"View workgroup computers" Error

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by stueycaster, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

The other computer still has version 2.7. I can't put this thing on my wife's laptop til I know it's 95% perfect at least. She can't stand for anything to not work right and she hates changes. She does love playing with her computer though.

It's been about five hours now and all's well.

2. stueycaster

It's been about 10 hours now and all's well.

3. kwg

kwg Registered Member

I have also installed the .dat file supplied by Marcus, and then rebooted. I am using the latest version, ESS 3.0.566.

After rebooting, my computer is still unable to see other computers in my workgroup. My computer is also unable to see itself in the workgroup. In Windows Explorer I receive the error message that the workgroup is not accessible.

After uninstalling ESS, my network functionality returns to normal.

Off topic:

One of my computers using ESS grinds to a halt after a few hours of use, therefore requiring a reboot. Another of my computers, on occasion (and consistently after the first occasion), fails to start up at all. The latter problem is described here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=190881

I own a two-year ESS license for two computers, but I am about to remove ESS from both computers. I am also recommending that my clients do the same.

However, I remain willing to help Marcus with any testing. I hope that ESET gets these problems ironed out quickly. Based on ESET's history, ESS really should be the number one security program on the market.

4. kwg

kwg Registered Member

I am sure they are still working on it. After a difficult week, though, I hope they are taking a break this weekend.

5. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

im back on nod32 2.7 for the time being & trusting my nat router/win firewall to block incoming.. eset have refunded my ess license

hope it gets sorted for you guys, i just dont wish to be paying & wasting days/weeks/months on my license waiting for this to be fixed.

2 bad things eset did..
    - ignored it during beta, then assured me it was fixed in the release after RC1.

and email support once i'd purchased the ess license was kinda robotic...
    "there is a newer version v3.0.563 try it and see if it fixes it, we have no changelog, but it fixes some networkey stuff"

&

"there is a newer version v3.0.566 try it and see if it fixes it, we have no changelog, but it fixes some more networkey stuff"

kinda leaves me with a bad impression.. but they were VERY quick to refund :thumb:

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

That is why there are 30 day trial versions , KC . Next time use them for 30 days and on the 31st buy ESS :thumb:

7. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

tbh if an eset support tech says an issue is fixed, i should be able to trust that:D

8. stueycaster

It has stopped working again. It seems like it stopped after the other computer was shut off all night. For me it always worked the first day then the second day it stopped.

I can't see the blocked connections in the firewall log because I forgot to set it to log them. Now it won't change the setting. When I try it gives me a "Failed to change settings" error message.

9. stueycaster

I just did the reinstallation process and it started working again. It should stay fixed all day. This time I set it to log the blocked connections and it accepted the change.

Have you seen a change log Palombaro? It still doesn't show at the download site. I'd like to see it.

10. Palombaro

Palombaro Registered Member

No I haven't seen the changelog but Marcos in another thread said, '....no need to upgrade as the only change was a fix of the bug that prevented installation on certain systems when a network connection was already established', which is not the same problem as this.

11. stueycaster

Ok thanks.

12. Marcin_K

Marcin_K Registered Member

Today, without any conf changes, all works great again... Funny thing is yesterday I put the original .dat file again... Now I'm totally confused.

13. stueycaster

I just thought of something.

When I set up the network on the Ubuntu Linux side of my computer it took quite a while for it to show up. In the forum I found that it is normal for it to take as long as fifteen minutes. I've seen it take a while to start up in Windows too though nothing like Ubuntu.

This morning the first thing I did was to check to see if it was still working. Of course I had to turn on the other computer first. When I found that it wasn't I immediately reinstalled ESS.

Now you are saying it came back unexpectedly. Maybe I rushed the network. The next time I run into this I will wait a while and check it again before I decide it's broken.

14. tranglos

tranglos Registered Member

Same here, the latest ESS build installed yesterday, Nov 17.

I can do cd \\othercomp\share, and I can see the shares defined in My Network Places, but I cannot browse computers on the home LAN. At best only the local machine is shown.

