx1, prosecurity free, AVG AS plus, BlackIce, wintatrol plus and SuperAd Blocker, no problems so far.

7. andylau

andylau Registered Member

I am using Sandboxie , it's quite good!

Or you may try BufferZone Pro:)

8. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

i believe you are on the right track with Sandboxie. it seems very secure for browsing, email, P2P, and you just will not find a more involved developer than Tzuk.

Mike

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Free ones- GesWall, Sandboxie
    Paid- defenceWall, GesWall Pro
    Just try one by one and see what u like. All are a bit different so u have infact many choices.
    Others are BufferZone, and virtualization products like DeepFreeze, ShadowSurfer( there used to be a free offer), ShadowUser etc.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  10. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Free: Geswall

Paid: Defensewall

11. korb

korb Registered Member

if powershadow consider as sandbox,then i recommand.(i thought P>S more like system restore)

12. nixie21

Thanks for the responses. I would prefer free :) I am trying sandboxie right now. What is the big difference between sandboxie and geswall? The thing I like about sandboxie so far is the ease of use. My wife can use it and if she does not download anything (very rare) there is no difference to her.

Thanks again

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

SandboxIE virtualizes all changes (fake registry, file system, etc.). Everything downloaded is re-directed to a copy of the real folder inside the sandbox. Not exactly like this, but this is enough. If you want to learn how it works, i can't explain more than Tzuk himself, in SandboxIE's site. Very well detailed.

Geswall is policy based, it allows you to save files in the right places from start, temporary files go to temp folders, etc., but during a isolated session, every file downloaded is marked untrusted, and can't touch the most important parts of your system. Rootkits are there, but can't do anything, keyloggers can't tap anything etc.
    Geswall's site is also good to understand, and the manual. Less to read too, lol, and too the point.

I have more faith in SandboxIE, since all goes to one folder that i can delete/erase. But geswall has good points, it's simpler to use in some cases.

14. nixie21

Thank you for that, I appreciate it!

15. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I use Powershadow exclusively. Mostly, I don't bother, but if I'm going to a site I haven't visited before, or downloading software even from a safe site, I engage Powershadow and haven't the least bit of worry about my computer being infected.

Sandboxie is good, they're probably all good, but I've yet to find anything to equal Powershadow.

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

To give an example, imo, Geswall would be best with P2P. Because i'm downloading things that i want to save, obviously. Geswall would silently block access to key parts of the system.
    On the other hand, one could say that it's no more dificult with SandboxIE. Since P2P programs will download all files to the same folder, you just tell SandboxIE which folder, and save what you want with just a few more clicks. And delete what you don't want with a click too.

My problem with that is i don't want to virtualize the whole desktop:eek: .

But it's all about opinions and flavours, so each chooses what he/she likes best, according to his/hers needs.

17. thedriver

thedriver Registered Member

Is a Sandbox really necessary with apps like PG and firewall etc?

18. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Not necessary, but very well recommended.

Thing is I don't trust myself to be so smart to rely on a classical hips only.
    For me firewall mostly protects my system from incoming attacks and against services I dont want myself to allow.
    PG lets me see what is running on my system. I have of course it not on learning mode, but even that can be helpful for seeing what is/have been running, but really it should be used for execution prevention.

The beautifull thing with sandboxing solutions is that they just work. Need not much deep security expertice to run them.

19. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

PG (and other HIPS) typically are your last line of defense. If they flag something, typically, it's already on your system.
    Sandboxed browsing, for example, keeps anything from getting on your system in the first place.
    Firewalls are a different story.
    I run my browser almost exclusively sandboxed, but I'm not tossing out my HIPS app. (yet).

Cheers

20. thedriver

thedriver Registered Member

Thanks I am not sure exactly how to run Sandboxie. I know I can delete all the browsing but should I delete each time? What will I do with web data I now save to my Documents. Should there be a copy in the sandbox and one outside, if it is safe or should the my documents folder be IN the sandbox?

21. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Every change made from browsing is virtualized- placed in the sandbox. Inside the sandbox, SandboxIE makes copies of the real folders where things would go without SandboxIE, as they are needed/used.

When you close the browser, you can recover what you want, and delete the rest. You just have to choose what folders SandboxIE should monitor, like "downloads" folder, and when you select "recover files", it will show what's in the "downloads" virtual folder (a mirror/ copy of your real "downloads" folder, inside the sandbox), and the other folders (any folder you want).
    This is true for documents, bookmarks etc.
    This is called the "Quick Recovery" function, to ease things. When you select to recover, those files are copied to the true folder, the one the sandbox mirrored.

SandboxIE has predefined settings for Firefox, IE, Outlook and Thunderbird, where you can choose what you want.

You can also explore inside the sandbox to recover files from folders you didn't specify in those settings.

I suggest reading from the source.

22. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

By default, (if you just close your browser) ALL browsing stuff is gone. History, cookies, nasties, EVERYTHING. You don't have to do a thing (pretty neat).
    Someone's prior post offers some good suggestions.
    Simply put, (before you exit your browser) you can right click on Sandboxie taskbar icon "Contents of Sandbox" / "Explore Contents" and there you will find all of your Sandboxed files which you are free to copy to your un-sandboxed harddrive.
    Download and play with it. Part of it's allure is that it is fairly intuitive. You needn't be terribly geeky to utilize it.
    Great feeling to surf feeling invulnerable.

23. nixie21

Using sandboxie for 2 days now, and it is very easy as stated. I like it very much...thanks!

24. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

What actually happens to deleted (sandboxie) fileso_O Couldn't find that at their site...

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I know this will sound a bit smart assed, but simply they are deleted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.