I now have ESS running on both machines, but the problem occurred also when only one system was running ESS (and the other was not firewalled at all).

.marek

15. stueycaster

The best I can tell you is that Marcos has been in here and has tried to help us out with this. ESET is obviously working on it and my guess is that it shouldn't be long. If you want more details you can read through the posts on this thread.

16. stueycaster

After reinstalling ESS this morning I was able to view the workgroup right up until I shut down the other computer. Then about an hour later I turned the other computer on. Then I waited about 15 minutes and when I tried to view them again it didn't work.

Yesterday the other computer was left on all day and the view thing worked right up til bedtime. Then it was dead again this morning.

I think that after the workgroup has been broken by turning off one of it's members the firewall loses it and can't get it back.

Of course I could be wrong. Has anybody else noticed this behavior?

17. stueycaster

It started working again without me changing anything. The only thing I did was restart my computer. It just seems to me like it's something about it taking time for the workgroup to get back together after it's been broken. Does that make sense?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  18. stueycaster

I'm through trying to figure out what is wrong with this thing. I'll leave it up to the experts.

Today I came home from work, Started up the other computer, waited about 15 minutes then tried the view network thing. It didn't work.

I tried to call up the view workgroup link on the other computer and it didn't work.

Then I rebooted my computer and everything started working right again.

I guess I'll just wait til they fix it.

19. Tunerz

Tunerz Registered Member

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Yes, showing blocked connections
    5. No

Switching to NOD32 v3+Windows XP firewall for a while, will be switching back if this issue is fixed.:blink:

20. mlapoint99

mlapoint99 Registered Member

I have the same problem, and assume that others have as well, as I have been communicating with Eset customer support for a week now on this issue. The only replies I have had request that I run hijackthis and Belard Advisor after telling me I am the only one with the problem.

Here's what I can add:

My home network: 1 laptop and 1 desktop networked wirelessly through a Dlink DI 614+ router (Question is anyone having this problem using a Dlink router)

There is also a wireless HP deskjet 6980 printer on the network. (Question: Is anyone having this problem using a wireless printer?)

The log file also says that ESS believes it is under an ARP attack from devices in the trusted zone. (the printero_O)

For now, I have uninstalled ESS and installed NOD32 and Comodo firewall. Everything works great, however since I also have bought a 2 year subscription I need ESS to work reliably.

One final comment. I am sure that Eset customer support is overwhelmed with requests since they are in the midst of a major release, but replying to customers that have problems with inane computer generated answers 3 days after a service request was made is simply not acceptable. All customer support reps need to be made aware that this is an unresolved issue and inform the customer that they are working on it.

21. stueycaster

After copying the new dat file into the program file my View workgroup link works if I do the following:

Have the other computer turned on first. That computer is running ESET Antivirus ver. 3

Turn on this computer second. This one has ESS.

If this computer is already on when I turn that one on the workgroup won't show.

22. Palombaro

Palombaro Registered Member

Does it continue to work over a matter of days?

23. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

where do one get the dat file??

Ruben

24. dannyboy

dannyboy Registered Member

this is not a bug, it was possible with v2.7 too (and many other programs). It is down to the way Windows is designed, more than anything else.

25. mlapoint99

mlapoint99 Registered Member

:thumbd: New version does not fix the problem.:thumbd:

I have 2 computers networked wirelessly through a router used for printer and file sharing and internet access.

I Installed ESS 3.0.566 on my laptop. The Desktop is running with NOD32 and Comodo firewall. The Desktop is already connected to the network and shares are available. The Laptop is then booted after the desktop is on the network. ESS works flawlessly for 2 hours.

I then disconnect the desktop from the network. I immediately check "View network computers". After a few seconds delay, the dreade "The network not accessible" message pops up on the laptop with ESS. I reconnect the desktop to the network. The laptop is still giving the network not accessible message. Shared folders on the desktop are however accessible from the laptop and ping works even if if view network computers says otherwise.

I guess we will need to wait for another release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.